+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: The much maligned Flint

Re: The much maligned Flint

Quote Originally Posted by Bobby Dandruff View Post
    I suspect playing against teams like Carlisle is more his level as he certainly isn’t a Championship standard defender.

Not from what I have seen since he has been at Cardiff City anyway.
    He's had good and bad games. Our defensive problems are not down to Flint, they're a team issue. Judging on his displays against Carlisle, there's a reason we've not seen Coxe in the league.

[QUOTE=delmbox;5038892]He reminds you of Beckenbaur and Ferdinand and you reckon he's as fast as Bolt, and you value him at £8m? Clueless about football[/QUOTE

Umm I think that's called irony Delmbox.

Quote Originally Posted by Moodybluebird View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by delmbox View Post
    He reminds you of Beckenbaur and Ferdinand and you reckon he's as fast as Bolt, and you value him at £8m? Clueless about football

Umm I think that's called irony Delmbox.
    I think Delmbox was also doing a bit of the old irony.

Bit odd to see people criticising him for last night without even watching the goals or highlights.

I just watched them ( on top of listening to the commentary where it seemed he was a one man show there, hardly a mention of Bamba in the whole game)

and to single him out for the defensive display is pretty unfair .

He’s lost his bearings for the first goal, but then the marking in the box when the cross came in is terrible.

2nd goal the lad behind him ( think it is Coxe) has lost him man.

3rd goal there’s 3 players around the ball sleeping.

Flint is actually the only one to react.
    No defender would have stopped that

He’s done far more good than bad for us and personally I think he’s been subject to a lot of very unfair comments.

You can’t just discount his goals and assists. For a team like ours they are precious.

Seems to be a theme of knocking centre half’s amongst our fans .. Hudson, Morrison now Flint.

I’m definitely one of the centre half union having played there most of my playing career and at this level it’s a big plus to have a commanding centre half like Flint or Morrison . You’ve got to be able to win your headers

I also don’t think that either are that bad on the ball. Passing accuracy is pretty meaningless for a team that doesn’t bother with the pointless passing around at the back and gets it forward early. This sort of thing could have cost Swansea a couple of times on Sunday where we cut these passes out if we’d had a bit more threat up front.

As for Flints time at Boro.
    He played all season, and was still in the starting XI at the end. Their defensive record was very good.

Woodgate wanted to go to a passing game and they needed the cash, so they sold him.

Morrison and Nelson were both very good v Swansea and will rightly keep their places. However we might need to call Flint up in the near future so I’m hoping he doesn’t read Messageboards as it isn’t really going to help his confidence.

By the way statistically on the who scored analysis site he’s one of our top 3 performers with Morrison and Ralls the only other ones scoring over 7 on average

"so I’m hoping he doesn’t read Messageboards as it isn’t really going to help his confidence."

Everybody from actors, pop stars, athlete's, darts players, random famous people they all get criticised.
    How many times have you seen a boxer get ripped to shreds (Price comes to mind) and just get on with it?
    If a few people posting their opinions on him (he's slow, turns like he's tap dancing on honey etc) knock his confidence then he isn't strong enough to be here.

I'm not saying he should automatically have to take it, but it's there and it's part of the game and they are comments based on his ability, which as a pro will always come under scrutiny. But you love having a pop at the fans anyway don't you.

Quote Originally Posted by Lawnmower View Post
    Bit odd to see people criticising him for last night without even watching the goals or highlights.

I just watched them ( on top of listening to the commentary where it seemed he was a one man show there, hardly a mention of Bamba in the whole game)

He’s lost his bearings for the first goal, but then the marking in the box when the cross came in is terrible.

He’s done far more good than bad for us and personally I think he’s been subject to a lot of very unfair comments.

You can’t just discount his goals and assists. For a team like ours they are precious.

Seems to be a theme of knocking centre half’s amongst our fans .. Hudson, Morrison now Flint.

I’m definitely one of the centre half union having played there most of my playing career and at this level it’s a big plus to have a commanding centre half like Flint or Morrison . You’ve got to be able to win your headers

I also don’t think that either are that bad on the ball. Passing accuracy is pretty meaningless for a team that doesn’t bother with the pointless passing around at the back and gets it forward early. This sort of thing could have cost Swansea a couple of times on Sunday where we cut these passes out if we’d had a bit more threat up front.

He played all season, and was still in the starting XI at the end. Their defensive record was very good.

Woodgate wanted to go to a passing game and they needed the cash, so they sold him.

Morrison and Nelson were both very good v Swansea and will rightly keep their places. However we might need to call Flint up in the near future so I’m hoping he doesn’t read Messageboards as it isn’t really going to help his confidence.

By the way statistically on the who scored analysis site he’s one of our top 3 performers with Morrison and Ralls the only other ones scoring over 7 on average
    The thing is, he is the only difference in personnel in our defence from last season and we now ship goals at an alarming rate (aside from the game against the JBs in which he didn’t play)

So whereas the form of the other defenders and Etheridge HAS dipped, I don’t see how Flint’s time at the club can be seen as anything other than very poor.

