+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Things You Miss From 'The Bad Old Days'

Re: Things You Miss From 'The Bad Old Days'

Quote Originally Posted by Tuerto View Post
    Yes. Paying cash on the turnstile. There was some serious fiddling going on!
    Or if you knew the guy on the turnstile, jumping over the turnstile.

Things that come to mind are:
    The "outdoor" gents at the back of the Bob Bank. Particularly when it was raining.
    The ability to turn up at 5 minutes to 3 and walk straight in.
    Making my way to the corner under the floodlights towards the end of the game to make a quick getaway to get to my car and beat the rush down Sloper Road.
    That perpetual "expect nothing and you won't be disappointed" feeling.
    The players had that hard-to-define "character", the willingness to have a go, or maybe that's just rose-tinted glasses on my part?

Quote Originally Posted by SydneyBlue View Post
    the Grange End in its heyday, be like something out of a horror movie for this generation
    I was going to post something similar. The noise that got generated by stamping on the wooden floors was amazing and as there were gaps in between the boards....I’m sure away fans used to have to walk under it to get to the bob bank where their section was in the corner (someone correct me if I’m wrong).

It was a huge expanse completely covered - my first abiding memory of it is the 5th round FA Cup game against Everton after we’d beaten Spurs and Wrexham... I went to those games with my Dad but went with my mates to the Everton game.... I think my love affair with the club truly started that day.

Quote Originally Posted by Nelsonca61 View Post
    The ability to wake up on a Saturday morning and decide, fuk it 'm going down the City, rock up at the turn styles and just pay to get in.
    I can remember a couple of matches in the late eighties that I had made up my mind not to go to, but then changed my mind at about 2.15 and was able to drive to the ground from Pentrebane, park in one of the factories/car showrooms across the road from Ninian Parkd and get into the ground just as the teams were taking the pitch.

There was also a match with Colchester in Ninian Park's last but one season where relatives I had visiting did not leave until 2.35 - I was able to drive to the ground, park and get in through the turnstiles and only missed the first ten minutes.

The family rail card, four 18 to 23 year olds somehow getting away with being a ‘family’ for a day
    Think it cost about £20 between us to get to London

Quote Originally Posted by the other bob wilson View Post
    I can remember a couple of matches in the late eighties that I had made up my mind not to go to, but then changed my mind at about 2.15 and was able to drive to the ground from Pentrebane, park in one of the factories/car showrooms across the road from Ninian Parkd and get into the ground just as the teams were taking the pitch.

There was also a match with Colchester in Ninian Park's last but one season where relatives I had visiting did not leave until 2.35 - I was able to drive to the ground, park and get in through the turnstiles and only missed the first ten minutes.
    My first game (thank you Divine Wright for the hell you dragged me into) we turned up at half time and they opened the gate and let us sneak in for free. Can't imagine that now

In the late 70s my old man knew the steward on the big sliding door between the family enclosure and Canton stand.
    It only took a knock and we were in.

There always seemed to be a railway sleeper or two propped against the back of the Bob-Bank wall. Thousands must have got in for free that way over the years.

I can remember thinking that if only a multi-millionaire would take over the club and spend a bit - we'd soon shoot up the leagues and play in front of 50,000.......

I also remember sitting in critics corner in the late 80s where about 15 of us spread across 4 rows in the Bob Bank including Big Lyndon, shouty man and the old fella and his daughter would sit and just slag off all of the useless buggers jogging about in front of us. Always able to sit in the same seat no matter what time I turned up - it felt like a community of sarcastic lonely people.

Quote Originally Posted by binman View Post
    I can remember thinking that if only a multi-millionaire would take over the club and spend a bit - we'd soon shoot up the leagues and play in front of 50,000.......

I also remember sitting in critics corner in the late 80s where about 15 of us spread across 4 rows in the Bob Bank including Big Lyndon, shouty man and the old fella and his daughter would sit and just slag off all of the useless buggers jogging about in front of us. Always able to sit in the same seat no matter what time I turned up - it felt like a community of sarcastic lonely people.

The breeze-block, roofless pissoir at the corner between the Bob Bank and the Canton Stand.
    On a cold day you could see the steam rising from it even if you were in the Grange End.

