+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Things You Miss From 'The Bad Old Days'

Re: Things You Miss From 'The Bad Old Days'

Crowd surges on the old terraces.
    I was in the away end of the Vetch one year and must have done about 3 miles up and down those steps.

Quote Originally Posted by Hilts View Post
    Been supporting City and if i listed best atmospheres it would be ones in the new stadium that would be at the top.

Of course the larger crowds help.

Bizarrely the best atmosphere v Swansea was an Autoglass cup game in the p!ssing down rain which we lost.

That gets blown away by the Chopra winner at the end at the CCS.

I think the look back at rosey tinted spectacles at NP is it was part of our youth.
    Leeds was a bit special, in the cup especially when Youngy scored, it felt like the ground moved!

Been supporting City and if i listed best atmospheres it would be ones in the new stadium that would be at the top.

Of course the larger crowds help.

Bizarrely the best atmosphere v Swansea was an Autoglass cup game in the p!ssing down rain which we lost.

That gets blown away by the Chopra winner at the end at the CCS.

I think the look back at rosey tinted spectacles at NP is it was part of our youth.
    How do you think the Leeds game (FA Cup) compares to the games you're talking about? That atmosphere was nuts, pissed up madness.

Quote Originally Posted by Tuerto View Post
    How do you think the Leeds game (FA Cup) compares to the games you're talking about? That atmosphere was nuts, pissed up madness.

I was a regular at NP from 1978 and without question the Leeds cup game tops everything else for atmosphere. I really thought I might have a heart attack towards the end - in fact I phoned my lad to say goodbye!!

That was the most hostile atmosphere ive been at by a distance. The crowd won the game. The Leeds players either shit themselves or lost the plot like Alan Smith and got sent off.

Lets face it that happens now the game probably gets abandoned and we are in all sorts of sh!t. Though the Leeds fans were throwing missiles as well.

We had loads of stick. We lost an important league game next at NP. The atmosphere was terrible , subdued due to the reaction about that match.

That was the most hostile atmosphere ive been at by a distance. The crowd won the game. The Leeds players either shit themselves or lost the plot like Alan Smith and got sent off.

Lets face it that happens now the game probably gets abandoned and we are in all sorts of sh!t. Though the Leeds fans were throwing missiles as well.

We had loads of stick. We lost an important league game next at NP. The atmosphere was terrible , subdued due to the reaction about that match.
    I remember Rio Ferdinand being interviewed about that game and he confessed he was actually scared when he ran out onto the pitch. Can you imagine today Vincent Tan walking around the pitch and having a gentle word in the opposition's goalkeeper's ear!

Quote Originally Posted by valleys caveman View Post
    Crowd surges on the old terraces.
    I was in the away end of the Vetch one year and must have done about 3 miles up and down those steps.
    Did you ever stand on the Kop at Anfield? That surge got old, very quickly. Annoying as ****.

Probably my best memory from those days is Wales v Scotland in 1985. It was the first and maybe only time I saw the mighty Bob Bank absolutely packed. I was where I nornally stood for City games about two thirs of the way from the Canton to the Grange end, and behind the ladder to the commenraty position. The crowd was supposed to be 39,500 but there must have been 30,000 on the Bob Bank alone. (At least 3,000 Scots in the corner) When Sparky scored. SCENES. Probably the most mental I ever went after a goal. And I'm very much a City first kind of fan.

Been in some tremendous goal celebrations both at Ninian Park & CCS but Leicester away in the play offs after Whittingham’s free kick really did make the ground shake, I swear that stand was moving akin to an earth tremor.

Strippers in the Le Mans on a Sunday lunchtime.

Quote Originally Posted by splott parker View Post
    Been in some tremendous goal celebrations both at Ninian Park & CCS but Leicester away in the play offs after Whittingham’s free kick really did make the ground shake, I swear that stand was moving akin to an earth tremor.
    I thought this was probably the best away celebration ever, only being topped after that goal in 1980 at Ninian Park
    I'm sure I was at the back of the Bob bank when Wayne Hughes touched the ball and by the fence pitchside at the end
    Happy days

The absence of pot bellied middle aged blokes wearing club shirts with players names on their backs, rattles and bobble hats.

Haven’t read through the whole thread, so not sure if anyone else has made this point, but to me, after reading your opening post, why have you called it “the bad old days”?

loved a pitch invasion..if the coppers didn't grab you..you were safe..
    colchester away on a Friday night..won 4-2..on the pitch every goal
    crewe away on a cold Tuesday night..pitch rock hard..

Quote Originally Posted by binman View Post

There are also quite a few blokes shouting utter gibberish down the City
    Sounds like a few of our previous managers.

Quote Originally Posted by William Treseder View Post
    Haven’t read through the whole thread, so not sure if anyone else has made this point, but to me, after reading your opening post, why have you called it “the bad old days”?
    I took it as a combination of us being shit and the whole experience being a bit naughtier

Quote Originally Posted by kendoddsdadsdogsdead View Post
    loved a pitch invasion..if the coppers didn't grab you..you were safe..
    colchester away on a Friday night..won 4-2..on the pitch every goal
    crewe away on a cold Tuesday night..pitch rock hard..
    Same season away to Northampton on a Friday night. Roger Gibbins come over asking the fans to calm down and stop invading the pitch. Luckily for him we didnt score any more.

Standing in the Bob Bank watching and waiting for the blocks of casuals in the Grandstand to give it some...

Quote Originally Posted by Moodybluebird View Post
    I can't believe you included Derek Showers in that list !! Replace his name with that of Ian Gibson and I'm with you all the way.
    Ok, memory not as good these days. Yep I've got picks of Ian Gibson scoring.

Quote Originally Posted by Nelsonca61 View Post
    The absence of pot bellied middle aged blokes wearing club shirts with players names on their backs, rattles and bobble hats.
    The absence of fat pot bellied middle aged blokes dressed as an 80s casual. 😂😂

The absence of fat pot bellied middle aged blokes dressed as an 80s casual. ����
    That is really sad to see. Blokes approaching 50 or older geared up for the football and getting it wrong.

Things You Miss From 'The Bad Old Days' ( Sex )

Quote Originally Posted by William Treseder View Post
    Because it's a phrase sometimes used by City fans who have the opinion that when we were really shit with poor attendances and we had to piss up against a wall next to the place where they sold food, as well as the regular tear ups, that everything was awful and things are so much better now that it's so much more civilised and serious. Some things are better, alot of things aren't in my opinion. I loved taking a piss to the smell of hotdogs are fried onions

I loved taking a piss to the smell of hotdogs are fried onions
    On the subject of smells..... smoking. I have never and will never smoke and I am all for the smoking ban, but the smell of mud and fags is just pure football.