Quote Originally Posted by Enoch Mort View Post
Well, yes, I think we can all guess which particular person with a deep interest and knowledge of the history of CCFC is the vendor. What angers me is what seems to be, in the past, a blatant disregard by the club in its own history to allow such important material to be lost to private hands with the eventual likelihood of it being spread to the four winds. The Trust in the past have suggested to the club that they set up a Museum, they probably did so unaware of the fact that the club probably don’t have any exhibits to put in it. In respect of your question about who would want the dusty old ledgers, you are correct that they are probably not suitable exhibit material but there is an organisation located next door to CCS run by the Council who would love to have them, conserve them and make them available to the public to consult.

Another thing that occurs to me is that this particular auction may only be the tip of the iceberg. It is common sense for an auctioneer not to flood the market so what isn’t for sale at the moment? Looking at the lots there are virtually no 1930s programmes, no Wartime programmes, no Southern League programmes prior to 1920. Are there shirts, medals, international caps? What about material related to Riverside FC ? I wonder what the club doesn’t know it doesn’t have ?

Anyway, as I said before, it all seems to be pre VT but he can go some way to redeem himself and get it all back and keep it where it belongs. At the ground and on display.
I think the stuff was shared between two people. When the other fellow died, there was an auction but I only ever saw one lot of a bound volume which didn't sell. It may be his family disposed of the rest privately. And a number of pre War programmes have surfaced over the last few years, without cover, which means they would have been split from a bound volume. But I think there was a 50/50 split of the stuff than came out of the club, between the two of them.

I would bid on these but need to pay for my holiday this month!