+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results

Thread: Ciaron Brown

Ciaron Brown

Words fail me sometimes....we see teams like Liverpool and others giving 16/17/18 year olds opportunities in the first team.....yet we seemingly let such a promising youngster as Ciaron Brown go back out on loan......can he do much worse than what we persist with???

If they are good enough they are old enough....think Toshack....Ramsey....Dilwyn John....and others going back as far as George Johnson (now who remembers him...?) and Steve Gammon in my memory....

Re: Ciaron Brown

Youngster? Hes 22 next week.

Perhaps Harris feels he isnt good enough.

Hes out of contract in June.

Heisenberg

Quote Originally Posted by Maurice Swan View Post
    Words fail me sometimes....we see teams like Liverpool and others giving 16/17/18 year olds opportunities in the first team.....yet we seemingly let such a promising youngster as Ciaron Brown go back out on loan......can he do much worse than what we persist with???

If they are good enough they are old enough....think Toshack....Ramsey....Dilwyn John....and others going back as far as George Johnson (now who remembers him...?) and Steve Gammon in my memory....
    Maybe he's not good enough.

Is Ciaron Brown good enough at the moment?

Im all for having a pop at the club and previous managers for not creating a culture where there is a pathway for our youth to get into the first team but hes 22, out of contract in six months and not got into the first team.

Harris has got to start streamlining a squad which is big on quantity, small on quality.

Sorry, dont know what your gripe is here.

ok...didn't realise he was 22 already......he has had good reports.....but then surely the club should have realised a long time ago that he was not likely to make it. I have to admit...if you are 20+ and not knocking on the door of the first team then they have to be moved on.

ok...didn't realise he was 22 already......he has had good reports.....but then surely the club should have realised a long time ago that he was not likely to make it. I have to admit...if you are 20+ and not knocking on the door of the first team then they have to be moved on.
    The fact hes had to take a trial with Livingstone says a lot for me. If he was any good and City made him available for transfer surely there would be something better lined up for him.

That said, sometimes players take a step back to move forward, so best of luck to him.

Quote Originally Posted by J R Hartley View Post
    The fact hes had to take a trial with Livingstone sets alarm bells ringing. If he was any good and City made him available surely there would be better takers.
    yes...I agree!!!

Send him on loan to a level where he can progress. Learn nothing playing u23 football.

I think we only signed him eighteen months to two years ago from Wealdstone. We played a friendly against them as part of the deal.

I don't think we've seen enough of him to know whether he's good enough or not. He appeared just 6 times for Livingston January until end of the season last time he was loaned there and Harris sounds more willing to play younger players and has sent him back on loan, however we also know that he's now represented NI at senior level and they have been much improved in past 5-10 years. That's all the majority of us have to go on.

Not every "young" player will be good enough and, as long as Harris backs his pro-youth words with action, I reckon we can trust future assessment moreso than when every younger player under Warnock wasn't good enough. However, our development structure seeing another player not make it at the club isn't a great feeling.

Take a look on YouTube - Southport v Cardiff FA Cup. Players include George Johnson.

Quote Originally Posted by Louth View Post
    Take a look on YouTube - Southport v Cardiff FA Cup. Players include George Johnson.
    I remember Georgie Johnson well, we sold him to Arsenal for £20,000 if I recall, I also recall that he was Georgie Johnston then

football fans in a nutshell

THIS CLUB'S USELESS, GIVE HIM A CHANCE HE'S YOUNG

He's 22. Twenty two.

THIS CLUB'S USELESS, THEY SHOULD HAVE GOT RID OF HIM AGES AGO

We're 13 points from safety. He could be getting a few games here by March. I'd imagine he's on his way out for good.

Back on loan to Livingston till January.

https://www.sportsmole.co.uk/footbal...an_407439.html

He’s 22 now, so surely he’s not going to be considered for the first team, going forward?

Quote Originally Posted by NYCBlue View Post
    We're 13 points from safety. He could be getting a few games here by March. I'd imagine he's on his way out for good.
    22 points from safety today

Quote Originally Posted by Louth View Post
    City fans causing bother again ! Southport looked a good Div. 4 side yet were out of the league a decade later..

Quote Originally Posted by The Hooded Claw View Post
    He’s 22 now, so surely he’s not going to be considered for the first team, going forward?
    We thought that about Semi Ajayi but were soon disabused of that notion, as David Mitchell would say. It is an odd move though, I suppose it's encouraging that Harris is confident there won't be a fire sale here if we don't go up. The Scottish season starts in a couple of weeks, Brown can get plenty of games under his belt by January and Harris can assess the situation then.

I thougt with obvious cut backs needed we may have him in and around the squad while trying to offload Bamba and Flint

Quote Originally Posted by 2b2bdoo View Post
    I thougt with obvious cut backs needed we may have him in and around the squad while trying to offload Bamba and Flint
    I think Bamba is being lined up for a coaching role here and Harris probably feels he's still good enough as cover for now but I take the point about Flint. Even so, it's unlikely Brown would play much here so it's better for him to get regular games at Livingston and see how things develop.

Quote Originally Posted by Loramski View Post
    I think Bamba is being lined up for a coaching role here and Harris probably feels he's still good enough as cover for now but I take the point about Flint. Even so, it's unlikely Brown would play much here so it's better for him to get regular games at Livingston and see how things develop.
    I’d thought the same about keeping him in place of Flint and Bamba as a coach, but I do wonder about the long term prospects for a 22 year old who’s mostly played in Scotland.
    Last edited by The Hooded Claw; 22-07-20 at 13:07. Reason: Typo

Quote Originally Posted by The Hooded Claw View Post
    I’d thought the same about keeping him in place of Flint and Bamba as a coach, but I do wonder about the long term prospects for a 22 year old who’s mostly played in Scotland.
    I largely agree with that but Ajayi was 23 when we released him and a year after that Rotherham dropped him and then played him in central midfield in League One because they couldn't trust him at centre half. He could be moving up to the Premier League in a few hours so I'm not going to bother predicting where Ciaran Brown's future lies.

Maybe it doesn't look great at this stage but Harris has always spoken positively about him and it could well be that he sees him having a future here, especially when Bamba finishes playing. Brown enjoys it at Livingston and was happy to return there, even though English league clubs were apparently interested. He'll be racking up the games there, gaining experience, and I'm sure his progress will be monitored closely. As long as the club can trust the feedback they're getting they should be in a better position to judge him after an active loan spell rather than a League Cup tie and a few under-23 games here.

Quote Originally Posted by J R Hartley View Post
    Youngster? Hes 22 next week.
    He's almost old enough to win young player of the year.