Quote Originally Posted by the other bob wilson View Post
Not only that, if you headed where the lace was, you'd have a Frankenstein type scar on your forehead for hours .

Anyone who has played cricket with the proper equipment has probably played the occasional shot where you barely felt ball on bat because it came off the "right" part of the bat and was timed pretty well. Conversely, and much more frequently in my case, there'd be the clunky shots whereby you'd feel a reaction all the way up your arms - something similar is almost certainly going on in a player's head when their heading technique goes wrong and there, surely, has to be a cumulative effect if someone has too many of those?

I can imagine people of my generation being against a ban on heading because it's been part of the game all of our lives and it is definitely a skill - I was only reminded a couple of days ago of my father's comment that the former Spurs forward Alan Gilzean's control of the ball with his head was better than many professionals' control with their feet. I think a ban on heading in the game is coming though and, when it does, certain types of player will become obsolete almost immediately.
Not to mention the old “ clash of heads” there have been some real bad uns over the yrs.