+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Coxe

Re: Coxe

In a recent league game Middlesbrough played 7 academy products, and they won 1-0.

They'll probably end up being mid table as well as us, but if a couple of those youngsters make the step up to playing at this level or potentially higher then this will be a good platform for them to build on in future seasons

Quote Originally Posted by Henry Hill View Post
    The days of fullbacks defend first and foremost are long gone. They are just as important to attack as they are defence these days.

Many on here, yourself included, have been critical of our style of play and fullbacks not getting forward.
    I get your point, but they are still defenders when the opposition have the ball, their roll has changed massively over the past ten years or so. I'm pretty sure that if Coxe was asked what he would've liked to have improved on against Carlisle, the answer wouldn't be the attacking side to his game.

Quote Originally Posted by City123 View Post
    Which is why we need to give players opportunities. Coxe has played 2 games this season, 4 months apart, that's not a fair chance by any stretch of the imagination and doesn't give him a chance to prove he can be the future at right back

This club has wasted millions on "proven" players who've only proven themselves to be no better than what we already had, but for some reason we refuse to give opportunities to players who are already here, its baffling

Swansea were on the decline and threw in James, Rodon and Roberts amongst others, those three are all full internationals now and heading to the Euros
    I'd love him to get a chance. Problem is that he may not be deemed good enough or trusted enough. Football is an odd industry, young players are given contracts relatively cheaply and monitored in training and reserve games, plenty of then don't get a sniff because the manager doesn't trust them to perform. I'm with you on this one, although i can't see it happening.

Quote Originally Posted by Tuerto View Post
    I agree that things are on the decline in terms of performance, and that obviously means the players that we have at the moment. For me though, that doesn't mean that Coxe should be in the team because other players aren't performing as well as they should be, or maybe they're done now. As fans, we don't get to see training sessions, most of us don't watch u23 games so it's easy for us to say that Coxe should be given his chance, based on what? I'd love him to do well, it would be fantastic to have a young player who has come through the system playing most weeks. The reality is that Harris has to make a call and i suppose he's most qualified to do that as he sees them every day.
    I just think if the established ones aren’t performing and they keep getting picked they’ll continue to make mistakes and won’t have the threat of competition.

Time for a few of them to wake up.

Quote Originally Posted by dembethewarrior View Post
    I just think if the established ones aren’t performing and they keep getting picked they’ll continue to make mistakes and won’t have the threat of competition.

Time for a few of them to wake up.
    Agreed, My point is that just because Bennett is shite, Peltier is getting older and not getting any better and Jazz richards isn't that great in my opinion, it doesn't automatically mean that Coxe deserves a chance. He might be worse than them, i don't know, and i suppose none of us really do accept the manager and the coaching staff. I'm sure that if Coxe was performing in training and reserve games, or whatever they are called now, Harris would have him in the team, why wouldn't he? Bennett has been a disaster this season.

Agreed, My point is that just because Bennett is shite, Peltier is getting older and not getting any better and Jazz richards isn't that great in my opinion, it doesn't automatically mean that Coxe deserves a chance. He might be worse than them, i don't know, and i suppose none of us really do accept the manager and the coaching staff. I'm sure that if Coxe was performing in training and reserve games, or whatever they are called now, Harris would have him in the team, why wouldn't he? Bennett has been a disaster this season.
    I understand your point mate, I’m not saying it should automatically make him a contender for a starting spot either, but in the flip side how long do we drag these players along who aren’t performing?

Quote Originally Posted by dembethewarrior View Post
    I understand your point mate, I’m not saying it should automatically make him a contender for a starting spot either, but in the flip side how long do we drag these players along who aren’t performing?
    I think that's the crux of the debate, none of our fullbacks have been great this season, Bennett has been awful, why not give Coxe a chance, i can definitely see what people are saying. What harm can it do

I think that's the crux of the debate, none of our fullbacks have been great this season, Bennett has been awful, why not give Coxe a chance, i can definitely see what people are saying. What harm can it do
    Exactly.

Quote Originally Posted by NYCBlue View Post
    He's 21. Not 16. He's supposed to be a future Championship or higher player. He just played agaist a team that 21st in Division 4 and did not do well. I'm not "writing him off". But it doesn't bode well. Having said that, why don't we just give him a run and find out for sure? We're not getting relegated and we shouldn't be thinking about the playoffs. We should be thinking about the future. And knowing whether or not he could be a part of it would be helpful.
    Once we know we're not going up or down (which won't be long) we should be phasing in players

Our players are aging (which isn't a problem providing the contracts given are value for money)

Ages
    Murphy - 36
    Bamba - 35
    Pelts - 33
    Connollly - 32
    Tomlin - 31
    Flint - 30
    Ethridge - 30
    Smithies 29
    Hoilett - 29
    Day - 29
    Madine - 29
    Ward - 29
    Morrison - 29

Don't get me wrong many players can play well until the mid thirties, but not all.

Quote Originally Posted by Jimmy the Jock View Post
    I thought he did ok .
    Not up to the Real Madrid standards demanded on here admittedly.

