+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results

Thread: Mendez-Laing out for the season

Mendez-Laing out for the season

Harris at press conference today:

Nathaniel Mendez-Laing unlikely to play again this season

The big injury news from today’s press conference, and it’s not good.

Nathaniel Mendez-Laing is unlikely to play again this season after rupturing a hamstring.

On injuries, Neil Harris says:

“Mendez-Laing really bad news - probably won’t play again this season. That’s a real disappointment to us.

“Mendez has ruptured a hamstring and the early diagnosis is he’s very unlikely to play again this season. Certainly ruled out for the foreseeable future.

“At the moment, we have to assume the worst-case scenario.

“He’s been great around the place. I love winger in my team so it is disappointing.

“But there has to be an opportunity for someone else now. Murphy and Gav have to look at it and think they’ve got a chance. “

https://www.walesonline.co.uk/sport/...-live-17505827

Re: Mendez-Laing out for the season

Bad news. Match winner on his day

Quote Originally Posted by dandywarhol View Post
    Bad news. Match winner on his day
    But how often is it his day?

This mean Murphy stays?

It looked such an innocuous injury as well - hugely frustrating player, but there would have been a few games between now and May when he would look like the player he was at the back end of last season and the first month of 17/18.

This is a bad blow :-(

Not just for the lad himself but for the squad as it means we are light in the quality winger department.

Junior Hoilett picks himself when fully fit but he is getting on a bit and there needs to be competition for places.

Hopefully Murphy will see this as an opportunity and pull his finger out. Personally I have my doubts and hope NH gives Whyte a run of games.

When NML is confident and on his game, he is a special player.

Speedy recovery Nathaniel

Quote Originally Posted by MacAdder View Post

Not just for the lad himself but for the squad as it means we are light in the quality winger department.

Junior Hoilett picks himself when fully fit but he is getting on a bit and there needs to be competition for places.

Hopefully Murphy will see this as an opportunity and pull his finger out. Personally I have my doubts and hope NH gives Whyte a run of games.

Hoilett is only 29!

Quote Originally Posted by the other bob wilson View Post
    It looked such an innocuous injury as well - hugely frustrating player, but there would have been a few games between now and May when he would look like the player he was at the back end of last season and the first month of 17/18.
    You could see straight away it was bad as he couldn't catch a fairly easy through pass and the grimace on his face on the replay from the camera behind the goal line confirmed it.

He is a big unit and those standing start bursts are tough on the hamstrings.

Who knows, it may turn out to be a blessing in disguise as playing with two wingers hasn't been that effective.

Quote Originally Posted by Gnojek View Post
    Hoilett is only 29!
    Yes but he has been around a while and the years take their toll especially a winger cum wing back.

We will have to keep all three, Hoilett, Whyte and Murphy now....maybe. I don't think we'd get much of a fee for Murphy anyway,. and I did here Hoilett wants to go back to Canada, so maybe at the end of the season.

Quote Originally Posted by DJ Lee View Post
    This mean Murphy stays?
    Great huh, the lazy sulker

Quote Originally Posted by DJ Lee View Post
    This mean Murphy stays?
    Nah they’ll be knocking back the offers from clubs wanting to buy a winger they can’t use.

Hoilett is only 29.

I agree give Whyte a go .

Have thought this year though NML has been below his best ,he does pick up an injury most seasons? guess its due to the nature of his game?

What about that Spanish winger who was learning Welsh that we were rumoured to be signing ? ?

Quote Originally Posted by billy.ronson View Post
    What about that Spanish winger who was learning Welsh that we were rumoured to be signing ? ?
    Gone to Blaenau Ffestiniog, joined a choir & is learning how to play the harp apparently.