+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: The much maligned Flint

Re: The much maligned Flint

It’s all very well being good in the air but directing the ball that’s won in the air is pretty vital. Just winning it isn’t enough at this level, well at any level really, heading it aimlessly forward normally results in the ball being picked up by opposing midfielders who are coming forward facing your goal. Flint and to a certain extent Morrison get caught out like this frequently, they win the aerial duel but are then caught flat footed when the ball is moved quickly forward by the opposing player who’s picked the loose ball up. An opposing coach’s dream, especially if he’s got a decent midfield, our centre backs are in effect starting an attack against us. Christ, I’m also saying our midfield isn’t up to it here as well as they aren’t making themselves available from clearances.......perhaps the best clearance would be the one of personnel.

Quote Originally Posted by splott parker View Post
    It’s all very well being good in the air but directing the ball that’s won in the air is pretty vital. Just winning it isn’t enough at this level, well at any level really, heading it aimlessly forward normally results in the ball being picked up by opposing midfielders who are coming forward facing your goal. Flint and to a certain extent Morrison get caught out like this frequently, they win the aerial duel but are then caught flat footed when the ball is moved quickly forward by the opposing player who’s picked the loose ball up. An opposing coach’s dream, especially if he’s got a decent midfield, our centre backs are in effect starting an attack against us. Christ, I’m also saying our midfield isn’t up to it here as well as they aren’t making themselves available from clearances.......perhaps the best clearance would be the one of personnel.
    But that would be way too straight forward 😂😂

Quote Originally Posted by splott parker View Post
    Agree about the headed clearances, they're random. Also nobody there to pick them up if they did have some aim on them.

The midfield needs to protect the defence it gets walked through at times making it that much harder for the defenders, but yeah you are also spot in with your assessment of the defenders, it needs to get better, but they still need better protecting as well.

Quote Originally Posted by dembethewarrior View Post
    Agree about the headed clearances, they're random. Also nobody there to pick them up if they did have some aim on them.

The midfield needs to protect the defence it gets walked through at times making it that much harder for the defenders, but yeah you are also spot in with your assessment of the defenders, it needs to get better, but they still need better protecting as well.
    We're shit with the second ball, and even when we do anticipate the clearance it can take our midfield three touches before the ball is under control. There's a severe lack of cohesiveness in our team. I don't think that Harris knows what he's doing, i've been quite concerned over some of our displays. I don't care that he hasn't had a transfer window or two, by now it should be evident what he is trying to implement on the field. I can honestly say that i haven't got a clue.

Quote Originally Posted by Lawnmower View Post
    Bit odd to see people criticising him for last night without even watching the goals or highlights.

I just watched them ( on top of listening to the commentary where it seemed he was a one man show there, hardly a mention of Bamba in the whole game)

and to single him out for the defensive display is pretty unfair .

He’s lost his bearings for the first goal, but then the marking in the box when the cross came in is terrible.

2nd goal the lad behind him ( think it is Coxe) has lost him man.

3rd goal there’s 3 players around the ball sleeping.

Flint is actually the only one to react.
    No defender would have stopped that

He’s done far more good than bad for us and personally I think he’s been subject to a lot of very unfair comments.

You can’t just discount his goals and assists. For a team like ours they are precious.

Seems to be a theme of knocking centre half’s amongst our fans .. Hudson, Morrison now Flint.

I’m definitely one of the centre half union having played there most of my playing career and at this level it’s a big plus to have a commanding centre half like Flint or Morrison . You’ve got to be able to win your headers

I also don’t think that either are that bad on the ball. Passing accuracy is pretty meaningless for a team that doesn’t bother with the pointless passing around at the back and gets it forward early. This sort of thing could have cost Swansea a couple of times on Sunday where we cut these passes out if we’d had a bit more threat up front.

As for Flints time at Boro.
    He played all season, and was still in the starting XI at the end. Their defensive record was very good.

Woodgate wanted to go to a passing game and they needed the cash, so they sold him.

Morrison and Nelson were both very good v Swansea and will rightly keep their places. However we might need to call Flint up in the near future so I’m hoping he doesn’t read Messageboards as it isn’t really going to help his confidence.

By the way statistically on the who scored analysis site he’s one of our top 3 performers with Morrison and Ralls the only other ones scoring over 7 on average
    I commented on the commentary . It was savage....I didn't see the game , you wont find me being negative about him anywhere else.
    I have already stated this message board isn't the place for current Cardiff City football players.

Quote Originally Posted by Jimmy the Jock View Post
    I commented on the commentary . It was savage....I didn't see the game , you wont find me being negative about him anywhere else.
    I have already stated this message board isn't the place for current Cardiff City football players.
    I think that the criticism has generally been thought out, it's not personal. You can counter it and say what he does well or why he should be included in the starting 11.

Quote Originally Posted by Tuerto View Post
    I think that the criticism has generally been thought out, it's not personal. You can counter it and say what he does well or why he should be included in the starting 11.

Having watched the game highlights and goals I do have some sympathy as a Bamba was nowhere to be seen on many of the highlights where we are defending. However, he is one of the “liked” players so does not come in for much criticism.
    I thinkFlint is a good back up should Morrisson or Nelson become injured.
    He would be my replacement before a Bamba every time.

Quote Originally Posted by DubaiDai View Post
    Having watched the game highlights and goals I do have some sympathy as a Bamba was nowhere to be seen on many of the highlights where we are defending. However, he is one of the “liked” players so does not come in for much criticism.
    Thought you were at the game or had a working live stream the way you commented about coxe.

