Quote Originally Posted by Tuerto View Post
Bob, absolutely no excuse for Coxe with the headed goal. Morrison was appalling in the fullback position, didn't get close enough but Coxe had one thing to do as there was only one man that he had to contest the cross with. He wasn't on his toes, almost as if he was't expecting the delivery, or certainly the quality of delivery. It was a brilliant cross that made the finish, but Coxe really needs to have a look at himself, he didn't even put himself in a position to contest the man, f not the ball. There's no excuse.
Okay, he was at fault, but I hope we aren't going to start judging youngsters by standards that are not being applied to some of our other full backs. Even Lee Peltier's far post defending has been poor at times and I hesitate to mention Joe Bennett these days in the company of the friend I watch games with for fear of hearing a list of the times he's been at fault for goals this season yet again - the problem being that I know most of what he says is right.

People are writing Coxe off in this thread saying he isn't good enough for the Championship, but, surely, one of the lessons of this season is that a lot of our senior defenders (almost all of whom will be thirty soon if they aren't already) are showing themselves to be not good enough for a side that we were told would be having "a right go" at promotion this season? Sol Bamba may well have improved after the age of thirty, but how many of our senior defenders are going to become better players than they were in 17/18 now - some of them are keeping their place on reputation alone at the moment.