+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results

Thread: After 27 games in the Championship - a comparison

After 27 games in the Championship - a comparison

This is one for the more statistically minded or insomniac.

We've played 27 league games this season. I thought I'd have a look and compare this season with the first 27 games of all Championship seasons played since promotion in 2003. These are our points tallies at this point in each 2nd tier season since 2003:

pointsafter27.jpg

Of 15 seasons in this division, this ranks 11th in terms of results after 27 games. Scoring goals hasn't been so much of a problem; this season ranks 7th in terms of goals scored (38), bettered only by our last promotion season (40), Malky's two seasons (44 and 48), Jones' last two seasons (52,45) and our first season back at this level under Lennie (45).

Conceding goals has been a bigger issue. The 40 we've let in this season is 2nd worst, behind the 41 conceded in 2016/17 when Warnock took over. With 78 goals scored and conceded in 27 games, only two seasons have seen more goals (both 82, 2003/04, 2009/10).

We are 4 points from the playoffs, the 6th biggest gap we've had from the top 6 in 15 seasons. In Russell Slade's full season, we had 2 more points than we do currently but were 5 points away from the playoffs. We've been on 38 points on 3 occasions and been 5, 4 and 1 point from the playoffs, showing the unpredictable nature of this division.

It might not be too surprising to learn that our biggest points gaps above 6th place were our two promotion seasons. In each of our playoff seasons, we were in the playoffs at this point. We have yet to make the playoffs from a position of being outside them at this point in the season. This season seems likely to continue that trend.

Re: After 27 games in the Championship - a comparison

I also think that the last place in the play offs this season won’t require as many points as usual as there is a lot of inconsistency in the teams that occupy that place week to week. Having said that I don’t think we’ll be consistent enough to make that last place, your stats analysis seems to back that up

Quote Originally Posted by Don Corleone View Post
    I also think that the last place in the play offs this season won’t require as many points as usual as there is a lot of inconsistency in the teams that occupy that place week to week. Having said that I don’t think we’ll be consistent enough to make that last place, your stats analysis seems to back that up
    Call me a madman, I might be in the minority, but I'd be happy for us to miss out on the play offs this season.

Quote Originally Posted by dembethewarrior View Post
    Call me a madman, I might be in the minority, but I'd be happy for us to miss out on the play offs this season.
    I think we're better off pissing around in mid table while Harris tries to work out his style and first 11 before the summer. Imagine if we somehow fluked a play-off promotion with this side

Quote Originally Posted by Llandaff Blue View Post
    I think we're better off pissing around in mid table while Harris tries to work out his style and first 11 before the summer. Imagine if we somehow fluked a play-off promotion with this side
    I think there are a couple that think this way, I made this point before Xmas, I'd be terrified if we went up with this team, people can say all they want about spending and changing it but I agree with your post, let's have a look at how we plan on playing and take the time to get there while sorting the ins and outs as well.

I think there are a couple that think this way, I made this point before Xmas, I'd be terrified if we went up with this team, people can say all they want about spending and changing it but I agree with your post, let's have a look at how we plan on playing and take the time to get there while sorting the ins and outs as well.
    Agreed. The whole club needs a plan. It hasnt had one for years.

If we were to make the Play Offs and, somehow, go up that would mean another £100 million plus with which to put together a side which would be competitive in the Premier League - other teams have managed to do that by spending a lot less than that. Therefore, there is no sane reason to turn down the chance of something like that happening. Much more likely if we make the top six is that we go out in the Semi's, but that wouldn't cost us anything and if we were to make it to the Final and lose, there would be quite a windfall for the club considering we'd get the winning team's prize money, so I don't see any reason not to keep on chasing a Play Off place even though I accept that it's increasing unlikely that we'll get one.

Quote Originally Posted by the other bob wilson View Post
    If we were to make the Play Offs and, somehow, go up that would mean another £100 million plus with which to put together a side which would be competitive in the Premier League - other teams have managed to do that by spending a lot less than that. Therefore, there is no sane reason to turn down the chance of something like that happening. Much more likely if we make the top six is that we go out in the Semi's, but that wouldn't cost us anything and if we were to make it to the Final and lose, there would be quite a windfall for the club considering we'd get the winning team's prize money, so I don't see any reason not to keep on chasing a Play Off place even though I accept that it's increasing unlikely that we'll get one.
    Respect your opinion but I don't see us spending if we go up with this team, even our board isn't that stupid, it is clear this lot are lacking and simply spending in one transfer window to attempt to stay up and force over the cracks? I dont see Tan falling for it.

I can think of 180 million reasons for going up

Quote Originally Posted by kendoddsdadsdogsdead View Post
    I can think of 180 million reasons for going up
    We could use the money to build a base to be an even better Championship level team, that way if we come back down we can go back up even stronger.

Why hasn't anyone thought if this before? Seems a fool proof plan.

We could use the money to build a base to be an even better Championship level team, that way if we come back down we can go back up even stronger.

Why hasn't anyone thought if this before? Seems a fool proof plan.
    Like we did this summer....

Quote Originally Posted by Eric the Half a Bee View Post
    Like we did this summer....
    Boom boom tish