+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Congestion Charge proposed for Cardiff

Congestion Charge proposed for Cardiff

Re: Congestion Charge proposed for Cardiff

Unsurprising, and no issue with it as it's not financially effecting Cardiff residents. Won't be surprised if the council does chase a workplace parking levy at some point given its massive success in Nottingham. Given Cardiff's pollution levels, this really isn't a shocking move, and a good way of funding the metro. If it ever happens.

Dont think that a £2 congestion charge will be too much of a deterrent to get travellers onto other forms of transport. Needs to be a fiver at least.

Quote Originally Posted by The Bloop View Post
    Dont think that a £2 congestion charge will be too much of a deterrent to get travellers onto other forms of transport. Needs to be a fiver at least.
    It's not supposed to be a deterrent it's just another method of increasing Tax. Funny how somebody on here stated that the Global extinction protest was welcomed by the council so they could test impact without getting any comeback.

Quote Originally Posted by Ribeye View Post
    It's not supposed to be a deterrent it's just another method of increasing Tax. Funny how somebody on here stated that the Global extinction protest was welcomed by the council so they could test impact without getting any comeback.
    It wasn't me who said that on here, neither did I see someone see it. However, I thought it myself at the time as the council seemed very lax to proceedings.

Quote Originally Posted by Ribeye View Post
    It's not supposed to be a deterrent it's just another method of increasing Tax.
    It's only a method of increasing tax if everyone carries on as normal. The idea behind it is to change the way people go into the city.

Should be for everyone including Cardiff residents , to force utilisation of public transport and create more funds to invest in more trains and buses .

I think it's about time for a transport rethink. Reroute trains down Queen St, demolish the castle and build a 21st century transport hub there.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Eric the Half a Bee View Post
    It's only a method of increasing tax if everyone carries on as normal. The idea behind it is to change the way people go into the city.
    Yeah, that's great. Trains once an hour from Merthyr, Ebbw Vale, Rhymney. Buses twice an hour but takes 2 hours to get from Ebbw Vale to Cardiff. This only works in London because public transport exists. It's not enough of a deterrent to stop people travelling into the City from these places so, yeah, it is a tax increase.

"It won't affect the people of Cardiff", maybe but if it becomes a hassle to pay the congestion charge then maybe people will not go to Cardiff as often. Great news for the high street. Not.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by life on mars View Post
    Should be for everyone including Cardiff residents , to force utilisation of public transport and create more funds to invest in more trains and buses .
    More funds to invest in traffic cameras more likely.

Quote Originally Posted by CCFCC3PO View Post
    Yeah, that's great. Trains once an hour from Merthyr, Ebbw Vale, Rhymney. Buses twice an hour but takes 2 hours to get from Ebbw Vale to Cardiff. This only works in London because public transport exists. It's not enough of a deterrent to stop people travelling into the City from these places so, yeah, it is a tax increase.

"It won't affect the people of Cardiff", maybe but if it becomes a hassle to pay the congestion charge then maybe people will not go to Cardiff as often. Great news for the high street. Not.
    Trains from those places are every half an hour during the day.

None of this will be implemented without improvements in public transport.

I wonder if there'll also be better park and ride as well.

How would it work? Would it be a vehicle recognition thing which would immediately recognise through the number plate the address that the vehicle is registered to? I’d imagine many firms that have a few bases but only one within the city boundaries would link every works vehicle to their Cardiff address. Perhaps some places like Taffs Well etc would be looking to be ‘adopted’ by CCC rather than RCT. £2 being initially proposed but if it does come off we all know that’ll increase quite rapidly. Two out of town vans that wouldn’t be able to avoid the £2 zone would be costing a firm £20 a week starting off.

Quote Originally Posted by life on mars View Post
    From the council who agreed to scrap the bus station right next to the other main public transport service and put some more businesses in its place.

I cannot remember the last time I drove into the centre, its over a few years now, I;ve walked in twice since xmas and getting the train home, its only a 3.6 mile walk so of course, the vast majority who use the City Centre walking isn't an option, I'm all for banning private cars into the city centre but not without planning and quite frankly I do not think this council has the ability to plan for this. Additionally the majority will not give up their car no matter how expensive it is made, has to be banned with no exception other than for emergency service vehicles, I would like to see Cardiff be a UK leader on this front not a city who just follow others and do it poorly.

Banned

No they're not.

