+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Coxe

Coxe

Didn’t look like he was up to championship standard.

We have to persevere and allow him to develop but hasn’t really given Harris a selection headache.

Re: Coxe

That is a shame. I hope that he gets another chance as, for some reason, I have high hopes for him.

Quote Originally Posted by WJ99mobile View Post
    Didn’t look like he was up to championship standard.

We have to persevere and allow him to develop but hasn’t really given Harris a selection headache.
    Thought he was better in the second half. Difficult making a start in a team that's ambling along, playing crap football when you want to impress. Too early to write him off.

Joining our defence at the moment wouldn’t be an enviable task for any player, let alone a 21 year old making his first start.

Quote Originally Posted by Baloo View Post
    Joining our defence at the moment wouldn’t be an enviable task for any player, let alone a 21 year old making his first start.

I’m sorry but this just sounds like clutching at straws for those who are desperate for a local youngster to do well. Don’t get me wrong, I’m one of them, I really am. But let’s not make apologies. I know I’ve been guilty in recent weeks of being desperate for Harris to get a fair crack of the whip but, after what I felt were stern words post-QPR, he failed utterly to stop the performance that he “guaranteed” would not happen under him again. For the same reasons I can’t get excited by a performance from Coxe that wasn’t up to it just because we wish it had been!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Lord Dargavel View Post
    I’m sorry but this just sounds like clutching at straws for those who are desperate for a local youngster to do well. Don’t get me wrong, I’m one of them, I really am. But let’s not make apologies. I know I’ve been guilty in recent weeks of being desperate for Harris to get a fair crack of the whip but, after what I felt were stern words post-QPR, he failed utterly to stop the performance that he “guaranteed” would not happen under him again. For the same reasons I can’t get excited by a performance from Coxe that wasn’t up to it just because we wish it had been!!!
    It’s really nothing to do with him being local. It’s more to do with it being his second senior game and being a bit too early to write him off.

Bollocks !

Obviously too early to write him off but that was far from impressive. Not much going forward and weak defensively. On that performance Peltier and Jazz would still be my preferred first team choice.

Harsh to write him off in his first 1st team 90 mins in 4 months.

He should be given a championship game soon as can’t be much worse than Peltier and Richards for an isolated game and you’d soon see if he sinks or swims.

I thought he did ok, one second half block in our area stood out, stopped what would have been a certain shot on goal. I thought he didn’t hide at all and made himself available going forward. Should have been given the 90 and Bacuna/Tomlin should have been a straight swap with no reshuffle, in fact Bacuna got badly caught out again while in the full back role. More game time for Coxe is needed and introducing a couple of others from the young ranks wouldn’t go amiss, we aren’t going to be splashing the cash this window (and would Harris be trusted anyway a la Warnock). Could the youngsters be any less effective than the tired, old same old, same old? We’ll never know if they aren’t introduced.

Quote Originally Posted by Eric the Half a Bee View Post
    Thought he was better in the second half. Difficult making a start in a team that's ambling along, playing crap football when you want to impress. Too early to write him off.
    Totally agree. Not an enviable position to make your debut as part of our current defence.

He should be sent on loan to gain experience. League 1.

Our club has become a bit of an oddity regarding younger players (come to think of it, an oddity regarding many other things), we regard any player under 25 as a youngster who should be given a go. It’s the norm at many other club’s that 19 & 20 year olds are first team regulars, that Norwich 18 year old got 3 yesterday, including a pen, you’ve most probably got to have over a 100 games under your belt for our lot to trust you with one. All we’ve done over the years is buy over priced players to bloat the staff. It’s worked to a certain extent with our promotions but it seems we’ve come to a shuddering halt as regards splashing the cash. These kids (but in footballing terms, they aren’t kids, are they) need to be introduced to see if they sink or swim, they can’t be any worse than the tired old codgers that are first names on the team sheet at the moment, a bit of younger enthusiasm could pep things up.

Quote Originally Posted by splott parker View Post
    Our club has become a bit of an oddity regarding younger players (come to think of it, an oddity regarding many other things), we regard any player under 25 as a youngster who should be given a go. It’s the norm at many other club’s that 19 & 20 year olds are first team regulars, that Norwich 18 year old got 3 yesterday, including a pen, you’ve most probably got to have over a 100 games under your belt for our lot to trust you with one. All we’ve done over the years is buy over priced players to bloat the staff. It’s worked to a certain extent with our promotions but it seems we’ve come to a shuddering halt as regards splashing the cash. These kids (but in footballing terms, they aren’t kids, are they) need to be introduced to see if they sink or swim, they can’t be any worse than the tired old codgers that are first names on the team sheet at the moment, a bit of younger enthusiasm could pep things up.
    Agreed, Coxe was one of three players who could have cleared the ball before Sol Bamba gave away the penalty, but he was no more culpable than Ward, Morrison or Bamba.For the second, he lost his man somewhat, but it was a good cross and the guy who scored was a bit taller than him - anyway, we've seen plenty of far post defending by more experienced full backs, notably at QPR, that was as bad or worse.

