+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Which Regular Squad Players Are Not Championship Standard?

Which Regular Squad Players Are Not Championship Standard?

I wasn't lucky enough to be there yesterday, but did listen to the second half on the radio. I had one of those 'Oh Dear Moments' when the commentator said......."and Cardiff City getting ready to bring on their 'big gun' now with Glatzel strripping off."

Re: Which Regular Squad Players Are Not Championship Standard?

Quote Originally Posted by Peajay View Post
    I wasn't lucky enough to be there yesterday, but did listen to the second half on the radio. I had one of those 'Oh Dear Moments' when the commentator said......."and Cardiff City getting ready to bring on their 'big gun' now with Glatzel strripping off."
    Wrong question : "Which regular squad players are Championship standard ?"

Most of the squad are bang average Championship players at this stage of their careers. I think White is yet to prove he is able to be a regular Championship performer, Danny Ward disappoints everytime he starts a game rather than coming on when the game opens up and Nelson blows hot and cold. Others who have performed well for us or others in the Championship such as Bamba, Flint, Morrison and Pack all seem to be in decline. Bogle doesn't have it.

There seems no-one in the squad able to get the others to rise above mid-table mediocrity which funnily enough is where we are.

Considering we're a midtable side this year despite what's happened, players either out of form, injured or showing their mean average performance level is not quite the standard we hoped for, I would say it's very harsh to suggest they're not Championship standard.

A club without a good scouting network, who has ignored it's youth system, who has an ageing team and other clubs know they have money - is it any wonder we overspent last summer? And yet we're still midtable with a realistic chance of play-offs if players return to form in second half of season.

Most of the side are certainly good enough to play in the Championship, just as long as no-one expects them to do well and push for promotion! In an ideal world, we'd ship out and replace 75% of the current first team. Some might think that's a bit harsh, but it's not. The only ones that I would keep are probably Etheridge, Nelson, Pack, and Tomlin. Four from a squad of twenty is not good. The others are either make-weights, or are simply not trying hard enough.

I'm sure that some of the others COULD play better, but there's something not right with that side at the moment. They just don't see to gel, don't seem to play well together. The problem was there under Warnock, and is still there now with Harris. And there are too many of them who appear to be doing something, but don't actually achieve anything. Like Murphy, Mendez-Laing, Bacuna, Bennett and Whyte, for example. There is no end result, the final decision (be it a pass or a shot) is just not there.

International

Quote Originally Posted by A Quiet Monkfish View Post
    Wrong question : "Which regular squad players are Championship standard ?"
    you beat me to it!!!!

It depends what you mean by 'Championship standard'. Based on this season's performances, I think you could make a case that Ralls, Hoilett when he can be bothered and possibly Tomlin are good enough to finish in the top 6. The majority of the squad is pretty mediocre, but probably not so bad that they will get dragged into a relegation battle. There are a few players who are clearly not up to it at this level.

Quote Originally Posted by LeningradCowboy View Post
    It depends what you mean by 'Championship standard'. Based on this season's performances, I think you could make a case that Ralls, Hoilett when he can be bothered and possibly Tomlin are good enough to finish in the top 6. The majority of the squad is pretty mediocre, but probably not so bad that they will get dragged into a relegation battle. There are a few players who are clearly not up to it at this level.
    Absolutely spot on.

We built a team with a specific purpose. Outmuscle and outwork the opposition. Some of our players would look 10x worse in a more fluid team, whereas I’m sure people like Murphy would flourish elsewhere with a more expansive type of play.

Moving away from that formula as well as us looking more leggy is what’s kicking us. Warnockball can win promotion providing we’re quicker stronger and fitter than the opposition. I see a few have lost a yard of pace and others have lost a bit of desire to win every ball. That’s why we’re mid table.

Bacuna is a case in point. Earlier in the season he was playing in midfield with Joe Ralls and looked pretty decent. Recently he has been playing with Marlon Pack and been quite ordinary. He's good enough to perform well alongside better players, but he's not a difference maker by himself.

How many players would we miss if they left?

