+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Coxe

Re: Coxe

If Coxe is gonna drop a couple of bollocks while he's learning then I'd rather he does it in the FA Cup than a league game.

Harsh to write him off after 1 game though.

Quote Originally Posted by Lord Dargavel View Post
    Bollocks !
    I think he'll penetrate well once he gets near the box.

Quote Originally Posted by the other bob wilson View Post
    Okay, he was at fault, but I hope we aren't going to start judging youngsters by standards that are not being applied to some of our other full backs. Even Lee Peltier's far post defending has been poor at times and I hesitate to mention Joe Bennett these days in the company of the friend I watch games with for fear of hearing a list of the times he's been at fault for goals this season yet again - the problem being that I know most of what he says is right.

People are writing Coxe off in this thread saying he isn't good enough for the Championship, but, surely, one of the lessons of this season is that a lot of our senior defenders (almost all of whom will be thirty soon if they aren't already) are showing themselves to be not good enough for a side that we were told would be having "a right go" at promotion this season? Sol Bamba may well have improved after the age of thirty, but how many of our senior defenders are going to become better players than they were in 17/18 now - some of them are keeping their place on reputation alone at the moment.
    I hear what you're saying and i'm not writing him off. I'd like him to do well. I don't think that we can compare him to seasoned players like Bamba, Peltier etc, they've proved themselves time after time at this level, yes they're good for the odd mistake, but they've put themselves in a position where they can make the odd mistake because they have an element of pedigree behind them, they have a history of getting it right.

For Coxe it's different, that may not be fair, but he has no history, same as any young player who breaks through, they have to prove that they're up to it. You can't make comparisons, he stands alone when he gets an opportunity. His mindset yesterday should've been one of complete selfishness, he has everything to prove and the way that our fullbacks have performed this season then with a very good performance he could have had a sniff.

Quote Originally Posted by J R Hartley View Post
    It was a terrific cross, Morrison shouldn’t have given him so much space, but nonetheless he couldn’t have put it into a better position.

Yes, Coxe was caught under it and ball watching a tad, but as a young defender he’s going to make mistakes.

Alexander Arnold is arguably the best attacking full back in the world right now but his defending still needs to be worked on.

If Cardiff City are going to bring youngsters through then some patience is needed. They are going to make mistakes as they learn the game.
    I don't think that Liverpool are that concerned over Alexander Arnolds ability to get caught out of position on occasion or getting dragged a little further up the pitch than required. If he was a better defender then his attacking prowess would be nullified, the trade off wouldn't be to liverpool's advantage.

Quote Originally Posted by mazadona10 View Post
    I would like to see Coxe on a more regular basis
    Oooh err!

If Cardiff City are going to bring youngsters through then some patience is needed. They are going to make mistakes as they learn the game.
    I agree......remember Adam Matthews when he was castigated by DJ for a bad back header......they will learn....the questions is how long it TAKES to learn. He needs more game time at senior level.....maybe as sub IF we are ever ahead in a game....

It was a terrific cross, Morrison shouldn’t have given him so much space, but nonetheless he couldn’t have put it into a better position.

Yes, Coxe was caught under it and ball watching a tad, but as a young defender he’s going to make mistakes.

Alexander Arnold is arguably the best attacking full back in the world right now but his defending still needs to be worked on.

Yes, it was Morrison as the deepest defender, when every other player had pushed up, who played their guy onside. Then he went over and was beaten easily to let the player put in the cross, which I don't think Coxe or Smithies was expecting. Great cross though. All three of them , Coxe, Smithies and Morrison were caught out.

Yes he was culpable in the 1st 2 goals. But his all round play was good. He is far more capable of proudctive build up play than Peltier. I was surprised when he was taken off. He was really coming into the game. He made a number of good runs which our midfielders or defenders either didnt see or were incaple of executing the pass for. It speaks volumes for the boy that he was able to improve after an indifferent 1st half. It suggests he has a good character. I agree with Bob that Bacuna should have gone off for Tomlin.

Quote Originally Posted by Garth Blue View Post
    Yes he was culpable in the 1st 2 goals. But his all round play was good. He is far more capable of proudctive build up play than Peltier. I was surprised when he was taken off. He was really coming into the game. He made a number of good runs which our midfielders or defenders either didnt see or were incaple of executing the pass for. It speaks volumes for the boy that he was able to improve after an indifferent 1st half. It suggests he has a good character. I agree with Bob that Bacuna should have gone off for Tomlin.
    He's a defender and he had a part to play in both goals scored against us, i don't want to sound like i'm heartless, because i'm not, but he has made it a little bit easier for Harris not to select him. What people are failing to see (in my opinion) is that chances are going to be few and far between for him, he really had to just do the basics right yesterday, worry about his own performance, he came up short on a couple of occasions.

