+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results

Thread: Would we lost today if Etheridge was playing?

Would we lost today if Etheridge was playing?

I’ve got a sneaky suspicion we would have.

Re: Would we lost today if Etheridge was playing?

I don't think so, Smithies didn't have alot to deal with although we did play it back to him quite a few times, Etheridge does struggle to clear the halfway line, so his inclusion may have added some pressure.

I wouldn’t say we’d have lost but I got the impression that our defenders felt a lot more comfortable with Smithies behind them today. The ball certainly didn’t come back to terrorise our defence after his clearances whereas it’s action stations many a time after Etheridge’s. I’m firmly in the Smithies camp.

Quote Originally Posted by splott parker View Post
    I wouldn’t say we’d have lost but I got the impression that our defenders felt a lot more comfortable with Smithies behind them today. The ball certainly didn’t come back to terrorise our defence after his clearances whereas it’s action stations many a time after Etheridge’s. I’m firmly in the Smithies camp.
    Moi aussi !

Quote Originally Posted by Banc Blue View Post
    I’ve got a sneaky suspicion we would have.
    Neither keeper actually has much to do despite there being lots of chances in the first half.

Smithies didn’t have much to do so I can’t say that we’d have lost if Etheridge has played.

I'm not sure as Swansea didn't really test our keeper.

All I noticed our defender's felt more comfortable passing backwards to him and his distribution was more precise and positive.

Their keeper looked small and nervous. We should have done more to test him. Oh for a Peter Whittingham who could put corners right on top of the keeper.

distributed well with both feet I thought.

Quote Originally Posted by GL1Blue View Post
    distributed well with both feet I thought.
    Disagree with this but I like Smithies and I don't think the result would have been any different if Etheridge had been playing