Click here for Cardiff City personalised gift shop
Results 1 to 26 of 26

Thread: Whittingham

  1. #1

    Whittingham

    Given that he’s been considered (at the very least) one of the best players of the Championship, wouldn’t the club benefit from getting him to help coaching our lot with their shooting?
    He’s a free agent at the moment and would surely give a lift to the team and the fans.

  2. #2

    Re: Whittingham

    You can't make a silk purse out of a sow's ear

  3. #3

    Re: Whittingham

    Just because he was s good player it doesn't follow that he will be a good coach

  4. #4

    Re: Whittingham

    Not sure why but he's never struck me as being a coach type person (might be well off here as I don't really know him).

    Positional sense he could help but when it comes to shooting I don't think you can coach that. You've either got it or you haven't IMHO.

    For me, Whittiingham has to be one of the best midfielders ever to pull a city shirt on, but you also have to remember that Whitts did have the luxury of playing with good players and was allowed to play his way.
    I remember him being very ordinarily at times. For example he got found wanting when he was asked to track back more playing a different system or with lesser talented players around him.

    On the whole he was special though.
    Oh for a Whitts (or McPhail) now. Someone who can put their foot on it, find a bit of space and pick a killer pass.
    Ralls might develop into that person but he's not there yet and his injuries might take their toll. Lets hope not.
    If we did have this person then the forwards we have I am sure would benefit.
    With our current defensive frailties though i'm afraid our priority has to be keepin' 'em out!

  5. #5

    Re: Whittingham

    Quote Originally Posted by MacAdder View Post
    Not sure why but he's never struck me as being a coach type person (might be well off here as I don't really know him).

    Positional sense he could help but when it comes to shooting I don't think you can coach that. You've either got it or you haven't IMHO.

    For me, Whittiingham has to be one of the best midfielders ever to pull a city shirt on, but you also have to remember that Whitts did have the luxury of playing with good players and was allowed to play his way.
    I remember him being very ordinarily at times. For example he got found wanting when he was asked to track back more playing a different system or with lesser talented players around him.

    On the whole he was special though.
    Oh for a Whitts (or McPhail) now. Someone who can put their foot on it, find a bit of space and pick a killer pass.
    Ralls might develop into that person
    but he's not there yet and his injuries might take their toll. Lets hope not.
    If we did have this person then the forwards we have I am sure would benefit.
    With our current defensive frailties though i'm afraid our priority has to be keepin' 'em out!
    I don't think Ralls will develop into that sort of person. He's not naturally gifted, unlike Whittingham.

  6. #6

    Re: Whittingham

    Quote Originally Posted by MacAdder View Post
    Not sure why but he's never struck me as being a coach type person (might be well off here as I don't really know him).

    Positional sense he could help but when it comes to shooting I don't think you can coach that. You've either got it or you haven't IMHO.

    For me, Whittiingham has to be one of the best midfielders ever to pull a city shirt on, but you also have to remember that Whitts did have the luxury of playing with good players and was allowed to play his way.
    I remember him being very ordinarily at times. For example he got found wanting when he was asked to track back more playing a different system or with lesser talented players around him.

    On the whole he was special though.
    Oh for a Whitts (or McPhail) now. Someone who can put their foot on it, find a bit of space and pick a killer pass.
    Ralls might develop into that person but he's not there yet and his injuries might take their toll. Lets hope not.
    If we did have this person then the forwards we have I am sure would benefit.
    With our current defensive frailties though i'm afraid our priority has to be keepin' 'em out!
    I reckon Tomlin might look pretty good playing behind Bothroyd and Chopra

  7. #7

    Re: Whittingham

    Quote Originally Posted by MacAdder View Post
    Not sure why but he's never struck me as being a coach type person (might be well off here as I don't really know him).

    Positional sense he could help but when it comes to shooting I don't think you can coach that. You've either got it or you haven't IMHO.

    For me, Whittiingham has to be one of the best midfielders ever to pull a city shirt on, but you also have to remember that Whitts did have the luxury of playing with good players and was allowed to play his way.
    I remember him being very ordinarily at times. For example he got found wanting when he was asked to track back more playing a different system or with lesser talented players around him.