First impressions are often right (it was evident that Madine was useless from the very first time I saw him!) and nothing that I have seen from Flint so far, at this level, has impressed me. In fact, I often wonder if the opposition (and their fans!) see him in the team and think ‘Great, get the ball on the floor and isolate him and we’ll cause problems’ - see Brentford and QPR)

Now, I remember that Morrison was similar to Flint when he arrived at the club and I had serious doubts, but has improved immeasurably so there IS hope.

That said, I just can’t see, and haven’t seen, a pairing of Morrison and Flint working (zero pace for example) and so having to be SO selective about who else to play alongside Flint severely limits team selection.

A bit like HAVING to play Pack as CDM and then fit the whole team around him as is is unable to play anywhere else. :-(

Currently he is possibly a squad player suited for games against lower league opposition like Carlisle, until he improves. Which is a very expensive was to spend £4m, or whatever he cost from Boro.

The thing is, he is the only difference in personnel in our defence from last season and we now ship goals at an alarming rate (aside from the game against the JBs in which he didn’t play)

So whereas the form of the other defenders and Etheridge HAS dipped, I don’t see how Flint’s time at the club can be seen as anything other than very poor.

First impressions are often right (it was evident that Madine was useless from the very first time I saw him!) and nothing that I have seen from Flint so far, at this level, has impressed me. In fact, I often wonder if the opposition (and their fans!) see him in the team and think ‘Great, get the ball on the floor and isolate him and we’ll cause problems’ - see Brentford and QPR)

Now, I remember that Morrison was similar to Flint when he arrived at the club and I had serious doubts, but has improved immeasurably so there IS hope.

That said, I just can’t see, and haven’t seen, a pairing of Morrison and Flint working (zero pace for example) and so having to be SO selective about who else to play alongside Flint severely limits team selection.

A bit like HAVING to play Pack as CDM and then fit the whole team around him as is is unable to play anywhere else. :-(

Currently he is possibly a squad player suited for games against lower league opposition like Carlisle, until he improves. Which is a very expensive was to spend £4m, or whatever he cost from Boro.
    It was very poor recruitment by Warnock in my view we lost Manga and replaced him with a player too similar to Morrison
    I think Nelson was bought in as replacement for Sol, and I think he will make that position his own, I like the pairing of these two as I'm hopeful they will develop a Good partnership and understanding of each other's game.

Likewise I'm firmly in the camp of giving Glatzel and Whyte time to bed in and I think it's just plain daft to criticise a young fullbacks performance after two appearances.

Obviously I could be wrong about the lot of them, but I haven't seen anything in Flint or Pack which looks to me like they will be good additions to a team aiming for a top six finish.

Flint scored two goals against the team that is currently 21st ? In league two last night, more of a concern is how we shipped three goals against such lowly opposition!

Morrison was 23 when we signed him. Flint is 30 and it's unlikely that he will improve at this stage of his career.

Quote Originally Posted by Lawnmower View Post

You swear you were a professional footballer the way you go on about your "playing career" ffs

He was at fault for the first goal we conceded and actually turned his back on the 3rd goal before realising they had taken quickly and then reacted far too late.

He is a danger in the opposition box, there is no doubting that, but he is way too slow at the back and the way teams play today (Except us) you dont need a huge, commanding in the air centre half like you did in "your day".

As for Flints time at Boro he admitted himself he had a poor season so please stop trying to rewrite history to suit your argument.

The thing is, he is the only difference in personnel in our defence from last season and we now ship goals at an alarming rate (aside from the game against the JBs in which he didn’t play).
    He’s not the only difference, is he!
    We’ve also lost Manga, brought in Nelson, used Coxe a little bit, Jazz has returned from injury, Sol has barely played and even used Bacuna a bit, too, so our defence is quite different to last season.
    Saying that, I agree with the assessments here - he’s too slow and immobile. We shouldn’t be swayed by the goals scored, when the goals conceded are simply too high.

Quote Originally Posted by City123 View Post
    40 goals conceded in his 26 league games tends to back up olderblue's assertions
    We'll be better with a centre two of Morrison and Nelson I feel.

Heisenberg

Quote Originally Posted by J R Hartley View Post
    You swear you were a professional footballer the way you go on about your "playing career" ffs

He was at fault for the first goal we conceded and actually turned his back on the 3rd goal before realising they had taken quickly and then reacted far too late.

He is a danger in the opposition box, there is no doubting that, but he is way too slow at the back and the way teams play today (Except us) you dont need a huge, commanding in the air centre half like you did in "your day".

As for Flints time at Boro he admitted himself he had a poor season so please stop trying to rewrite history to suit your argument.
    Didn't see say it was the worst season of his career? Pretty damning, if you ask me.

