+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Things You Miss From 'The Bad Old Days'

Things You Miss From 'The Bad Old Days'

Talking about the dungeon days, although when we were doing well in the league at 3rd and 4th division levels there were some fine days indeed with some very interesting characters, Royston Vasey Towns and plenty of surreal moments. There's loads i miss simply because it was convenient, like deciding on a Friday Evening with a couple of mates that we'd drive to whatever backwater we were likely to get beaten that saturday. Very strange locals, We're not afforded that luxury to much these days unless we visit Burnley. Being able to wind up opposition players as we were so close to the action in a small crowd, you could see it affecting them, and they'd give it back as well. Another Lower league phenomenon was that every club we seemed to play had a fat bloke who would lift his shirt up and expose his belly while walking menacingly towards the away fans (us) That should be made mandatory at every club! What do you miss?

Re: Things You Miss From 'The Bad Old Days'

Ninian Park atmospheres.

Quote Originally Posted by life on mars View Post
    Ninian Park atmospheres.
    The smell of piss at the back of the stand?

The hope

Terracing

Quote Originally Posted by jon1959 View Post
    Indeed , and old pie and chips smells , and the waft of split beer .

Transit Van trips.

Ninian Park atmospheres.
    CCS just doesn't do it and coupled with the crap setup and rubbish football right now and we're not missing much to warrant considering driving down.

In contrast I remember our promotion season from the old 4th division when I only missed 3 home games all season.

I go back to the late 60's and the football of the 70's was something else Tosh, Clark, Peter King, Les Lee, Alan Warboys, Derek Showers, Barry Jones...…...……….

Football has been ruined by the PL and silly money.

Quote Originally Posted by Taffy Blue in Berkshire View Post
    CCS just doesn't do it and coupled with the crap setup and rubbish football right now and we're not missing much to warrant considering driving down.

In contrast I remember our promotion season from the old 4th division when I only missed 3 home games all season.

I go back to the late 60's and the football of the 70's was something else Tosh, Clark, Peter King, Les Lee, Alan Warboys, Derek Showers, Barry Jones...…...……….

Football has been ruined by the PL and silly money.
    There were plenty of piss poor atmospheres at NP, for obvious reasons, but a crowd of 8-10 thousand could really make a noise and get things going at NP, especially on the Bob Bank. We couldn't get that at the new ground.

The ability to wake up on a Saturday morning and decide, fuk it 'm going down the City, rock up at the turn styles and just pay to get in.

Quote Originally Posted by Nelsonca61 View Post
    The ability to wake up on a Saturday morning and decide, fuk it 'm going down the City, rock up at the turn styles and just pay to get in.
    Yes. Paying cash on the turnstile. There was some serious fiddling going on!

Easy parking. Pick you seat. Expecting to be disappointed ( that's still the same). Cheap food and drink. Knowing the players were just making a living, not earning stupid money. The smell of beer and smoke. Players numbered 1-11.

Quote Originally Posted by Tuerto View Post
    Talking about the dungeon days, although when we were doing well in the league at 3rd and 4th division levels there were some fine days indeed with some very interesting characters, Royston Vasey Towns and plenty of surreal moments. There's loads i miss simply because it was convenient, like deciding on a Friday Evening with a couple of mates that we'd drive to whatever backwater we were likely to get beaten that saturday. Very strange locals, We're not afforded that luxury to much these days unless we visit Burnley. Being able to wind up opposition players as we were so close to the action in a small crowd, you could see it affecting them, and they'd give it back as well. Another Lower league phenomenon was that every club we seemed to play had a fat bloke who would lift his shirt up and expose his belly while walking menacingly towards the away fans (us) That should be made mandatory at every club! What do you miss?
    Just going spontaneously that day and wandering in to stand wherever I wanted

There were plenty of piss poor atmospheres at NP, for obvious reasons, but a crowd of 8-10 thousand could really make a noise and get things going at NP, especially on the Bob Bank. We couldn't get that at the new ground.
    Most fans sang and I wonder how many fans we had in say 1988 still go now

the late 80's - early 90's were great times, i guess for people my age, it all clicked, single and the right age to have fun and games at the football, when and where ever we wanted

Of course, we didnt really know it was great times, as the football at times was dire, then of course Eddie May came along and it just kept on getting better

Don't forget Wigan and our friends both down west and in the West Country

Terracing. Pay on the day. Unticketed away games. Football specials. Curries and beers all over the west Midlands. A hugely disproportionate away following.

Quote Originally Posted by NYCBlue View Post
    Terracing. Pay on the day. Unticketed away games. Football specials. Curries and beers all over the west Midlands. A hugely disproportionate away following.
    Oh, and weird beer. I remember going to a pub in Eccles once before a game against Oldham. Tried everything on tap except the Guinness and it was ****ing horrible. Had my first pint of Guinness that day. And my second. And my tenth. Good times.

Quote Originally Posted by jon1959 View Post
    Nah 2000 men spread across 4 stands.

the Grange End in its heyday, be like something out of a horror movie for this generation

Paying £3 a ticket and £40 for a season ticket as a kid.

Being able to start leaving the game early from the bob bank only to stand in the corner by the floodlight and watch the rest of it from there anyway.

Going to Chelsea on bus, with £10, paying for trip, ticket to get in, programme and food and still going home with change.
    Going to Ninian Park, pay at the turnstiles and stand where you wanted to. Buying a season ticket for £18.

I miss the lack of internet football forums.

Being part of a fan community is now a 24/7 thing.

Before, it was a few hours on a Saturday thing.

Familiarity breeds contempt ‘n’ all that.

Driving into some northern backwater 5 in a car or 12/13 in a battered mini bus (if it was a big game������) looking for the floodlight pylons and piling into the nearest pub to them. I miss floodlight pylons, ours were a Cardiff landmark.

First Team light up the darkness's Avatar

Indeed , and old pie and chips smells , and the waft of split beer .

The gentle breeze of African woodbines wafting from the grange end