    On the whole he was special though.
    Oh for a Whitts (or McPhail) now. Someone who can put their foot on it, find a bit of space and pick a killer pass.
    Ralls might develop into that person but he's not there yet and his injuries might take their toll. Lets hope not.
    If we did have this person then the forwards we have I am sure would benefit.
    With our current defensive frailties though i'm afraid our priority has to be keepin' 'em out!
    You can definitely coach shooting technique, how to strike the ball in different situations comes from coaching more so than from instinct. He could teach a few of them how to pass as well while he's at it

    Look at the way Gareth Bale or Harry Wilson strike the ball for example, that's coached not instinct

  8. #8

    Re: Whittingham

    Quote Originally Posted by City123 View Post
    You can definitely coach shooting technique, how to strike the ball in different situations comes from coaching more so than from instinct. He could teach a few of them how to pass as well while he's at it

    Look at the way Gareth Bale or Harry Wilson strike the ball for example, that's coached not instinct
    I would suggest its down to practice and nurturing an already natural talent rather than coaching. Both players you mention were already good strikers of the ball from a young age.

    Unsurprisingly, they are all left footers, who seem to be better strikers of the ball than right footed players.

    You couldnt coach the way Whitts struck the ball, that was natural. I used to enjoy watching him in the warm up when the attacking players took shots at the goalkeeper and his striking and accuracy were second to none. Cornelius on the other hand. He couldnt even hit the target in the warm up.

  9. #9

    Re: Whittingham

    Quote Originally Posted by Rock_Flock_of_Five View Post
    I don't think Ralls will develop into that sort of person. He's not naturally gifted, unlike Whittingham.
    No chance. Everything is 100 miles an hour with Ralls. Completely different player to Mcphail and Whitts.

  10. #10

    Re: Whittingham

    Quote Originally Posted by MacAdder View Post
    Not sure why but he's never struck me as being a coach type person (might be well off here as I don't really know him).

    Positional sense he could help but when it comes to shooting I don't think you can coach that. You've either got it or you haven't IMHO.

    For me, Whittiingham has to be one of the best midfielders ever to pull a city shirt on, but you also have to remember that Whitts did have the luxury of playing with good players and was allowed to play his way.
    I remember him being very ordinarily at times. For example he got found wanting when he was asked to track back more playing a different system or with lesser talented players around him.

    On the whole he was special though.
    Oh for a Whitts (or McPhail) now. Someone who can put their foot on it, find a bit of space and pick a killer pass.
    Ralls might develop into that person but he's not there yet and his injuries might take their toll. Lets hope not.
    If we did have this person then the forwards we have I am sure would benefit.
    With our current defensive frailties though i'm afraid our priority has to be keepin' 'em out!
    Found wanting trying to turn him into a player he wasnt, like Warnock did with Tomlin.

    Thankfully, for the most part, Whitts had a manager in Dave Jones who knew how best to utilise him. Malky used him well in the first 18 months of his tenure and then pushed him further and further back and then Slade completely ruined him.

  11. #11

    Re: Whittingham

    Quote Originally Posted by J R Hartley View Post
    I would suggest its down to practice and nurturing an already natural talent rather than coaching. Both players you mention were already good strikers of the ball from a young age.

    Unsurprisingly, they are all left footers, who seem to be better strikers of the ball than right footed players.

    You couldnt coach the way Whitts struck the ball, that was natural. I used to enjoy watching him in the warm up when the attacking players took shots at the goalkeeper and his striking and accuracy were second to none. Cornelius on the other hand. He couldnt even hit the target in the warm up.
    😂😂

  12. #12

    Re: Whittingham

    Quote Originally Posted by Rock_Flock_of_Five View Post
    I don't think Ralls will develop into that sort of person. He's not naturally gifted, unlike Whittingham.
    Agreed. You can already see what Ralls is and he's not all of a sudden going to change is he, he's 26.

  13. #13

    Re: Whittingham

    Quote Originally Posted by dembethewarrior View Post
    Agreed. You can already see what Ralls is and he's not all of a sudden going to change is he, he's 26.
    Well according to some it can be coached so why can't he change?

    I actually think that positional sense should get better with age (probably because of the need to expend less energy) and as for striking the ball, it's natural ability first and foremost. Confidence in oneself, dedication and practice must follow.

  14. #14

    Re: Whittingham

    Quote Originally Posted by MacAdder View Post
    Well according to some it can be coached so why can't he change?

    I actually think that positional sense should get better with age (probably because of the need to expend less energy) and as for striking the ball, it's natural ability first and foremost. Confidence in oneself, dedication and practice must follow.
    I think you can coach passing and shooting, maybe others think differently, but he also needs that X factor and I just don't think playing in the whitts mould is for Ralls, he's high energy box to box. Massively different.

