Quote Originally Posted by A Quiet Monkfish View Post
At one point this season City had 11 players on the injury list. Newcastle have the same currently. Arsenal 6 or 7. It's funny how with all this scientific training and diets the modern footballer is much more likely to get injured training than in the bad old days..
I think that you make a good point. Obviously i'm not medical or into sports science so my opinions are anecdotal although it does seem that way. doesn't it? Players were certainly tougher back then. I can remember players getting cortisone before games just so that they could play. Roger Gibbins had a full on virus before one game, he was out of it, but he played because he had to. When i was at the club the most naturally fit player was jason Perry, he could run forever. A player who was fit was a bloke named Leigh Barnard. He was brought in from Swindon where Lou Macari was manager, Macari was apparently a beast with fitness. Barnard would do shuttle runs around the pitch before training started. I can remember some of the first team looking on from the tunnel in dis belief. George Wood wasn't impressed