+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Harris - you've got 90 minutes to save your job

Re: Harris - you've got 90 minutes to save your job

The current situation is entirely predictable, and is directly related to Warnock's decision not to step down after we got relegated last season. There was absolutes no case that could be made for him to stay on for just one season.

Quote Originally Posted by William Treseder View Post
    Not sure if you’ve chosen the right user name.
    Damned good reply...

Quote Originally Posted by blue lewj View Post
    Try five windows. He can't surely change the playing style until that time.

He's got to ship out the Warnock style players to buy Warnock style players to play Harris' version of Warnockball yet.

I for one can't wait.

Quote Originally Posted by Wales-Bales View Post
    The current situation is entirely predictable, and is directly related to Warnock's decision not to step down after we got relegated last season. There was absolutes no case that could be made for him to stay on for just one season.
    Yes there was, he wanted a ninth promotion and had, seemingly, made up his mind that it would be achieved with a team full of over priced players who would produce Warnockball at a level and intensity never seen before - we got that, but without the belief, spirit and teamwork you'd associate with his better sides..

Quote Originally Posted by Joe Gillis View Post
    Changing the manager can be the right answer providing you appoint the right manager. Anyone with any sense can predict how this appointment ends.
    Can you tell me who you think would do a better job? As far as I can tell 50% of the fans want passing football and 50% want a return to Warnock-ball but make it more successful, 50% want a longer term plan and 50% aren't going to be patient enough for that, those who want a manager who takes a more possession based style are ignoring that Warnock built a squad primarily based on character rather than technical ability.

Can anyone remind me how Pep did his first season at Man City? Didn't results and style only pick up after second summer window where he could spend a massive whack on two full-backs?

Quote Originally Posted by the other bob wilson View Post
    Yes there was, he wanted a ninth promotion and had, seemingly, made up his mind that it would be achieved with a team full of over priced players who would produce Warnockball at a level and intensity never seen before - we got that, but without the belief, spirit and teamwork you'd associate with his better sides..
    There's a skill involved in taking a very good promotion winning team and spending many millions on it to make it significantly worse. It's akin to a government promising in an election that it will put this right and that right, even though it caused those problems to begin with. Surely nobody would fall for that old chestnut....

Quote Originally Posted by surge View Post
    Can you tell me who you think would do a better job? As far as I can tell 50% of the fans want passing football and 50% want a return to Warnock-ball but make it more successful, 50% want a longer term plan and 50% aren't going to be patient enough for that, those who want a manager who takes a more possession based style are ignoring that Warnock built a squad primarily based on character rather than technical ability.

Can anyone remind me how Pep did his first season at Man City? Didn't results and style only pick up after second summer window where he could spend a massive whack on two full-backs?
    Maybe it's the people I talk to, but that's not the impression I get, I'm surprised at how many seem to have just had enough of the sort of stuff Cardiff City have become "renowned" for.

Maybe it's the people I talk to, but that's not the impression I get, I'm surprised at how many seem to have just had enough of the sort of stuff Cardiff City have become "renowned" for.
    Who wants to watch that football for however many years? I don't. I'm not sure I've met anybody that does.

50% is beyond stretching it.

Even if he got the team promoted he wouldn't be here to manage them. Somebody else would have to step in and try to survive in the PL with a team players they never chose. I don't know how the top brass at the club came to the conclusion that this might be a good idea. And that was the best case scenario!

Quote Originally Posted by Wales-Bales View Post
    Even if he got the team promoted he wouldn't be here to manage them. Somebody else would have to step in and try to survive in the PL with a team players they never chose. I don't know how the top brass at the club came to the conclusion that this might be a good idea. And that was the best case scenario!
    We appear to be run like a league 1 club, makes me think we’re more likely to end up there

Quote Originally Posted by goats View Post
    We appear to be run like a league 1 club, makes me think we’re more likely to end up there
    Things will only change if people vote with their wallets. If we go on a dismal run and end up nearer the relegation zone than the play offs by the end of the season, I feel as many as up to ten thousand might not renew their season tickets next year. Especially if we continue to play at home in the extremely poor manner we have. Tan is a businessman first and foremost, and will be horrified at the number of "customers" he will have lost. Then and only then, will he act accordingly.

Quote Originally Posted by Mr Soul '68 View Post
    Things will only change if people vote with their wallets. If we go on a dismal run and end up nearer the relegation zone than the play offs by the end of the season, I feel as many as up to ten thousand might not renew their season tickets next year. Especially if we continue to play at home in the extremely poor manner we have. Tan is a businessman first and foremost, and will be horrified at the number of "customers" he will have lost. Then and only then, will he act accordingly.
    What should he be doing? We clearly don't have the players to fast-track a more possession based, technical style so either nothing changes or things change slowly with mixed results until the summer. Some quotes to consider from Wayne Routledge:

"What he is doing with the club is the right thing to do," Routledge told BBC Sport Wales.
    "It's not as easy as picking up a team and saying do this and do that and it works.

"You have managers like Pep Guardiola and Jose Mourinho who can go out and buy £50m, £60m or £70m players and maybe it's a bit easier.
    "Here it's different. Sometimes you have to have a bit more patience and realise it's not a short-term process. It's going to be a long-term process but if that process gets you to where you need to be, it's worth sticking with."
    Do our fans have the patience required? Some grumble when ball is passed back to the keeper to reset...

Do our fans have the patience required? Some grumble when ball is passed back to the keeper to reset...
    Only because we know its going be wellied 70 yards back up the field

What should he be doing? We clearly don't have the players to fast-track a more possession based, technical style so either nothing changes or things change slowly with mixed results until the summer. Some quotes to consider from Wayne Routledge:

One thing that did get my goat yesterday was the fact that we still hoofed it up from the back to the forwards, thus bye-passing our midfield. I was kind of hoping, perhaps way too optimistically, that Harris would have been training with the players during the week, to actually play a much more passing route from the defence up to attack considering the lowly position of our opponents. Hoofball is all well and good when you are winning games, but when you are not, it's diabolical and embarrassing to watch

One thing that did get my goat yesterday was the fact that we still hoofed it up from the back to the forwards, thus bye-passing our midfield.
    We all knew when Harris was appointed he was Warnock-lite. He managed that way at Millwall, his only prior managerial experience to date, and there is nothing to suggest he will change that approach at Cardiff. Warnock certainly has a lot to answer for re the unbalanced and pedestrian current squad, but if Harris is given the time to add to/change the squad, I'll be stunned if he significantly deviates from a "let's bypass midfield (other than Tomlin)" approach.

Quote Originally Posted by Joe Gillis View Post
    Only because we know its going be sliced out of play before the half way line
    Fixed it.

Quote Originally Posted by MacAdder View Post
    This doesn't sound like Happy Talk to me
    He’ll probably be Glad it’s All Over though.

Quote Originally Posted by Trigger View Post
    some disappointing performances.
    That’s being a bit generous.

I agree with your sentiment but I wouldn't have thought that gate money goes very far at the club.