+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Vast Collection of Cardiff City Memorabilia for sale at Auction

Vast Collection of Cardiff City Memorabilia for sale at Auction

I have just discovered what seems to be a very important collection of CCFC memorabilia for sale at an auction house in East Anglia. Some of the stuff is so rare and important it would seem to me that the club needs to step in and acquire it unless, of course, the club is selling the stuff itself. Either way it needs to be stopped and kept in Cardiff. It would be scandalous if this collection was sold off to dealers and flogged off across the country. The date of the auction is 25 January so not much time to do something about it.

Lots 833 to 873 are CCFC items.

https://www.easyliveauction.com/cata...lectables-172/

Re: Vast Collection of Cardiff City Memorabilia for sale at Auction

I'd like to know the provenance of lot 850 - all that stuff seems as if it should be in Cardiff City's keeping.

Quote Originally Posted by alan_corneli View Post
    I'd like to know the provenance of lot 850 - all that stuff seems as if it should be in Cardiff City's keeping.
    I thought that was a very important lot, that was why I mentioned that the club might be selling it. If so it is would be a disgrace, it is the history of the club. Like selling off the family silver.

I know who is selling this. And how it was acquired form the club. It's not the club who is selling this stuff, two well know people connected with City acquired this stuff back in the 1980s, they state they were given it by the club at the time. One of the chaps is no longer with us.

Quote Originally Posted by Enoch Mort View Post
    I thought that was a very important lot, that was why I mentioned that the club might be selling it. If so it is would be a disgrace, it is the history of the club. Like selling off the family silver.
    I knew that the club had kept all match programmes from the 1920's onwards ; I thought they had them in their possession, but on refection it probably was someone with family associations to the club.

I agree this is something the club should be 'picking up'..

Quote Originally Posted by cardiff55 View Post
    I know who is selling this. And how it was acquired form the club. It's not the club who is selling this stuff, two well know people connected with City acquired this stuff back in the 1980s, they state they were given it by the club at the time. One of the chaps is no longer with us.
    That is interesting so the club are not selling the family silver, they sold it in the 1980s. I am somewhat staggered that the club could have disposed of its history just like that. Other clubs value and preserve their history. I know Jimmy Scoular’s granddaughter who told me that the family had the great man’s football archive including such things as his 1955 FA Cup Winners Medal, thé shirt he wore in that final and also the ball from that game. As soon as Newcastle United were aware that his memorabilia was being disposed of they beat a path to her door to ensure they acquired it for their museum. That’s the sort of attitude the City should have. If it was disposed of in the 1980s then we can’t blame Vincent Tan for it but he could go a long way to right past wrongs by getting it back.

How can we be sure that people currently at the club KNOW about this sale? Anyone have a direct line in?

Quote Originally Posted by Maurice Swan View Post
    How can we be sure that people currently at the club KNOW about this sale? Anyone have a direct line in?
    If the seller included a crap journeyman striker in the auction the club would be all over it

I would assume that the auction house have asked for proof of ownership of the items before putting them up for auction? The nature of the items would make you think that they wouldn't be in private ownership.

How the hell did it come about that the club decided to part with this stuff? How exactly was it "acquired"?

Quote Originally Posted by alan_corneli View Post
    In (I think) August 1997, City had an open day, so I took my daughter along. We were being shown around the boardroom by Joan Hill, when I remarked that there wasn't much Cardiff City memorabilia on display. Her reply was that most memorabilia had been "raped, pillaged and stolen by previous chairmen over the decades". Maybe that's how come these ledgers etc, have ended up in this auction?

The club should really do their utmost to buy everything here and put it in display. Sadly, we all know what Tan thinks of our heritage, history and culture.

Does anyone here have any connection with the club, to point this auction out to them?

Quote Originally Posted by NYCBlue View Post
    How the hell did it come about that the club decided to part with this stuff? How exactly was it "acquired"?
    Bear in mind that if what Cardiff55 is saying is true, most of this stuff was acquired during the 1980's - a time when the club was constantly teetering on the brink of bankruptcy and very few people were interested in it, let alone interested is stuff like this.

