+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results

Thread: We need a positive Cardiff way

We need a positive Cardiff way

I, like many others, went to the CCS stadium today, more in hope than expectation.
    Not only that, having gone to the Liberty for the 1st derby this season, I did not have the same level of anticipation and excitement as games v the Jacks in years gone by. That day, we were shown up by our neighbours in almost every respect. On the field, it was clear, that they clearly wanted the game more than we did. And off the field we were outsung by the JB's. It didn't help that it was a shocking performance, it could easily have been 3 or 4 nil.

Today we showed more commitment and, at times played better football. But let's face it we probably played as well as the current squad and management are capable of, and we still did not score a goal.

Swansea play better football and have a much more successful youth and development system than us. That's why they are able to attract some of the best Premier League talent from top clubs ( Brewster started and Guehi was on the bench ) whilst on the same day it was confirmed that we had made a bid for Kiefer Moore. This is a typical Cardiff signing. If we do get him for between 2 and 3 milllion, you can bet your house that it will be the most he will ever be transferred for and in 2 years we will let him go on a free. It's also evidence that, at heart, Harris is a long ball man.

I recently posted that Harris should go and we needed to get Bellamy in. I was slammed. But my post was not a knee jerk reaction to the embarrasment of the QPR defeat. It was about the need to build a new Cardiff way with people who have Cardiff in the hearts and who believe in youth development. Swansea's MOM today was Cabango. He is a Cardiff lad. Along with Rodon and Roberts he is likely to be a mainstay of the Wales side in the coming years. Yet we have nothing in the near pipeline and we have not produced a senior Wales regular for a long time.

I would honestly prefer to spend 3 or 4 years in the Championship building the club with local talent and an attractive playing style, than go hell bent on promotion with journeyman players with no link to our club. Not that the current mob will get us anywhere near the Prem.

Re: We need a positive Cardiff way

Quote Originally Posted by Garth Blue View Post
    whilst on the same day it was confirmed that we had made a bid for Kiefer Moore. This is a typical Cardiff signing. If we do get him for between 2 and 3 milllion, you can bet your house that it will be the most he will ever be transferred for and in 2 years we will let him go on a free. It's also evidence that, at heart, Harris is a long ball man.
    Out of interest, do you regard Ryan Giggs as a long ball man because he plays Kiefer Moore?

Try and build a side on local talent and we wont be in the Championship very long.

Youth development needs to improve though.

Quote Originally Posted by Hilts View Post
    Try and build a side on local talent and we wont be in the Championship very long.

Youth development needs to improve though.
    One or two would be nice

No. but Moore in the Wales team surrounded by quality players is so much different to Moore in the current Cardiff team. You just know it will be Warnock ball mark 2

Quote Originally Posted by Garth Blue View Post
    No. but Moore in the Wales team surrounded by quality players is so much different to Moore in the current Cardiff team. You just know it will be Warnock ball mark 2
    I tend to agree. However, I do feel that under Harris (and the team are on it), we do support our striker a bit better.

Giggs uses Moore as a battering ram. Hartson was used in exactly the same way. No problem with that, as long as you mix things up, have variety in attack and get players forward quickly in support.

I think Paterson would be a good shout if we're going for the flick on route. He wins so much in the air, his timing is very good. I struggle to see how he fits in otherwise.