+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Passing from the back

Passing from the back

A stat taken from @TheSecondTier twitter account.

Defenders with the worst passing accuracy in the Championship this season:

1. Sean Morrison - 54.8%
    2. Curtis Nelson - 58.5%
    3. Aden Flint - 60.1%
    4. Murray Wallace - 61.1%
    5. Lee Peltier - 62.8%
    6. Aapo Halme - 63%
    7. Ben Purrington - 64.1%

Now I know it's common knowledge that we are long ball merchants (I dare say the word 'direct' as that suggests it's much less of an eye sore as it actually is), but to see that we occupy 4 of the top 5 spots in this list is absolutely abysmal, and I think tells half the story of why we can't keep the ball. Our midfield can't maintain possession because the ball is too often pumped over their heads. I think this is one the places we should identify to make changes over the next few transfer windows if we are to see an improvement in style, and as another thread points out, we really miss Bruno Manga!

Re: Passing from the back

Quote Originally Posted by Bothroyd's Diving Coach View Post

1. Sean Morrison - 54.8%
    2. Curtis Nelson - 58.5%
    3. Aden Flint - 60.1%
    5. Lee Peltier - 62.8%
    6. Aapo Halme - 63%

Now I know it's common knowledge that we are long ball merchants (I dare say the word 'direct' as that suggests it's much less of an eye sore as it actually is), but to see that we occupy 4 of the top 5 spots in this list is absolutely abysmal, and I think tells half the story of why we can't keep the ball. Our midfield can't maintain possession because the ball is too often pumped over their heads. I think this is one the places we should identify to make changes over the next few transfer windows if we are to see an improvement in style, and as another thread points out, we really miss Bruno Manga!
    Shocking figures. You can come out with excuses about how we look to get the ball forward quickly and we don't pass the ball around at the back as much as other sides, but I can't see any way whatsoever that stats like those reflect well on us.

I’m surprised that Flint has better stats than Morrison and Nelson!

All they have to do is do what other clubs do, pass the ball around the back about 10 times from a goal kick. And then the 'keeper comes under pressure and lumps it long anyway. Their stats will improve but it's not better than what we see now. That's probably the reason other clubs' players have better stats, they leave it to the goalie to kick it long.

Quote Originally Posted by The Hooded Claw View Post
    I’m surprised that Flint has better stats than Morrison and Nelson!
    He passes to Pack.

Quote Originally Posted by cardiff55 View Post
    All they have to do is do what other clubs do, pass the ball around the back about 10 times from a goal kick. And then the 'keeper comes under pressure and lumps it long anyway. Their stats will improve but it's not better than what we see now. That's probably the reason other clubs' players have better stats, they leave it to the goalie to kick it long.
    Refer to Bob's post above.

4 of the top 5.. Haha that is pretty shocking.

These figures could easily be skewed if they include long balls/clearances as passes. Obviously, the longer the "pass" the less accurate it is likely to be. Meanwhile, if you have a defence that knocks it about between themselves when no-one is even close, it's easy to rack-up sucessful passes.

1. Sean Morrison - 54.8%
    2. Curtis Nelson - 58.5%
    3. Aden Flint - 60.1%
    5. Lee Peltier - 62.8%
    6. Aapo Halme - 63%

I don't believe in overly passing from the back. It's mostly passing for the sake of it.

As an aside, from the same Twitter account.

Ignore the red.

I noticed Sunday Morrison wasn't automatically looking to hoof the ball, maybe they've started to change things. Also he said after the match that they haven't had loads of time to work on stuff such as playing style (can't remember his exact wording) so it's obviously going to be a slow process.

I don't even care if we pass out from the back, but it'd be nice to be able to have it in our locker, and not the pointless 18 passes just what's needed...

Quote Originally Posted by Louth View Post
    I don't believe in overly passing from the back. It's mostly passing for the sake of it.
    I understand the handful saying numbers are skewed by pointless passes between defenders, but surely the stats show we are far and away too overboard the other way?! I agree I'm not one for 15 passes between defenders as we don't have the skill nor patience like Man City at the back to wait for an opening but that doesn't mean a pass success of ~60% is acceptable! No wonder we cannot keep hold of the ball if 4 out of every 10 balls from the back (where generally the 'easier' passes are made) find the opposition!

I understand the handful saying numbers are skewed by pointless passes between defenders, but surely the stats show we are far and away too overboard the other way?! I agree I'm not one for 15 passes between defenders as we don't have the skill nor patience like Man City at the back to wait for an opening but that doesn't mean a pass success of ~60% is acceptable! No wonder we cannot keep hold of the ball if 4 out of every 10 balls from the back (where generally the 'easier' passes are made) find the opposition!
    Thin you and Bob are both right, but people will never tire of telling people what they already know, we all know passing round the back bumps the stats a bit but these guys actually CAN pass the ball as well.

We must be getting better, on Sunday we kept 50% of possession against the current world
    Champions of irrelevant passing

Quote Originally Posted by cardiff55 View Post
    So no clubs in the championship play out from the back?

Quote Originally Posted by Grangenders View Post
    We must be getting better, on Sunday we kept 50% of possession against the current world
    Champions of irrelevant passing
    They probably counted the 4 minute handbags when Cabango fouled Glatzel as possession to us.

1. Sean Morrison - 54.8%
    2. Curtis Nelson - 58.5%
    3. Aden Flint - 60.1%
    5. Lee Peltier - 62.8%
    6. Aapo Halme - 63%

At least were top of something

Quote Originally Posted by NYCBlue View Post
    These figures could easily be skewed if they include long balls/clearances as passes. Obviously, the longer the "pass" the less accurate it is likely to be. Meanwhile, if you have a defence that knocks it about between themselves when no-one is even close, it's easy to rack-up sucessful passes.
    its easier to just watch a match

Quote Originally Posted by dembethewarrior View Post
    He passes to Pack.
    Who then passes it sideways to .....anyone. People were always critical of Ralls for this bit I think Pack has taken sideways passing to a different level. Often killing any momentum we have.

Quote Originally Posted by Baloo View Post
    As an aside, from the same Twitter account.

Ignore the red.
    My all time favourite Cardiff City player

That's one school of thought. I don't like this playing in your own box pollava or giving the ball to defenders when the opposition are pressing quickly although it can work as the higher up the pitch a team is the more space their is to exploit if you get beyond them. I don't believe that teams pass it about for the sake of it, it may bore the bollocks of us as fans, but i think it's about teams looking for an opening, if nothing is on then they start again.

Who's Murray Wallace, and when can we sign him?
    Maybe in a swap deal, with Joe Bennett going the other way. He's clearly letting the side down.

No it's not. The idea behind it is to create space further up the pitch when the opposition presses the defenders. However most sides aren't good enough to do it, which is why you see sides like Bournemouth get trounced because they have no idea what they're doing on the ball.

It's a fad that will die off at this level soon enough. Only certain coaches are intelligent enough to drill their sides into doing it.

There's passing from the back and passing around at the black. The two are completely different. Passing around at the back can be extremely dangerous. But passing from the back and moving the ball swiftly and accurately has got to be better than booting up for a 50/50. Even if the other team is trying to high press and players are getting closed down, there's still option to boot it upfield.

Quote Originally Posted by Garth Blue View Post
    My all time favourite Cardiff City player
    Mine too.