He was probably Boro's highest rated player on WhoScored.com though, so what does Flint know...

Heisenberg

Quote Originally Posted by Heisenberg View Post
    Didn't he say it was the worst season of his career? Pretty damning, if you ask me.

He was probably Boro's highest rated player on WhoScored.com though, so what does Flint know...
    Corrected.

Quote Originally Posted by Heisenberg View Post
    Didn't see say it was the worst season of his career? Pretty damning, if you ask me.

"Diabolical" was how he described his season in the article I read.

You play teams the standard of Carlisle United every week and I guarantee you Flint will score goals.
    He is a menace at that level in the box and can head the ball powerfully from set pieces.

Sadly as my old man always said about him “he’s in the team to defend and not score and the fact he can head the ball means little at the back when he puts absolutely no direction on it at all”.

I like Big Aden. I always have because he always puts in effort and he cares.

But sadly in the Championship, he is exposed horrendously by faster, better players.

If you play Carlisle and the like each week he’ll do alright.
    Sadly playing the likes of West Brom and Brentford, he looks awfully out of place.

In some ways I hope he goes back to L1 so he can enjoy his football.

Quote Originally Posted by lardy View Post

Heisenberg

Quote Originally Posted by J R Hartley View Post
    "Diabolical" was how he described his season in the article I read.
    Not quite as bad as I'd thought then

“I'm hoping to improve this season – I mean it can't be hard to improve on last season because personally it was diabolical to be honest.”

Quote Originally Posted by delmbox View Post
    Unbelievable how that wasn't spotted when he replied

Quote Originally Posted by lardy View Post
    That old chestnut.

Quote Originally Posted by olderblue View Post
    It was very poor recruitment by Warnock in my view we lost Manga and replaced him with a player too similar to Morrison
    I think Nelson was bought in as replacement for Sol, and I think he will make that position his own, I like the pairing of these two as I'm hopeful they will develop a Good partnership and understanding of each other's game.

Likewise I'm firmly in the camp of giving Glatzel and Whyte time to bed in and I think it's just plain daft to criticise a young fullbacks performance after two appearances.

Obviously I could be wrong about the lot of them, but I haven't seen anything in Flint or Pack which looks to me like they will be good additions to a team aiming for a top six finish.

Flint scored two goals against the team that is currently 21st ? In league two last night, more of a concern is how we shipped three goals against such lowly opposition!
    Agree with all of that.

Quote Originally Posted by LeningradCowboy View Post
    Morrison was 23 when we signed him. Flint is 30 and it's unlikely that he will improve at this stage of his career.
    That is a good point :-(

Quote Originally Posted by The Hooded Claw View Post
    He’s not the only difference, is he!
    We’ve also lost Manga, brought in Nelson, used Coxe a little bit, Jazz has returned from injury, Sol has barely played and even used Bacuna a bit, too, so our defence is quite different to last season.
    Saying that, I agree with the assessments here - he’s too slow and immobile. We shouldn’t be swayed by the goals scored, when the goals conceded are simply too high.
    What I meant is that the first choice back 4 last year (in the Premier League!) was largely Pelts, Morrison, Bamba/Manga, Bennett.

The most significant change this season is Flint for Bamba/Manga. Coxe and Jazz have hardly played so far this season (Coxe has played twice I think and Jazz, maybe twice?), and Bacuna has been used infrequently in defence, and more in midfield.

Quote Originally Posted by cardiff55 View Post
    We'll be better with a centre two of Morrison and Nelson I feel.
    Agreed.

The problem with flint is that he's so slow to react to danger and he struggles to adjust his feet. That's not his fault, that's just how he was made. He is strong in the air and he is good at attacking the ball but it's plainly obvious that he's not the type of defender who we want when teams are trying to create openings and pockets of space in or around the penalty box.
    Morrison is a better defender and Nelson has better reactions and awareness than both of them. Flint and Morrison can't play together, they're to similar, they take up the same positions. Both of them need a player next to them who can read a situation and react quickly. Morrison is a better defender than flint.

Flint is the only player apart from Joe Ralls to score more than one goal in a game for us this season.

Bamba was 35 three days ago and has played 348 League games, with 148 of those in Scotland and 28 in Turkey and Italy.
    Nelson is 26 and has already played 324 League games, most albeit at a lower level than the Championship.
    Morrison is 29 and has played 320 League games (over 200 for us).
    Flint is 30 and has played 338 League games, and scored 44 goals!

So we don't lack experience at the back, just getting the right combination, which I believe is Morrison and Nelson. In the home game v Carlisle though you could see that Morrison and Bamba work well together as they seemed to know exactly where the other one was and moved about like a unit, even though we combed two goals. The difference this season is obviously Flint replacing Manga. We can now with hindsight see how good Manga was for us and what he added to the defence. It's no coincidence that we are shipping goals now., he started 138 league games for us, and for the last two seasons under Warnock played 34 games at right back- what a waste .