+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: All Kick-Offs - One minute delayed. 'Take a minute'

All Kick-Offs - One minute delayed. 'Take a minute'

Just heard on BBC 5 Live that the reason is for us to 'take a minute' to think about mental health, whether its our own or someone else's.

Fab idea. When you're feeling depressed, talk about it!

We're quick enough to let everyone know when we've got flu or the shits!

There's no difference, lads!

Re: All Kick-Offs - One minute delayed. 'Take a minute'

Quote Originally Posted by B. Oddie View Post
    When you're feeling depressed, talk about it!

We're quick enough to let everyone know when we've got flu or the shits!

There's no difference, lads!
    I understand the sentiment and I know what you're saying is well-intentioned, but the truth is there are huge differences. For instance, if you've got flu or the shits, you know the problem will pass eventually, and in most cases sooner rather than later. You also know that everyone gets flu or the shits from time to time, so everyone will be able to appreciate how you're felling. Neither is true with mental health issues.

Talking about problems such as depression and anxiety is essential, but it's a whole lot easier said than done.

Quote Originally Posted by The Lone Gunman View Post
    I understand the sentiment and I know what you're saying is well-intentioned, but the truth is there are huge differences. For instance, if you've got flu or the shits, you know the problem will pass eventually, and in most cases sooner rather than later. You also know that everyone gets flu or the shits from time to time, so everyone will be able to appreciate how you're felling. Neither is true with mental health issues.

Talking about problems such as depression and anxiety is essential, but it's a whole lot easier said than done.
    Was there any need for such a snide response to what was otherwise a very good post. Give it a rest for 5 minutes.

Quote Originally Posted by Der Kaiser View Post
    Was there any need for such a snide response to what was otherwise a very good post. Give it a rest for 5 minutes.
    A snide response? Are you ****ing serious?

As somebody who has been diagnosed with and treated for depression and anxiety twice during the last seven years, I reckon I speak with some experience when I say that those illnesses are totally incomparable with the flu or the shits.

I acknowledged that Oddie's post was well-intentioned, but I firmly believe that comparing mental illness to minor ailments demonstrates a lack of understanding of the issue - something that I have been guilty of myself in the past. Unlike influenza or an upset stomach, I can assure you that mental problems are not straightforward by any means.

I have been hospitalised twice for mental health problems , the take a minute initiative is great but we are a million miles away from defeating the stigma associated with mental illness

It's a start though

Suicide hotlines CALM 0800 58 58 58 .........5pm till midnight every day

Samaritans 116123

CALL all wales 24 hour mental health helpline 0800 132 737

Quote Originally Posted by The Lone Gunman View Post
    A snide response? Are you ****ing serious?

As somebody who has been diagnosed with and treated for depression and anxiety twice during the last seven years, I reckon I speak with some experience when I say that those illnesses are totally incomparable with the flu or the shits.

I acknowledged that Oddie's post was well-intentioned, but I firmly believe that comparing mental illness to minor ailments demonstrates a lack of understanding of the issue - something that I have been guilty of myself in the past. Unlike influenza or an upset stomach, I can assure you that mental problems are not straightforward by any means.
    I think that the OP meant that suffering with Mental Health should be considered the same as any other illness in terms of how people perceive it. Having Flu or diarrhea is mainstream, it's easy to tell someone, there's not the same stigma that's attached to Mental Illness. We should all be able to say that we're struggling mentally in the same way that we can say that we have a bout of the shits! That's not the case though.

They're not incomparable. When you have proper flu, you can't see an end to it and cannot function. It is debilitating.

Depression is very much the same in that the ability to function or at least the ability to function is much more of a struggle.

To reinforce my point, I'd even compare feeling a bit down for a few days to having a cold and as stated, depression like the flu.

Everyone has a bout of mental illness at some stage, whether it be feeling down in the dumps for a period of time or having full blown depression.

They're not incomparable. When you have proper flu, you can't see an end to it and cannot function. It is debilitating.

Depression is very much the same in that the ability to function or at least the ability to function is much more of a struggle.

To reinforce my point, I'd even compare feeling a bit down for a few days to having a cold and as stated, depression like the flu.

Everyone has a bout of mental illness at some stage, whether it be feeling down in the dumps for a period of time or having full blown depression.
    I don't agree. The process of having Flu or a cold is bloody awful, but you know that it's gong to end and your body will tell you to rest, sleep etc. Mental Health illness is hidden in alot of cases, people forget about it, you have to carry on as normal in alot of cases.

Feeling bloody awful from flu flattens you for a week

Feeling bloody awful from mental illness leads to suicide or if they catch you in time a stay in a mental hospital

But the original poster was right to highlight today's initiative , well done mate

I couldn’t disagree more.

Quote Originally Posted by Der Kaiser View Post
    I don't think that was a snide remark at all. He made a valid point about how much easier people find it to talk about common ailments than it is to open up about depression.
    You walk about with your arm in a sling - you'll get lots of sympathy. Whereas, someone who is showing the signs of depression will often be told to 'snap out of it', or even worse..."Cheer up you miserable bugger!"

When I told my sister about ten years ago I was struggling with depression due to the stress of looking after my old man with alzheimer's she told me I should be locked away in a home , about seven years ago she got her wish

We don't speak

The take a minute initiative is great but we are a million miles away from defeating the stigma associated with mental illness
    1. Have you experienced ill mental health and, if yes, who did you speak to?
    2. Has someone spoken to you about ill mental health?
    3. Have you asked someone if they were feeling ok if you noticed their behaviour change in a worrying way?

