+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results

Thread: M4 Speed Cameras

M4 Speed Cameras

Just came off M4 @ Jct 26 ( Malpas ) Eastbound and noticed that the overhead gantry on the Westbound lanes was flashing nearly every other car as the signs were set to 50mph.

I didn't realise that the cameras were actually Live here.

Re: M4 Speed Cameras

Ever been in the situation where the speed limit suddenly changes just as you pass under the gantry? I was in that situation a few months back, happily bowling along at about 65-70 (I use the cruise control so I never exceed 70) when the sign suddenly changed to 50 just as I went under it, so virtually no time to brake before going over the white markings on the road. I never heard anything so I assume there must be a time delay built into the system to allow for this?

Quote Originally Posted by Gofer Blue View Post
    Ever been in the situation where the speed limit suddenly changes just as you pass under the gantry? I was in that situation a few months back, happily bowling along at about 65-70 (I use the cruise control so I never exceed 70) when the sign suddenly changed to 50 just as I went under it, so virtually no time to brake before going over the white markings on the road. I never heard anything so I assume there must be a time delay built into the system to allow for this?
    There is a time delay. Would be pretty harsh otherwise!

Quote Originally Posted by dembethewarrior View Post
    There is a time delay. Would be pretty harsh otherwise!
    Ah, I thought there must be. I agree but you never know these days when most speed cameras are basically cash-cows for local authorities and have little to do with road safety!

Ah, I thought there must be. I agree but you never know these days when most speed cameras are basically cash-cows for local authorities and have little to do with road safety!
    I get you, but it probably wouldn’t be worth the accidents it would cause over the money it raised, people would be slamming the breaks on left and right!

They probably could use a better system though because you notice quite a few people panic as it changes right in front of them!

You have to be very careful there. I was caught Westbound about 2 years ago, and went on a motorway awareness course, which was more expensive then paying the fine! As you get on the M4 Westbound just after the tunnels, the gantry there has them, and one of the ones coming down the hill east of the tunnel. Eastbound I think there is one just before the tunnels and one just after. You have to be very careful with those variable speed limit signs, one lapse of concentration and you get a ticket.

Quote Originally Posted by Toadstool View Post
    Just came off M4 @ Jct 26 ( Malpas ) Eastbound and noticed that the overhead gantry on the Westbound lanes was flashing nearly every other car as the signs were set to 50mph.

I didn't realise that the cameras were actually Live here.
    Did you not notice all the warning signs and actual cameras on the gantries ? It is common knowledge that overhead cameras can track a vehicle all the way from the Severn Bridge to the other side of Swansea in both directions. It amazes me the number of vehicles that speed along these parts of the motorway. The cameras are live all the time.

Quote Originally Posted by dml1954 View Post
    Did you not notice all the warning signs and actual cameras on the gantries ? It is common knowledge that overhead cameras can track a vehicle all the way from the Severn Bridge to the other side of Swansea in both directions. It amazes me the number of vehicles that speed along these parts of the motorway. The cameras are live all the time.
    Yes, I saw the signs - they have been there for about 30 years in some format - I wasn't aware that there were actual speed cameras on the gantry.

If the variable speed cameras were always live they’d have taken out about 50% of all road users by now as quite a few “play the game”.
    I just follow the limit as I don’t know what cameras are what, but PLENTY of people are without a single fine or point because they know there are only certain ones that are in fact live.

Stop talking out of your arse. It’s bad enough listening to you and your self righteous preaching when it comes to Warnock and cardiff city you boring multi ****.

That isn’t right.

The ‘smart’ section of the M4 begins at Malpas/Celtic Manor and ends just as you get to Cardiff. There are signs warning you, but they can be missed. 😮

On this section of the M4, the speed of the traffic is automatically controlled by sensors in the road that measure the volume of traffic and then adjust the speed limit accordingly, which is then reflected in the variable speed limits displayed on the overhead gantries. So you have to be on your toes as the speed limit changes depending on when you are using the road and the volume of traffic. It is therefore easy to get caught out going into the smart section from a normal 70mph section of motorway into another section of motorway where the speed limit is entirely different.

The point made about measuring average speed is wrong as that would be clearly marked, as is the case with roadworks, with loads of signs and big yellow cameras at the beginning and end of the section of road. The cameras look entirely different and operate in a completely different way.

Sorry to be such a bore on the subject but this may help people avoid getting caught!

That happened to me on the way back from that defeat at Derby and I got done, making it an even more miserable trip 🙈

Average speed cameras along the whole motorway would sort it! Very unpopular with some I can imagine but the ultimate cash-cow surely.

Quote Originally Posted by cardiff55 View Post
    You have to be very careful there. I was caught Westbound about 2 years ago, and went on a motorway awareness course, which was more expensive then paying the fine! As you get on the M4 Westbound just after the tunnels, the gantry there has them, and one of the ones coming down the hill east of the tunnel. Eastbound I think there is one just before the tunnels and one just after. You have to be very careful with those variable speed limit signs, one lapse of concentration and you get a ticket.
    Yes check your mirror as you pass all the gantry's and you will see one before and one after either direction, so most are fine but there are two live either side of the tunnel!