Quote Originally Posted by Tuerto View Post
    I hear what you're saying and i'm not writing him off. I'd like him to do well. I don't think that we can compare him to seasoned players like Bamba, Peltier etc, they've proved themselves time after time at this level, yes they're good for the odd mistake, but they've put themselves in a position where they can make the odd mistake because they have an element of pedigree behind them, they have a history of getting it right.

For Coxe it's different, that may not be fair, but he has no history, same as any young player who breaks through, they have to prove that they're up to it. You can't make comparisons, he stands alone when he gets an opportunity. His mindset yesterday should've been one of complete selfishness, he has everything to prove and the way that our fullbacks have performed this season then with a very good performance he could have had a sniff.
    We started off with a back five at QPR and brought on another defender. All six of those players were culpable for at least one of the goals we conceded. Sean Morrison wasn't involved on Wednesday, but he was one of three players besides Coxe who made mistakes with the first goal and he could have done more to prevent the second one. Danny Ward's poor header and Sol Bamba's needless challenge were contributing factors in the first goal - I don't get why the errors made by experienced defenders in recent matches as part of a defence that has the second worst away goals conceded record in the Championship should somehow count for less than the ones made by a youngster getting a rare first team chance.

Quote Originally Posted by the other bob wilson View Post
    We started off with a back five at QPR and brought on another defender. All six of those players were culpable for at least one of the goals we conceded. Sean Morrison wasn't involved on Wednesday, but he was one of three players besides Coxe who made mistakes with the first goal and he could have done more to prevent the second one. Danny Ward's poor header and Sol Bamba's needless challenge were contributing factors in the first goal - I don't get why the errors made by experienced defenders in recent matches as part of a defence that has the second worst away goals conceded record in the Championship should somehow count for less than the ones made by a youngster getting a rare first team chance.
    Sorry Bob, for me it's a separate issue. Yes they all made mistakes, but it doesn't make the equal in terms of opportunity, that may not be fair like i've said in previous posts. The other players you've mentioned have done their time, we know what they're about, mistakes and all, consistency, ability, strengths, weaknesses, character etc. We don't know anything about Coxe, that's why he's being analysed, the same thing would have happened if we had signed a fullback from any club at any level making his debut, he would've been scrutinised more. The fact is that Coxe has it all to prove and he isn't going to get a place in the team making mistakes like that. I hope he's given more time, somehow i doubt it.

Give the lad a chance and dont be too quick to judge. His general play was good and he seemed to grow into the game.I think the rest of the team tried to shield him in the first half and he must have felt a lot of pressure not to let himself down in a team lacking confidence.
    There were signs that he will come good with time.Its too much to expect him to be outstanding at this stage. Young players must be given time.
    If want our youngsters blooded then we are need to be encouraging and a little bit patient.

Quote Originally Posted by Baloo View Post
    Joining our defence at the moment wouldn’t be an enviable task for any player, let alone a 21 year old making his first start.
    Indeed , best time is when the pressure is off and they can play and develop without worry , thought this game would be an ideal one for him.

Guess mistakes under performances are part of the overall development process?

I'd pat him on the back and say , your in for the replay son.

Quote Originally Posted by valley boy View Post
    Give the lad a chance and dont be too quick to judge. His general play was good and he seemed to grow into the game.I think the rest of the team tried to shield him in the first half and he must have felt a lot of pressure not to let himself down in a team lacking confidence.
    There were signs that he will come good with time.Its too much to expect him to be outstanding at this stage. Young players must be given time.
    If want our youngsters blooded then we are need to be encouraging and a little bit patient.
    I hope that he gets another chance and i hope that he's good enough to play regular first team football. He's 21 and Professional, he has to take these opportunities and he'll know that. I'd bet that he's quite disappointed with how it went for him as well, and so he should be as it means that he can do better. We as fans can be as patient and understanding for as long as it takes, the manager can't and wont be.

Harris taking off Coxe was telling. He preferred to play a central midfielder at right back rather than keep the right back on. Would be surprised to see Harris give Coxe another chance. At least for a while..