I would answer yes to the first, speaking firstly to a GP in the moment and friends as I started to recover, yes to the second, both in a McDonalds and a separate person in a pub - again both were on their way up, but no to the third. That's something I should improve on.

We could all get better at talking about it and listening to others talk about it. It's really great that Sludge especially, as well as others, is there to share links to organisations who may be of some help.

Sorry mate but I think you're incredibly wide off the mark here. I've never suffered from anxiety or depression as myself but I've got close friends who have, one in particular where things got really dark. He did reach out to a handful of us and is getting better now but to compare it to having flu is just miles away from being accurate.

With flu unless you're old or infirm you know you've just got to ride it out, with depression there's no guarantee that you will, or that you even want to. Horrible illness

I think the OP means well but he’s way off the mark.

You know you’ll get over flu eventually. When you’ve got depression and/or anxiety you can’t see any light at the end of the tunnel.

Being physically debilitated and mentally debilitated are entirely different things.

It’s certainly a lot worse than being “down in the dumps” and until you experience it personally I don’t think you can truly understand. I know I didn’t.

Where the OP is correct is don’t be afraid to talk about it

Being a bit of a taboo subject in the past, it would be difficult to find out, but it would be interesting to know if more people in the UK suffer from depression and anxiety orders now than say 50 yrs ago, or even a 100 yrs ago.
    Maybe it’s because more and more folk are prepared to discuss it now (which is a great by the way), it seems to be gradually getting the attention it merits.
    Modern life is supposed to be getting easier for the majority of people, but this horrible illness seems to be on the rise.

Quote Originally Posted by William Treseder View Post
    Modern life is supposed to be getting easier for the majority of people
    Really? I think people are under more pressure, especially financially, than ever before. We're more in debt as a society because of house prices and low wages. Some people feel more of a need to "conform". Job security rarely exists. Wealth inequality is growing. People are being forced to work longer.

And don't get unwell

The average wait for a psychologist is 12 months

Imagine going to your doctor with a broken leg and being told we can help you but it's a 12 month wait

Mental health is the lowest priority in health care , always has been and always will

Stand in the street shaking a tin for cancer and watch the pennies roll in

Stand in the street and collect for mental health ? Well good luck with that one

Quote Originally Posted by SLUDGE FACTORY View Post
    And don't get unwell

The average wait for a psychologist is 12 months

Imagine going to your doctor with a broken leg and being told we can help you but it's a 12 month wait

Mental health is the lowest priority in health care , always has been and always will

Stand in the street shaking a tin for cancer and watch the pennies roll in

Stand in the street and collect for mental health ? Well good luck with that one
    I’m surprised Sludge, at your lack of understanding of this illness, seeing as you’ve suffered yourself.
    No amount of money in the world can help solve this problem.
    I posted above about whether life for the majority is getting easier. Only Eric replied though.
    That has nothing to do with the illness either.
    There is no cure or cause for depression, just as there is no cure or cause for any addiction.
    They can be arrested. They can be managed, but they can never be cured.
    More human contact, and understanding is what’s required.
    A poor man can suffer from depression, as can a rich man. A poor man can be a compulsive gambler, as can a rich man.
    A mental illness can only be treated by talking to like minded people and realising that many others suffer the same symptoms.
    It costs very little for a self help group to form, ie, Gamblers anonymous, Alcoholics Anonymous.
    Chronic depression can be more complicated, and in some cases, nothing can be done to stop a person taking their own life, as with other certain addicts, but talking, talking and more talking is the key.

I’m surprised Sludge, at your lack of understanding of this illness, seeing as you’ve suffered yourself.
    No amount of money in the world can help solve this problem.
    I posted above about whether life for the majority is getting easier. Only Eric replied though.
    There is no cure or cause for depression, just as there is no cure or cause for any addiction.
    They can be arrested. They can be managed, but they can never be cured.
    More human contact, and understanding is what’s required.
    A poor man can suffer from depression, as can a rich man. A poor man can be a compulsive gambler, as can a rich man.
    A mental illness can only be treated by talking to like minded people and realising that many others suffer the same symptoms.
    It costs very little for a self help group to form, ie, Gamblers anonymous, Alcoholics Anonymous.
    Chronic depression can be more complicated, and in some cases, nothing can be done to stop a person taking their own life, as with other certain addicts, but talking, talking and more talking is the key.
    In the context of mental health, I’d assume raising money is not necessarily about finding a cure but ensuring support can be offered to those requiring it?

As a side note I went to a wedding recently where nearly £1000 was raised for MIND when guests were offered the opportunity to make donations towards the hospitality they enjoyed.

It's estimated that almost half of people with depression also suffer with anxiety. Anxiety can cause depression.

Quote Originally Posted by Baloo View Post
    In the context of mental health, I’d assume raising money is not necessarily about finding a cure but ensuring support can be offered to those requiring it?

As a side note I went to a wedding recently where nearly £1000 was raised for MIND when guests were offered the opportunity to make donations towards the hospitality they enjoyed.
    I said above, there is no cure.

Quote Originally Posted by Eric the Half a Bee View Post
    It's estimated that almost half of people with depression also suffer with anxiety. Anxiety can cause depression.
    You’ve got me wrong Eric. I meant whether modern life is easier or not has nothing to do with the illness.

I said above, there is no cure.
    But there is lots that can be done, more than just self help groups, to make people feel better and regress their symptoms.

You’ve got me wrong Eric. I meant whether modern life is easier or not has nothing to do with the illness.
    I'll disagree. I have a fear that modern life will lead to a rise in the number of people suffering with anxiety and therefore a rise in the number of people suffering with depression. Anxiety can be triggered by any number of things