Rhymney to Cardiff
    7:43
    8:33
    9:27
    10:27
    11:27
    12:27
    13:27
    14:27
    15:27
    16:27
    17:27
    then......
    20:00 - 2hrs 33 mins after the 17:27

Ebbw Vale
    6:35
    7:37
    8:40
    9:38
    10:37
    11:37
    12:37
    13:37
    14:37
    15:37
    16:37
    17:37

Merthyr is every 30 minutes.

No they're not.

Rhymney to Cardiff
    7:43
    8:33
    9:27
    10:27
    11:27
    12:27
    13:27
    14:27
    15:27
    16:27
    17:27
    then......
    20:00 - 2hrs 33 mins after the 17:27

Ebbw Vale
    6:35
    7:37
    8:40
    9:38
    10:37
    11:37
    12:37
    13:37
    14:37
    15:37
    16:37
    17:37

Merthyr is every 30 minutes.
    Yes, I knew the Merthyr frequency. I thought Rhymney was as well. My mistake. Obviously not the patronage to have a regular 30 minute service, though that will change with the metro.

New park and ride facilities are proposed at j32 and j33 and also near the new St Mellons Parkway station

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Nelsonca61 View Post
    From the council who agreed to scrap the bus station right next to the other main public transport service and put some more businesses in its place.

I cannot remember the last time I drove into the centre, its over a few years now, I;ve walked in twice since xmas and getting the train home, its only a 3.6 mile walk so of course, the vast majority who use the City Centre walking isn't an option, I'm all for banning private cars into the city centre but not without planning and quite frankly I do not think this council has the ability to plan for this. Additionally the majority will not give up their car no matter how expensive it is made, has to be banned with no exception other than for emergency service vehicles, I would like to see Cardiff be a UK leader on this front not a city who just follow others and do it poorly.
    Cardiff cannot be a leader in this simply because the City Centre on a Saturday is full of people from the Valleys and further afield. Home working is one way to tackle this in the week, but the City is snarled up on a Saturday too. Been getting worse since St Davids 2 because now everyone is heading to the same car park.

Banned

Yes, I knew the Merthyr frequency. I thought Rhymney was as well. My mistake. Obviously not the patronage to have a regular 30 minute service, though that will change with the metro.

It has to change Eric, but until it does penalising people who have limited options is a tax rise pure and simple.

It has to change Eric, but until it does penalising people who have limited options is a tax rise pure and simple.
    But the council have said there would be no congestion charge before significant improvements to public transport.

Perhaps they'll get moving on the Metro system...
    and the St Mellons station...

Cardiff cannot be a leader in this simply because the City Centre on a Saturday is full of people from the Valleys and further afield. Home working is one way to tackle this in the week, but the City is snarled up on a Saturday too. Been getting worse since St Davids 2 because now everyone is heading to the same car park.
    That's quite a negative attitude, especially considering the climate crises, totally agree regarding home working, I can do 95% of my job sat in the chair I'm sitting in now, and do it more efficiently, with better computer equipment and with a faster internet connection, I will bring this into any annual negotiation this year. British bosses outside government dept.'s are not in tune with this way of working.

Banned

I should say that I travelled from Ebbw Vale to Cardiff to work every day. The bus was not an option. The train was as expensive as the car, without the convenience. I am conscious about our cars choking the residents of cities, and the 50 mph speed limit to cut on pollution on the A470 road makes a little sense, but also makes motorists feel victimised.

In the end, I took a lower paid job in Blackwood. I also no longer go into Cardiff shopping. I am certain the council doesn't want people to stop going to their city, but they're not going the right way around it.

Sort out public transport first. Then charge people when they have legitimate options.

Banned

But the council have said there would be no congestion charge before significant improvements to public transport.
    Define significant.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Nelsonca61 View Post
    That's quite a negative attitude, especially considering the climate crises, totally agree regarding home working, I can do 95% of my job sat in the chair I'm sitting in now, and do it more efficiently, with better computer equipment and with a faster internet connection, I will bring this into any annual negotiation this year. British bosses outside government dept.'s are not in tune with this way of working.
    It's hardly negative. As you can see from my other reply, I am conscious of the climate crisis and have taken a decision that has cost me financially to try to cut out travel to Cardiff which is both inconvenient and expensive whichever way you look at it. Changed job last June, and have only been in the City centre once since then.

Define significant.

Just carry on your downer then.