CardiffCitySince1927

Quote Originally Posted by LeningradCowboy View Post
    Bacuna is a case in point. Earlier in the season he was playing in midfield with Joe Ralls and looked pretty decent. Recently he has been playing with Marlon Pack and been quite ordinary. He's good enough to perform well alongside better players, but he's not a difference maker by himself.
    I would argue it was more Pack’s fault. He is so slow that Bacuna is left having to defend and pick up the defensive duties rather than pushing forward and helping make a difference.

CardiffCitySince1927

I’ll reiterate in the idea our squad is too big. Our squad has players that won’t be used in any case. Beneath will be the list I have decided upon should leave:
    J. Murphy, NML, Smithies, Morrison/Flint, Jazz Richards, Connolly, Whyte, Tomlin, Bogle, Madine.

Only ones worth their salt now are Ralls & Tomlin.

Others are either too inconsistent or complete garbage.

Quote Originally Posted by CardiffCitySince1927 View Post
    I’ll reiterate in the idea our squad is too big. Our squad has players that won’t be used in any case. Beneath will be the list I have decided upon should leave:
    J. Murphy, NML, Smithies, Morrison/Flint, Jazz Richards, Connolly, Whyte, Tomlin, Bogle, Madine.
    Oh well that’s that then, off they go.

CardiffCitySince1927

Quote Originally Posted by dembethewarrior View Post
    Oh well that’s that then, off they go.
    Obviously not. But they are the players who we can get the best money for/aren’t pulling their weight

Tomlin is our best player

Quote Originally Posted by 198bore View Post
    Only ones worth their salt now are Ralls & Tomlin.

Others are either too inconsistent or complete garbage.
    I agree with this.

We have plenty of Championship standard players, Morrison, Flint, Pack, Bacuna, Glatzel, Hoilett, NML, Murphy, Etheridge & Bennett but something is wrong with the mindset of the group.

Morrison is a completely different player to the one he was in 2017-18. Sol is 100% everytime, but lacking in ability. Bennett's final ball is dreadful. Tomlin is a fantastic footballer, but can't be trusted to lead the team. If the transfer window was later and we were safe, there is no one player or any amount of players I'd be concerned about losing

Only player I'd really be concerned about losing is Joe Ralls

Quote Originally Posted by CardiffCitySince1927 View Post
    Obviously not. But they are the players who we can get the best money for/aren’t pulling their weight
    We have a major problem in moving many players on.
    Murphy is a typical example - bought for £10M and might fetch £2M at most. Surely our balance sheet would take a hit ?
    You can probably use a similar example with 5-6 more players. Maxine at £6M another example although I am not sure how they amortise the fees over a period.

Quote Originally Posted by DubaiDai View Post
    We have a major problem in moving many players on.
    Murphy is a typical example - bought for £10M and might fetch £2M at most. Surely our balance sheet would take a hit ?
    You can probably use a similar example with 5-6 more players. Maxine at £6M another example although I am not sure how they amortise the fees over a period.
    Madine

Quote Originally Posted by cyril evans awaydays View Post
    Most of the squad are bang average Championship players at this stage of their careers. I think White is yet to prove he is able to be a regular Championship performer, Danny Ward disappoints everytime he starts a game rather than coming on when the game opens up and Nelson blows hot and cold. Others who have performed well for us or others in the Championship such as Bamba, Flint, Morrison and Pack all seem to be in decline. Bogle doesn't have it.

There seems no-one in the squad able to get the others to rise above mid-table mediocrity which funnily enough is where we are.
    A good assessment imo

They may see us into the play offs ,what that makes them so poor this season god knows , so many from the promotion side are under performing , perhaps its more about the squad aging, and being together too long ,with no real challenge for their place in the first team .

The loss of Gunnerson , Manga ,the Sala transfer fee , and the lack of a decent striker cant be underestimated enough

Quote Originally Posted by Peajay View Post
    I think most of our players are Champ standard but they're all so similar. There's no variety or creative spark, and they're all limited. A lot of them would get in other teams sides or squads but as a team, they're a mess.