Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Vinyl

Re: Vinyl

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Audio-Techn.../dp/B00RYVUZEE

Add pioneer amp, ,wharfedale speakers ,away you go

Quote Originally Posted by valleys caveman View Post
    Thanks lads

What sort of £'s are we talking about for a tidy deck?
    Get a vintage classic like a Duel or Miracord. Should set you back about 150 quid. I've been collecting Elac Miracords for a few years now. I've finally got two in perfect working order with original headshells. Got various bits, non-working decks, headshells and a really nice spare dustcover all over the basement. They're not high-end, but they're quality and they last forever.

Quote Originally Posted by NYCBlue View Post
    Get a vintage classic like a Duel or Miracord. Should set you back about 150 quid. I've been collecting Elac Miracords for a few years now. I've finally got two in perfect working order with original headshells. Got various bits, non-working decks, headshells and a really nice spare dustcover all over the basement. They're not high-end, but they're quality and they last forever.
    They last forever but it's taken you ages to get two in working order?

Quote Originally Posted by Eric the Half a Bee View Post
    They last forever but it's taken you ages to get two in working order?
    OK, they last a really long time if they're treated properly. Happy?

The ones I use are over 50 years old.

Quote Originally Posted by cardiff55 View Post
    The 1960s singles in mono sound fantastic on a good deck. A really powerful sound.
    Yes, indeed they do! I collect 60s Northern Soul and R&B (that's 60s R&B, not the modern chavvy stuff) and they all sound far better on vinyl. I do however buy CDs as there are are some 7" that I would love to own but cost literally thousands of pounds. Everything that has been pressed onto CD however, that I own, sounds far much better on vinyl, even with crackles and hiss

Just been comparing prices for vinyl and CD's on the HMV website.
    Vinyl seems to be at least double the price.
    Also, not all albums are out on vinyl. I checked the number one album in the charts, Stormzy - Heavy Is The Head (not a fan by the way) and it isn't available on vinyl.

Also, not all albums are out on vinyl. I checked the number one album in the charts, Stormzy - Heavy Is The Head (not a fan by the way) and it isn't available on vinyl.
    When CDs overtook vinyl in the 90s, CDs were the more expensive.

Quote Originally Posted by Eric the Half a Bee View Post
    When CDs overtook vinyl in the 90s, CDs were the more expensive.
    Were they more than double the price?

Were they more than double the price?
    Not quite. In around 1993, i remember 7" and cassette singles were something like £2.29 in Woolies, CD singles were £3.49. I remember buying Now 26 on cd for £17.99 while the vinyl or cassette was around £11 or £12.

I can remember the first CD I ever bought. There’s No Other Way by Blur. At a little shop across from the Corporation in Canton.

Your right its become a pricy commodity with new artists , however there is a lot of fun looking for older sfuff , that is second hand , via sites such as discogs.

What records is also a great site .

Hunting around charity shops for bargains , attending record fairs, wading through the vinyl in Kellys Records in the market is all part of the fun and has its iwn own community.

I suppose its for the music enthusiast's who collect and listen to music as broad and as far back as Cole Porter to the latest indie band , rather than just wanting the latest new thing like Stormzy or Adele.

You go to gigs now they have vinyl on offer , its great its back.

For me it was a tradegy CD was allowed to devalue its existence .

A vinyl record is an analog recording and in my humble view has a purer sound where as a CDs is a digital recording which cant capture the complete sound wave.

I had Lola by the Kinks it always it would stick near the end,i still listen for it now when i hear it.Do not get it with cds.

Vinyl is just so tangible, and even CD’s are in a way that digital music just isn’t. I love putting an album on picking up the cover and inner sleeve and sit their reading the lyrics. I’d become a victim of the digital age and I just wasn’t listening to whole albums anymore... my playlists were always compilations and would contain a few tracks from each artist.

I reinvested in turntable, amp, CD player and speakers last year - and haven’t looked back. I had a combined collection of about 2000 vinyl and CD and I’ve rediscovered some great stuff I’d forgotten I even had. Vinyl looks and sounds better but I also love putting a CD on and listening to the album all the way through uninterrupted..... with vinyl albums I nearly always had a favourite side that got played much more

Quote Originally Posted by StraightOuttaCanton View Post
    Vinyl is just so tangible, and even CD’s are in a way that digital music just isn’t. I love putting an album on picking up the cover and inner sleeve and sit their reading the lyrics. I’d become a victim of the digital age and I just wasn’t listening to whole albums anymore... my playlists were always compilations and would contain a few tracks from each artist.

I reinvested in turntable, amp, CD player and speakers last year - and haven’t looked back. I had a combined collection of about 2000 vinyl and CD and I’ve rediscovered some great stuff I’d forgotten I even had. Vinyl looks and sounds better but I also love putting a CD on and listening to the album all the way through uninterrupted..... with vinyl albums I nearly always had a favourite side that got played much more
    Yes, with vinyl, once it's on, it's more of a pain in the butt to change it. With endless audio files on a computer, it's nothing to click on another track if you're bored with the one that's playing. I find sometimes that, despite tens of thousands of tracks on offer, I can't think of something I want to play.

I have some of the great classic vinyl covers in plastic on my wall as an art form .