On the first goal i don't know what Flint was doing, wrong side of the carlisle player, he didn't make things difficult for him then a midfield player wasn't picking up the guy who scored, second one was richards getting done and Coxe ball watching, third goal the whole team switched off.

Fair comment .

He is one of those players who doesnt catch my eye , either positively or negatively .
    The commentators were savage , to the point ,I wondered how bad was he?
    I dont tend to write a player off after a couple of games , I always hope they will improve and be an asset to the team .
    I may be wrong but weren't you quite critical of Coxe last week ? To me that is shocking , I saw him charging up and down the wing in the second half and got hauled off when he was being a positive force on the game, that was poor management , Harris took the wind out of our sails.
    I had £50 on us at 4-1 at half time , Harris went down in my estimation

Morrison recently came back from injury and he was shocking , I thought it would be a while before we saw him again . He played next game, he was fantastic and has been very good since.
    Most of the comments on here regards our players are knee jerk , heroes one week , duds the next . Truth is, its a right few games before we should be slating players .
    Unless, of course, we are judging Tomlin who is a genius at this level.
    I am not blind enough to see he lost the ball a couple of times against Swansea that cost our defense a problem , still he is a genius in my eyes .

Thought you were at the game or had a working live stream the way you commented about coxe.
    I did have radio commentary and they were extremely critical of both a City fullbacks, particularly Coxe.
    If you check previous posts I have been very supportive of giving Coxe a chance but in both games against a Carlisle he has missed the chance to claim a spot.

We're shit with the second ball, and even when we do anticipate the clearance it can take our midfield three touches before the ball is under control. There's a severe lack of cohesiveness in our team. I don't think that Harris knows what he's doing, i've been quite concerned over some of our displays. I don't care that he hasn't had a transfer window or two, by now it should be evident what he is trying to implement on the field. I can honestly say that i haven't got a clue.
    This is a big difference to the year we got promoted, then we seemed to win every 2nd ball so a headed clearance became a chance to push forward whereas you’re right, this season a headed clearance is a chance for the opposition to attack. The midfield have a lot to answer for, it will improve with Joe Ralls fit again

Slow centre backs always are an easy target because if u stick a quick player behind and give them space theres little that can be done.

However it rarely happens in a game where its 1 ball into 40 yards of space.

Flint can do somethings well.others not so.

Some people are never going to be happy with him as want a different styld of football but he has a track record of being competent at this level.

I did have radio commentary and they were extremely critical of both a City fullbacks, particularly Coxe.
    If you check previous posts I have been very supportive of giving Coxe a chance but in both games against a Carlisle he has missed the chance to claim a spot.
    Think a few of us have, but my point was you're better off judging with your own eyes and not taking the word if the commentators.

Quote Originally Posted by mazadona10 View Post
    Slow centre backs always are an easy target because if u stick a quick player behind and give them space theres little that can be done.

Some people are never going to be happy with him as want a different styld of football but he has a track record of being competent at this level.
    He's not as bad as some are making him out to be in my opinion, it's his style and demeanour that singles him out on occasion. He does have deficiencies, as have been raised in other posts, but with a player like flint and to a lesser extent Morrison, you can't leave them exposed, the fullbacks need to tuck in and help them. Bennett has improved over the past couple of games but i think it's fair to say that he's been terrible this season and hasn't helped Flint out when needed.

Think a few of us have, but my point was you're better off judging with your own eyes and not taking the word if the commentators.
    True enough but I also threw in a few facts.
    One of the worst sides in division 2, who have failed to average a goal a game, managed 5 goals (and a missed penalty) against us over 2 games. I did see the home game and Coxe disappointed.
    Then commentators were saying that our full backs were getting “skinned” by their Carlisle attackers, then Harris subbed Coxe.
    I am afraid I didn’t really need to be there to make a valid comment.

True enough but I also threw in a few facts.
    One of the worst sides in division 2, who have failed to average a goal a game, managed 5 goals (and a missed penalty) against us over 2 games. I did see the home game and Coxe disappointed.
    Then commentators were saying that our full backs were getting “skinned” by their Carlisle attackers, then Harris subbed Coxe.
    I am afraid I didn’t really need to be there to make a valid comment.
    Seemed ok on the extended highlights to me first game.

Quote Originally Posted by mazadona10 View Post

I remember the same thing happened with Mark Hudson.
    We had Roger Johnson and Glenn Loovens, two of our finest CH's in recent times IMHO, preceding him and he took some terrible flak.

After a period of time people warmed to him as although he was different compared to the previous two, perhaps not as quick and mobile, he had other attributes (his reading of the game and leadership).
    Hudson was no spring chicken when he joined us either, a similar age to Flint.

Maybe Flint's best is to come?

Quote Originally Posted by MacAdder View Post
    I remember the same thing happened with Mark Hudson.
    We had Roger Johnson and Glenn Loovens, two of our finest CH's in recent times IMHO, preceding him and he took some terrible flak.

After a period of time people warmed to him as although he was different compared to the previous two, perhaps not as quick and mobile, he had other attributes (his reading of the game and leadership).
    Hudson was no spring chicken when he joined us either, a similar age to Flint.

Maybe Flint's best is to come?
    It's good to be positive but that's some top too wishful thinking, I don't think he's going to grow any faster overnight and I don't think he will suddenly get the sharpness that would stop him being turned by faster players when they at the ball around him.

He's definitely takes some stick on here (guilty) that may seem unfair but I don't think it's ever got personal, just simply pointing out his flaws, which will always be a part of his game.

Not sure why people (in general) get so precious over fans having an opinion on a player.