To balance that a bit, I thought the block mentioned above was the best piece of individual defending by a City player in the game and he and Whyte were combining well down the right when Coxe was taken off - as I said in my blog piece, we got worse, not better when Tomlin and Glatzel came on.

Quote Originally Posted by the other bob wilson View Post
    Agreed, Coxe was one of three players who could have cleared the ball before Sol Bamba gave away the penalty, but he was no more culpable than Ward, Morrison or Bamba.For the second, he lost his man somewhat, but it was a good cross and the guy who scored was a bit taller than him - anyway, we've seen plenty of far post defending by more experienced full backs, notably at QPR, that was as bad or worse.

To balance that a bit, I thought the block mentioned above was the best piece of individual defending by a City player in the game and he and Whyte were combining well down the right when Coxe was taken off - as I said in my blog piece, we got worse, not better when Tomlin and Glatzel came on.
    Bob, absolutely no excuse for Coxe with the headed goal. Morrison was appalling in the fullback position, didn't get close enough but Coxe had one thing to do as there was only one man that he had to contest the cross with. He wasn't on his toes, almost as if he was't expecting the delivery, or certainly the quality of delivery. It was a brilliant cross that made the finish, but Coxe really needs to have a look at himself, he didn't even put himself in a position to contest the man, f not the ball. There's no excuse.

Quote Originally Posted by Tuerto View Post
    Bob, absolutely no excuse for Coxe with the headed goal. Morrison was appalling in the fullback position, didn't get close enough but Coxe had one thing to do as there was only one man that he had to contest the cross with. He wasn't on his toes, almost as if he was't expecting the delivery, or certainly the quality of delivery. It was a brilliant cross that made the finish, but Coxe really needs to have a look at himself, he didn't even put himself in a position to contest the man, f not the ball. There's no excuse.
    We’ve had plenty of individual errors though (flint, bamba QPR) so we should never rule him out completely, but I was gutted not for him not to grab his chance. Yes I do want players to do well just because they’re local.

How is a young player supposed to develop unless he plays? And how does the club find out if he is good enough unless they give hime a chance in the first team? On here some are writing off the lad after one;y his third game in two years.

Quote Originally Posted by WJ99mobile View Post
    We’ve had plenty of individual errors though (flint, bamba QPR) so we should never rule him out completely, but I was gutted not for him not to grab his chance. Yes I do want players to do well just because they’re local.
    I'm not ruling him out, it was piss poor defending. It was clear that he wasn't switched on and had put himself in a poor position, he didn't even make it difficult for the goalscorer due to his poor positioning and ball watching. He has to switch on and take these opportunites, it's down to him to show that he's good enough. He didn't do that yesterday and he'll probably know that.

Quote Originally Posted by cardiff55 View Post
    How is a young player supposed to develop unless he plays? And how does the club find out if he is good enough unless they give hime a chance in the first team? On here some are writing off the lad after one;y his third game in two years.
    He can cut out major **** ups like yesterday. That's the reality of the situation, i don't like it as much as the next City Fan, but that's the way it is.

Quote Originally Posted by cardiff55 View Post
    Playing in an experienced defence with Prem league experience against a side almost bottom of the football league, you'd hope for a decent performance at least..

I would like to see Coxe on a more regular basis

Quote Originally Posted by Lord Dargavel View Post
    Bollocks !
    Its incredibly harsh to write him off after two games 4 months apart

Quote Originally Posted by Tuerto View Post
    Okay, he was at fault, but I hope we aren't going to start judging youngsters by standards that are not being applied to some of our other full backs. Even Lee Peltier's far post defending has been poor at times and I hesitate to mention Joe Bennett these days in the company of the friend I watch games with for fear of hearing a list of the times he's been at fault for goals this season yet again - the problem being that I know most of what he says is right.

People are writing Coxe off in this thread saying he isn't good enough for the Championship, but, surely, one of the lessons of this season is that a lot of our senior defenders (almost all of whom will be thirty soon if they aren't already) are showing themselves to be not good enough for a side that we were told would be having "a right go" at promotion this season? Sol Bamba may well have improved after the age of thirty, but how many of our senior defenders are going to become better players than they were in 17/18 now - some of them are keeping their place on reputation alone at the moment.

It was a terrific cross, Morrison shouldn’t have given him so much space, but nonetheless he couldn’t have put it into a better position.

Yes, Coxe was caught under it and ball watching a tad, but as a young defender he’s going to make mistakes.

Alexander Arnold is arguably the best attacking full back in the world right now but his defending still needs to be worked on.

If Cardiff City are going to bring youngsters through then some patience is needed. They are going to make mistakes as they learn the game.

CardiffCitySince1927

He was deployed as a wide midfielder over a rightback. That was because we were chasing the game. So I would not judge his ability yet