Going to games and not spending any than the entry price. Maybe a paper fanzine for 50p (another thing i miss). I'm sure there was a bar in the bob bank, but it never even occured to me that us need or want a drink or a burger in the 2 hours I was at the ground. Although there was a time when you could get a foot long hot dog which looked quite good.

Quote Originally Posted by Hilts View Post
    Transit Van trips.
    Quote Originally Posted by Taffy Blue in Berkshire View Post
    CCS just doesn't do it and coupled with the crap setup and rubbish football right now and we're not missing much to warrant considering driving down.

In contrast I remember our promotion season from the old 4th division when I only missed 3 home games all season.

I go back to the late 60's and the football of the 70's was something else Tosh, Clark, Peter King, Les Lee, Alan Warboys, Derek Showers, Barry Jones...…...……….

Football has been ruined by the PL and silly money.

I can't believe you included Derek Showers in that list !! Replace his name with that of Ian Gibson and I'm with you all the way.

Quote Originally Posted by goats View Post
    The family rail card, four 18 to 23 year olds somehow getting away with being a ‘family’ for a day
    Think it cost about £20 between us to get to London
    Persil tickets.

My earliest most coherent city memories are probably from the late 90s onwards so whilst it doesn't compare to what some of you will remember, the atmosphere at some matches was just different.

I think the ccs is capable but there used to be something very different about ninian Park.

Even the undercurrent of potential violence, its not something I'd want to see return and as a kid at the time wasn't something I obviously engaged in, but nonetheless was a part of the city match day experience.

It's not a bad atmosphere at times, and ninian Park certainly wasn't always bouncing but I guess it just feels mostly sterile and comfortable these days. That's not a bad thing at times and as a father myself now when I come to take my son down there I'm sure it will be welcome but it's just different.

followed City since 1962. Some great NP memories but best atmosphere has to be play off v Leicester at CCS. Also Man City 3-2 and Palace league cup semi.

It's a real shame we haven't been good enough in our 2 recent visits to the PL because there was always a good buzz about the place..

Quote Originally Posted by Taunton Blue Genie View Post
    The breeze-block, roofless pissoir at the corner between the Bob Bank and the Canton Stand.
    On a cold day you could see the steam rising from it even if you were in the Grange End.
    Think it's the thing I remember most from NP. Those dirty stinking open air cesspits. Couldn't call them toilets. Got soaking wet many a time.

Quote Originally Posted by jeremy corbyn View Post
    Think it's the thing I remember most from NP. Those dirty stinking open air cesspits. Couldn't call them toilets. Got soaking wet many a time.
    You're doing it wrong then

Moving along the bob bank at half time to be near the end we were attacking

Quote Originally Posted by binman View Post

Is shouty man large and ginger?

No - He's tall and grey

He still sits a few rows in front of me shouting gibberish

Bear in mind this was late 80s!!

There are also quite a few blokes shouting utter gibberish down the City

Going with my grandfather...

Quote Originally Posted by Optimistic Nick View Post
    Going to games and not spending any than the entry price. Maybe a paper fanzine for 50p (another thing i miss). I'm sure there was a bar in the bob bank, but it never even occured to me that us need or want a drink or a burger in the 2 hours I was at the ground. Although there was a time when you could get a foot long hot dog which looked quite good.
    I miss the fanzines, i remember when they first hit the scene, 'Intifada' (great name) 'Oh Bluebird Of Happiness' and 'Watch The Bluebirds fly' For me, they were revolutionary from a football fans perspective. Although they were of their time, some of the writing was really good, funny and macabre at the same time, Anti Club and Anti establishment at a time when things weren't that great for young working class men under the Tories. Didn't one of the publications have a 'what to do' list if you ever got nicked at the football? In fairness, there was always a real chance of that if you went away in those days, Trouble would flair up and it was sometimes difficult to stay away from it.

Agree about not spending any cash on food, drink etc, didn't even consider it. People could actually go a couple of hours without having to eat something back then

I used to like seeing a little flair up in the away/home end if away, and and watching the twenty or so get marched around the pitch and allowed to go into the Cardiff end!

Been supporting City and if i listed best atmospheres it would be ones in the new stadium that would be at the top.

Of course the larger crowds help.

Bizarrely the best atmosphere v Swansea was an Autoglass cup game in the p!ssing down rain which we lost.

That gets blown away by the Chopra winner at the end at the CCS.

I think the look back at rosey tinted spectacles at NP is it was part of our youth.