Sorry Bob, for me it's a separate issue. Yes they all made mistakes, but it doesn't make the equal in terms of opportunity, that may not be fair like i've said in previous posts. The other players you've mentioned have done their time, we know what they're about, mistakes and all, consistency, ability, strengths, weaknesses, character etc. We don't know anything about Coxe, that's why he's being analysed, the same thing would have happened if we had signed a fullback from any club at any level making his debut, he would've been scrutinised more. The fact is that Coxe has it all to prove and he isn't going to get a place in the team making mistakes like that. I hope he's given more time, somehow i doubt it.
    I’ve had to write off past seasons. I can’t justify players getting away with things just because they’ve done better in the past, all signs point to things being on the decline in terms of performance, I’d rather give a chance to a youngster who tries, makes runs etc than keep going with experienced players who we know will never do those things and yet they continue to make mistakes and pump out shit performances.

He's 21. Not 16. He's supposed to be a future Championship or higher player. He just played agaist a team that 21st in Division 4 and did not do well. I'm not "writing him off". But it doesn't bode well. Having said that, why don't we just give him a run and find out for sure? We're not getting relegated and we shouldn't be thinking about the playoffs. We should be thinking about the future. And knowing whether or not he could be a part of it would be helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by NYCBlue View Post
    He's 21. Not 16. He's supposed to be a future Championship or higher player. He just played agaist a team that 21st in Division 4 and did not do well. I'm not "writing him off". But it doesn't bode well. Having said that, why don't we just give him a run and find out for sure? We're not getting relegated and we shouldn't be thinking about the playoffs. We should be thinking about the future. And knowing whether or not he could be a part of it would be helpful.
    100%

Can't believe people are writing someone off based on 2 first team appearances. Our fans are ****ing nuts.

Quote Originally Posted by Croesy Blue View Post
    Can't believe people are writing someone off based on 2 first team appearances. Our fans are ****ing nuts.
    I thought he did ok .
    Not up to the Real Madrid standards demanded on here admittedly.

Particularly the second half he appeared to be getting forward to good affect , he is on the opposite side to me , maybe I had it wrong? I was very disappointed when he was taken off.

Quote Originally Posted by dembethewarrior View Post
    I’ve had to write off past seasons. I can’t justify players getting away with things just because they’ve done better in the past, all signs point to things being on the decline in terms of performance, I’d rather give a chance to a youngster who tries, makes runs etc than keep going with experienced players who we know will never do those things and yet they continue to make mistakes and pump out shit performances.
    I agree that things are on the decline in terms of performance, and that obviously means the players that we have at the moment. For me though, that doesn't mean that Coxe should be in the team because other players aren't performing as well as they should be, or maybe they're done now. As fans, we don't get to see training sessions, most of us don't watch u23 games so it's easy for us to say that Coxe should be given his chance, based on what? I'd love him to do well, it would be fantastic to have a young player who has come through the system playing most weeks. The reality is that Harris has to make a call and i suppose he's most qualified to do that as he sees them every day.

Quote Originally Posted by Jimmy the Jock View Post
    I thought he did ok .
    Not up to the Real Madrid standards demanded on here admittedly.

Particularly the second half he appeared to be getting forward to good affect , he is on the opposite side to me , maybe I had it wrong? I was very disappointed when he was taken off.
    I'm banging on a bit here, he's a defender first and foremost, anything after that is a bonus, that's how he would see it. He didn't defend to well against Carlisle.

Quote Originally Posted by City123 View Post
    100%
    That's fine if he actually has a future, none of us know what he's like as a player, apart from against Carlisle. We can't just throw players in because we are on the decline, they have to be better than what we already have. I have no idea if Coxe is better than our current fullbacks.

I'm banging on a bit here, he's a defender first and foremost, anything after that is a bonus, that's how he would see it. He didn't defend to well against Carlisle.

The days of fullbacks defend first and foremost are long gone. They are just as important to attack as they are defence these days.

Many on here, yourself included, have been critical of our style of play and fullbacks not getting forward.

That's fine if he actually has a future, none of us know what he's like as a player, apart from against Carlisle. We can't just throw players in because we are on the decline, they have to be better than what we already have. I have no idea if Coxe is better than our current fullbacks.
    Which is why we need to give players opportunities. Coxe has played 2 games this season, 4 months apart, that's not a fair chance by any stretch of the imagination and doesn't give him a chance to prove he can be the future at right back

This club has wasted millions on "proven" players who've only proven themselves to be no better than what we already had, but for some reason we refuse to give opportunities to players who are already here, its baffling

Swansea were on the decline and threw in James, Rodon and Roberts amongst others, those three are all full internationals now and heading to the Euros