I'm fairly certain I know who is selling this stuff as I've seen some of it in person, including the directors' ledgers.

Quote Originally Posted by Mr Soul '68 View Post
    In (I think) August 1997, City had an open day, so I took my daughter along. We were being shown around the boardroom by Joan Hill, when I remarked that there wasn't much Cardiff City memorabilia on display. Her reply was that most memorabilia had been "raped, pillaged and stolen by previous chairmen over the decades". Maybe that's how come these ledgers etc, have ended up in this auction?

The club should really do their utmost to buy everything here and put it in display. Sadly, we all know what Tan thinks of our heritage, history and culture.

Does anyone here have any connection with the club, to point this auction out to them?

On behalf of the Trust I have already been speaking to the club up to and including board level about this for some time and am awaiting a decision from them ( certain people at the club have been trying to help)

Quote Originally Posted by Since62 View Post
    On behalf of the Trust I have already been speaking to the club up to and including board level about this for some time and am awaiting a decision from them ( certain people at the club have been trying to help)
    That is great news!! These items really do belong back at the club

Good to hear !

I should hope so. The club needs to resolve ASAP. Before these items go up for auction.

Weve probably just given Madine the best part of a years pay to **** him off. The cost of his wages for a week would buy that lot.

Quote Originally Posted by Henry Hill View Post
    Weve probably just given Madine the best part of a years pay to **** him off. The cost of his wages for a week would buy that lot.
    We could auction one of his Lonsdale Belts

Quote Originally Posted by The Lone Gunman View Post
    Bear in mind that if what Cardiff55 is saying is true, most of this stuff was acquired during the 1980's - a time when the club was constantly teetering on the brink of bankruptcy and very few people were interested in it, let alone interested is stuff like this.

I'm fairly certain I know who is selling this stuff as I've seen some of it in person, including the directors' ledgers.
    They club didn't sell it in the 1980s, the people who have/had it say they were given it. Joan Hill''s comment above by Mr Soul '68 ring true only it wasn't the club chairmen.

Top sides estimates = £15,000, they can use the gate receipts from the Carlisle home game!

The club didn't sell it in the 1980s, the people who have/had it say they were given it.
    I didn't say the club sold it in the Eighties. I said that the owner acquired it during the Eighties according to you and that was a time when the club was in turmoil and very few people were interested in it.

To be honest, I doubt that most of this stuff actually was obtained from the club itself. Some of it was no doubt, but I've seen a lot of similar items to the 1927 stuff on eBay or up for auction before.

This is obviously from a private a collection and I think it's pretty obvious whose it is.

Quote Originally Posted by The Lone Gunman View Post
    I didn't say the club sold it in the Eighties. I said that the owner acquired it during the Eighties according to you and that was a time when the club was in turmoil and very few people were interested in it.

To be honest, I doubt that most of this stuff actually was obtained from the club itself. Some of it was no doubt, but I've seen a lot of similar items to the 1927 stuff on eBay or up for auction before.

This is obviously from a private a collection and I think it's pretty obvious whose it is.
    Sorry, someone else above referred to the possibility that the club sold some of the stuff at auction. Yes, some would have been acquired from different sources, but I know the bound volumes of programmes were from the club. The owner has the right to sell them, maybe he/she is just cashing in, the need to have stuff or collect diminishes with age and it's better to have the money. I have a friend with a complete set of post war Cardiff homes programmes and his daughter says she's putting them in a skip when he passes, so selling up avoids that scenario.

So who is it - the author?

Quote Originally Posted by Toadstool View Post
    So who is it - the author?
    The two people who seem to know i.e. Cardiff55 and TLG are being very coy about the whole thing.

Quote Originally Posted by Enoch Mort View Post
    The two people who seem to know i.e. Cardiff55 and TLG are being very coy about the whole thing.
    With good reason, probably