Average speed cameras along the whole motorway would sort it! Very unpopular with some I can imagine but the ultimate cash-cow surely.
    They work the best no one can cheat those, although I have noticed that when I set my cruise control to say 50, some drivers that seem to be in the know pass me at about 52-55MPH, so there must be some sort of tolerance built in that people are becoming aware of?

It happened to me today on the A470 I was going 50 and passed by quite a few cars?

Quote Originally Posted by Bluebina View Post
    They work the best no one can cheat those, although I have noticed that when I set my cruise control to say 50, some drivers that seem to be in the know pass me at about 52-55MPH, so there must be some sort of tolerance built in that people are becoming aware of?

It happened to me today on the A470 I was going 50 and passed by quite a few cars?
    I think you are allowed 10% over the speed limit. That might have changed though.

Quote Originally Posted by Bluebina View Post

That happens to me all the time. Some people cannot tolerate other drivers who stick precisely to the speed limit and must have some in-built urge to overtake at a relative velocity of about 1 mph. There may be also some allowance in the car's speedometer. I notice that although I set my cruise control to say 50, my sat nav shows that I am really doing about 48 mph. The gap gets wider at 70 - something more like 3 mph e.g. 67. I notice the same effect when approaching one of those radar-operated "your speed" signs in 30 mph zones - I am usually clocked at 28.

That happens to me all the time. Some people cannot tolerate other drivers who stick precisely to the speed limit and must have some in-built urge to overtake at a relative velocity of about 1 mph. There may be also some allowance in the car's speedometer. I notice that although I set my cruise control to say 50, my sat nav shows that I am really doing about 48 mph. The gap gets wider at 70 - something more like 3 mph e.g. 67. I notice the same effect when approaching one of those radar-operated "your speed" signs in 30 mph zones - I am usually clocked at 28.
    Sat Nav uses GPS where the Speedo does wheel turns or something like that and wear in tyres effects its accuracy. The Sat Nav is likely to be more accurate but I wouldn't risk it.

I always do 50 mph in these zones as its seem right and environment around these towns probably benefits, majority of cars just boom past me without a care ,they probably let their kids take Friday off then to protest about the planet .

Quote Originally Posted by Hilts View Post
    Sat Nav uses GPS where the Speedo does wheel turns or something like that and wear in tyres effects its accuracy. The Sat Nav is likely to be more accurate but I wouldn't risk it.
    Oh I don't risk it - speedometer every time! At least it will be my fault if I go over the limit knowing that my speedo reads low.

https://www.thecarexpert.co.uk/how-a...r-speedometer/

If every junction was monitored with average speed cameras it would be so much easier to drive. It’s the constant weaving in and out of drivers and braking that causes traffic jams.

Adaptive speed control will soon be on all new cars also. This will help the flow of traffic no end.

Quote Originally Posted by MacAdder View Post
    I think you are allowed 10% over the speed limit. That might have changed though.
    ACPO guidelines followed by by most, if not all police forces allow a discretion of 10%+2 over the limit. So at
    30mph you'll be booked at35mph
    40 46mph
    50 57mph

And so on.

Factor in a speedo overstate by 1/2mph I reckon you would need to be showing 36/37 on your speedo before you get done.
    Not that I would chance it officer! 😀

Has anyone noticed the big Audi /Range Rovers , BMW's with distinct very dirty number plates,compared to the rest of their car ?

Quote Originally Posted by jeremy corbyn View Post
    ACPO guidelines followed by by most, if not all police forces allow a discretion of 10%+2 over the limit. So at
    30mph you'll be booked at35mph
    40 46mph
    50 57mph

And so on.

Factor in a speedo overstate by 1/2mph I reckon you would need to be showing 36/37 on your speedo before you get done.
    Not that I would chance it officer! ��
    Ok Cheers that would probably explain it, I just thought they would have used that for the cars on bridges, but be a bit less generous on the average speed camer's as they can say they are accurate?

More cameras on the roads the better, speed kills. I have been done for speeding previously.

International

Quote Originally Posted by jeremy corbyn View Post
    ACPO guidelines followed by by most, if not all police forces allow a discretion of 10% + 2 MPH over the limit. So at
    30 mph you'll be booked at 35 mph
    40 46mph
    50 57mph

And so on.

Not that I would chance it officer! ��
    Most vehicle speedometers have a built in 2 MPH speed error so the people passing you at apparently 52 MPH are almost certainly doing 50 or there abouts. The 10% + 2 mph is correct, but is a government guideline and not all forces stick to it, although each force should publish what its tolerances are.

If you work this out, 70 MPH +10% + 2 MPH means you shouldn't get ticketed on a M'Way unless you are actually doing 80 MPH and if you stopped to ask (not recommended) when you see drivers stopped by unmarked police cars it is more likely to be for lack of insurance than speeding - - -which is a good thing. People who drive without insurance should have their car crushed!!!!