Particularly the second half he appeared to be getting forward to good affect , he is on the opposite side to me , maybe I had it wrong? I was very disappointed when he was taken off.
    Pardon my tardiness, I meant to agree with you here days ago and didn't get round to it. I take Tuerto's point in this thread but if Coxe had been that much of a liability then half time would've been when to take him off. Having kept him on he grew into the game, made a great defensive block and, as you say, started to make an impression going forward.

Whyte had tucked in a bit on our side, I think Murphy did on yours too, to free up the wide channel for the full back. This set up is absolutely made for Coxe, he'll run up and down the touchline all day. It made no sense to take him off (unless he was tiring, which he didn't seem to be), it was a system that suited him.

For me, Tomlin should've come on for Paterson and him, Whyte, Murphy and Glatzel given 20 minutes to unpick the defence while the full backs gave the width. Bacuna didn't add anything out wide, he'd have been better off staying in centre mid where Tomlin was ineffectual. We got counter attacked more after the substitutions and could easily have lost. Regardless of the mistakes Coxe had made in the first half, subbing him at that time seemed pointless.

Quote Originally Posted by Loramski View Post
    Pardon my tardiness, I meant to agree with you here days ago and didn't get round to it. I take Tuerto's point in this thread but if Coxe had been that much of a liability then half time would've been when to take him off. Having kept him on he grew into the game, made a great defensive block and, as you say, started to make an impression going forward.

Whyte had tucked in a bit on our side, I think Murphy did on yours too, to free up the wide channel for the full back. This set up is absolutely made for Coxe, he'll run up and down the touchline all day. It made no sense to take him off (unless he was tiring, which he didn't seem to be), it was a system that suited him.

For me, Tomlin should've come on for Paterson and him, Whyte, Murphy and Glatzel given 20 minutes to unpick the defence while the full backs gave the width. Bacuna didn't add anything out wide, he'd have been better off staying in centre mid where Tomlin was ineffectual. We got counter attacked more after the substitutions and could easily have lost. Regardless of the mistakes Coxe had made in the first half, subbing him at that time seemed pointless.
    Bacuna is shocking at full back, why both Warnock and now Harris persist with him there is beyond me

Thats exactly what I saw .
    Reading this board and the fact he was on the other side of the pitch , I thought I must have been at a different game.

I think some of our posters may have to look into their beliefs that Ronaldo and his ilk were always fantastic players
    They were probably always good players that grew into fantastic players. We need a bit of patience before we start selling them off or deciding they are not up the level.

Think how many wrote of Tomlin previously , look at him now , by the way Bob I thought he was brilliant when he came on .

I am going to stick my neck out and say Glatzel will be a good acquisition for Cardiff when we finally start to play football with a bit of CONFIDENCE .Contrary to popular belief we actually do have quite a few good players, what they lack at the moment is CONFIDENCE...
    Should they be foolhardy enough to read this board and take it seriously, I cant see it improving any footballers belief in themselves.

Reading this board and the fact he was on the other side of the pitch , I thought I must have been at a different game.

I think some of our posters may have to look into their beliefs that Ronaldo and his ilk were always fantastic players
    They were probably always good players that grew into fantastic players. We need a bit of patience before we start selling them off or deciding they are not up the level.

Think how many wrote of Tomlin previously , look at him now , by the way Bob I thought he was brilliant when he came on .

I am going to stick my neck out and say Glatzel will be a good acquisition for Cardiff when we finally start to play football with a bit of CONFIDENCE .Contrary to popular belief we actually do have quite a few good players, what they lack at the moment is CONFIDENCE...
    Should they be foolhardy enough to read this board and take it seriously, I cant see it improving any footballers belief in themselves.
    Didn't see the cup game but agree with second paragraph onwards

Heisenberg

Quote Originally Posted by City123 View Post
    Bacuna is shocking at full back, why both Warnock and now Harris persist with him there is beyond me
    I've seen Bacuna have two decent games for us. Watch how he lets the ball bounce several times before trying to get it under control - which mostly leads to an opposition player gaining possession instead.

Good post. I've no problem with Tomlin, just felt it wasn't the time to bring him on in centre mid. Maybe Harris felt that Carlisle had settled for a draw and Tomlin would be able to push forward from there without consequence but they were always looking to break and we'd have been better off leaving Vaulks and Bacuna to mind the fort while Tomlin had a free role further up the pitch (and leaving Coxe to carry on as he was up the right). Just my view, it's probably bollocks.

Good post. I've no problem with Tomlin, just felt it wasn't the time to bring him on in centre mid. Maybe Harris felt that Carlisle had settled for a draw and Tomlin would be able to push forward from there without consequence but they were always looking to break and we'd have been better off leaving Vaulks and Bacuna to mind the fort while Tomlin had a free role further up the pitch (and leaving Coxe to carry on as he was up the right). Just my view, it's probably bollocks.
    I think you're right. Carlisle looked the team more likely to score after we made those substitutions.

I think Glatzel will come good, he looks better with the ball in the floor but it's not quite clicking (could be confidence)
    As for coxe, he needs more if a chance. I'm hoping he starts sunsay, he posted the other day on Instagram looking forward to the Derby, local lad who would be up for it. Get him on the pitch.