  15. #15

    Re: Whittingham

    Quote Originally Posted by The Hooded Claw View Post
    Given that he’s been considered (at the very least) one of the best players of the Championship, wouldn’t the club benefit from getting him to help coaching our lot with their shooting?
    He’s a free agent at the moment and would surely give a lift to the team and the fans.
    I think he might lack the drive, personality, he seemed so quiet and unassuming, think you need a bit more confidence for those roles ??

  16. #16

    Re: Whittingham

    Quote Originally Posted by William Treseder View Post
    😂😂
    He is an enigma.

    Might just be finding his feet now, 6 goals in 12 for Parma.

  17. #17

    Re: Whittingham

    Quote Originally Posted by life on mars View Post
    I think he might lack the drive
    Years ago I remember one of his team mates saying Whitts would never leave Cardiff because it would mean having to move his Playstation.

  18. #18

    Re: Whittingham

    Quote Originally Posted by J R Hartley View Post
    I would suggest its down to practice and nurturing an already natural talent rather than coaching. Both players you mention were already good strikers of the ball from a young age.

    Unsurprisingly, they are all left footers, who seem to be better strikers of the ball than right footed players.

    You couldnt coach the way Whitts struck the ball, that was natural. I used to enjoy watching him in the warm up when the attacking players took shots at the goalkeeper and his striking and accuracy were second to none. Cornelius on the other hand. He couldnt even hit the target in the warm up.
    Hasnt Cornelius since played champions league football.
    And for his national side ?

  19. #19

    Re: Whittingham

    Quote Originally Posted by OurManFlint II View Post
    He is an enigma.

    Might just be finding his feet now, 6 goals in 12 for Parma.
    He was used as a political pawn at Cardiff by Mr Tan in an effort to discredit Malky Mackay .
    The players resented him as well because he was on top dollar and didn't look particularly good.

  20. #20

    Re: Whittingham

    Quote Originally Posted by Jimmy the Jock View Post
    Hasnt Cornelius since played champions league football.
    And for his national side ?
    And? What’s that got to do with anything? He still couldn’t hit the target in the warm up drills I’m referring to at that time. It was so evident that when the drill finished and the keeper went in he blasted the ball into the empty net and the Canton stand ironically cheered.

  21. #21

    Re: Whittingham

    Quote Originally Posted by J R Hartley View Post
    And? What’s that got to do with anything? He still couldn’t hit the target in the warm up drills I’m referring to at that time. It was so evident that when the drill finished and the keeper went in he blasted the ball into the empty net and the Canton stand ironically cheered.
    He scored tonight in a 2-1 defeat against Juventus, Ronaldo got the Turin side’s pair, he’s rubbing shoulders with a decent class of company these days.

  22. #22

    Re: Whittingham

    Cornelius would be our best player if he was here now wouldn't he?

  23. #23

    Re: Whittingham

    Quote Originally Posted by the other bob wilson View Post
    Cornelius would be our best player if he was here now wouldn't he?
    Perhaps we need to ask Cornelius why he was so poor here? He couldn't hit a cow's arse with a banjo during warm ups, he couldn't trap a bag of cement and his diving header attempt was hilarious. I sit in the Ninian near the shooting drills and he never, ever scored. I was at the Accrington game where he got injured and my God, he was bad. He's not exactly Pele either, he's scored 3 goals in Ligue 1 for Bordeaux last year and 3 goals for Atalanta the season before.

  24. #24

    Re: Whittingham

    Quote Originally Posted by the other bob wilson View Post
    Cornelius would be our best player if he was here now wouldn't he?
    Thats not exactly difficult!

    If Alex Revelll was here hed probably be our best striker!

  25. #25

    Re: Whittingham

    Quote Originally Posted by Pedro de la Rosa View Post
    Perhaps we need to ask Cornelius why he was so poor here? He couldn't hit a cow's arse with a banjo during warm ups, he couldn't trap a bag of cement and his diving header attempt was hilarious. I sit in the Ninian near the shooting drills and he never, ever scored. I was at the Accrington game where he got injured and my God, he was bad. He's not exactly Pele either, he's scored 3 goals in Ligue 1 for Bordeaux last year and 3 goals for Atalanta the season before.
    Thanks for backing up my drills story. You really did have to see them to believe it.

    Im not Tan, Ive got no axe to grind with the fella, he was just too young and inexperienced to be our main striker in the Premier League. His career has been a bit up and down since and maybe its on the way back up this season, but thats not going to change the fact that he was out of his depth here at that time.

  26. #26

    Re: Whittingham

    Quote Originally Posted by J R Hartley View Post
    Thats not exactly difficult!

    If Alex Revelll was here hed probably be our best striker!
    🤣🤣

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •