+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Retro Chelsea kit

First Team Forest Green Bluebird's Avatar

Retro Chelsea kit

Before becoming a City fan, I always liked / followed Chelsea ... days of Osgood, Webb, Harris, Hutchinson etc

The kit they wore today was very close to that worn back in the late 60s early 70s.

Would love to see city doing something similar for the next cup tie ... if we get through.

Maybe this one:s-l1600.jpg

Re: Retro Chelsea kit

Quote Originally Posted by Forest Green Bluebird View Post
    Before becoming a City fan, I always liked / followed Chelsea ... days of Osgood, Webb, Harris, Hutchinson etc

The kit they wore today was very close to that worn back in the late 60s early 70s.

Would love to see city doing something similar for the next cup tie ... if we get through.

Maybe this one:s-l1600.jpg
    Yeah, it really caught my eye and looked fantastic I thought.

Apparent it sold out straight away as well.

My loved one bought me a replica of my favourite ever Cardiff strip (1968 I think). It's been a great conversation starter and it looks the part.

I've also got the purple replica from the mid-70s. It's the one in TOBW's blogs. That's also drawn attention but I'm not that keen on the strip.

The mid-late 70s kit with the yellow and white stripe in the side for me.
    Iconic.

Quote Originally Posted by Toadstool View Post
    Iconic.
    Now there’s a novel idea. That kit tends to go under the radar when it comes to discussions concerning great city kits of yesteryear.

Quote Originally Posted by Toadstool View Post
    Iconic.
    I understand people's penchant for it but being long in the tooth I considered the inclusion of yellow rather alien........

Quote Originally Posted by Divine Wright View Post
    Now there’s a novel idea. That kit tends to go under the radar when it comes to discussions concerning great city kits of yesteryear.
    That kit ALWAYS seems to get a mention when discussing City kits of the past. But as TBG has mentioned, I don't really see the connection with City and yellow. I consider the kit displayed in Bobby Dandruff's avatar as being a classic - that 70's kit just seems dated to me. How long did we have that blue & yellow combination.. 2 seasons?

White shorts are more traditional for us. But these days you won't get a plain blue shirt, everything seems to have fancy patterns or shades on it. Although next season is 100th anniversary of us joining the Football League so you never know.

Quote Originally Posted by cardiff55 View Post
    White shorts are more traditional for us. But these days you won't get a plain blue shirt, everything seems to have fancy patterns or shades on it. Although next season is 100th anniversary of us joining the Football League so you never know.
    We'll just get a standard Adidas training top with the badge on

I'd like to go with a smaller company who might actually put effort in

Quote Originally Posted by City123 View Post
    We'll just get a standard Adidas training top with the badge on

I'd like to go with a smaller company who might actually put effort in
    Agreed. I'd like to see a local company making kit like they did in our grand-daddy's day.

Quote Originally Posted by Taunton Blue Genie View Post
    I understand people's penchant for it but being long in the tooth I considered the inclusion of yellow rather alien........
    Have to agree with that.

Quote Originally Posted by Rock_Flock_of_Five View Post
    That kit ALWAYS seems to get a mention when discussing City kits of the past. But as TBG has mentioned, I don't really see the connection with City and yellow. I consider the kit displayed in Bobby Dandruff's avatar as being a classic - that 70's kit just seems dated to me. How long did we have that blue & yellow combination.. 2 seasons?
    Yeah - it was my first ever kit aged 6 (I think!). Really heavy cotton!

Didn't the white and yellow stripe kit only last 2 seasons? I might be wrong. It was the Tony Evans/Adrian Alston era.

There were no names on the backs of those chelsea shirts. I wonder if they got fined for that? Looked great

This one is my fave. 1057.jpg

Quote Originally Posted by Optimistic Nick View Post
    There were no names on the backs of those chelsea shirts. I wonder if they got fined for that? Looked great
    Wouldn't it make more sense if players were given a two letter abbreviation of their name on the back of their shirts rather than a number, which is meaningless if you don't know who they are of if you don't have access to the line-up? If some players have the same initials as another player on the same team it's not beyond the wit of man to change one of the letters to something that is still meaningful.

Quote Originally Posted by Bobby Dandruff View Post

Didn't the white and yellow stripe kit only last 2 seasons? I might be wrong. It was the Tony Evans/Adrian Alston era.
    From memory it was brought in for our 75/76 season

Quote Originally Posted by Taunton Blue Genie View Post
    Wouldn't it make more sense if players were given a two letter abbreviation of their name on the back of their shirts rather than a number, which is meaningless if you don't know who they are of if you don't have access to the line-up? If some players have the same initials as another player on the same team it's not beyond the wit of man to change one of the letters to something that is still meaningful.
    Initials would also be meaningless if you didn't know who they are

Quote Originally Posted by NYCBlue View Post
    This one is my fave. 1057.jpg

Lovely

Quote Originally Posted by Wales-Bales View Post
    Initials would also be meaningless if you didn't know who they are

My boys didn't believe me when I told them what the letters were around the hoarding of grounds from years ago, that let you decipher the HT scores.

They thought that I was making it up

CardiffCitySince1927

My boys didn't believe me when I told them what the letters were around the hoarding of grounds from years ago, that let you decipher the HT scores.

They thought that I was making it up
    Can you expand?

Quote Originally Posted by CardiffCitySince1927 View Post
    Can you expand?
    Look in the programme.... the key would be there as in A. Arsenal v Liverpool.... B. Burnley v Nottingham Forest... C. Carlisle v Everton...... D. Coventry v Aston Villa etc etc. Around the pitch side wall would be the big letters and at half time the scores would be placed alongside them... A. 0-0....B. 1-2......C. 1-0 etc etc and that’s how we got the half time scores in another lifetime of mine.

Quote Originally Posted by splott parker View Post
    Look in the programme.... the key would be there as in A. Arsenal v Liverpool.... B. Burnley v Nottingham Forest... C. Carlisle v Everton...... D. Coventry v Aston Villa etc etc. Around the pitch side wall would be the big letters and at half time the scores would be placed alongside them... A. 0-0....B. 1-2......C. 1-0 etc etc and that’s how we got the half time scores in another lifetime of mine.
    That is right.

So a bit like deciphering Egyptian hieroglyphics and translating them into Esperanto.

Classic red with black shorts for me - all day long.

The yellow stripe kit went from 75-80 and was replaced by a kit with a nice shirt but way too Chelsea looking overall. Even down to the white socks.