Thread: Carling Cup Final vs Liverpool on Sky Football

Carling Cup Final vs Liverpool on Sky Football

Now

Gunnarsson was quite quick back in the day wasn’t he

Re: Carling Cup Final vs Liverpool on Sky Football

Quote Originally Posted by WJ99mobile View Post
    Now

Gunnarsson was quite quick back in the day wasn’t he
    I really can’t get my head around fans who don’t want a cup run. I would say those years easily matched and probably topped the promotions in my opinion.

What a day out .
    Just switched it over and got a lump in my throat ..

Quote Originally Posted by Jimmy the Jock View Post
    What a day out .
    Just switched it over and got a lump in my throat ..
    Stil love it when Big Ben Turner scores !

Its in 2-2 .................................................. ............

I cried ..

would VAR have disallowed it ?

Quote Originally Posted by billy.ronson View Post
    Stil love it when Big Ben Turner scores !
    It was incredible, I watch it every now and then, same with Joe Mason's goal

Can't watch the penalties though

Quote Originally Posted by City123 View Post

Just switched it off before the end . Cant believe we had so many chances ......................

Bastard Gerrard. Sure he missed on purpose.

would VAR have disallowed it ?
    100%, it’s against Liverpool.

Kenny Bloody Miller 🙄
    I missed his chance on the day in the toilet, then when I saw it the next day!

One of the best days following City ....so proud that day , we gave it a real go !

Just switched it off before the end . Cant believe we had so many chances ......................
    When Heaton saved Gerrard's penalty I was convinced we'd win it, then Adam missed aswell!

I'm not sure Miller's chance was as easy as a lot of people make it out to be, he was on the turn with defenders closing in up against (at the time) one of the best keepers in the country

Quote Originally Posted by jeremy corbyn View Post
    Bastard Gerrard. Sure he missed on purpose.
    There are people who actually believe that.

Quote Originally Posted by lardy View Post
    There are people who actually believe that.
    I do.
    🤨

Quote Originally Posted by City123 View Post

Same here !

Quote Originally Posted by Moodybluebird View Post
    Same here !
    I have. With a sense of pride. While it was the only Wembley trip of the 4 that I didn't make, that was my proudest moment as a Bluebird.

Quote Originally Posted by jeremy corbyn View Post
    I do.
    ��
    Serious?

Think about how ambitious and single minded you have to be to become a footballer, particularly a non technical one like Gerrard.

His only chance to win something (his only game at Wembley?) and he'll give it up to let Liverpool win what is for them a minor trophy (even if it was their first for a while).

And in all the emotion, he'll make the decision to deliberately miss; but not just that. To miss by a tiny margin just so that it 'looks' as if he's tried to score.

Really? Come on.

Isn't it more likely he was trying to put it in the corner?

Quote Originally Posted by Eric the Half a Bee View Post
    I have. With a sense of pride. While it was the only Wembley trip of the 4 that I didn't make, that was my proudest moment as a Bluebird.
    That's a shame, as Turner's goal was the highest point of all four Wembley games.

I was just thinking the other day: if I could reverse three results (or outcomes) of any games what would they be? That would certainly be one of them.

The others would probably be one of:

Blackpool playoff final, FA Cup Final, Euros semi final. Maybe the Stoke playoff game. Any others?

Quote Originally Posted by lardy View Post
    That's a shame, as Turner's goal was the highest point of all four Wembley games.
    Mason's opener probably next on the list.

I find it curious that time hasn't been all that kind on Malky. That season was one that brought City fans together in a similar way to Warnock coming in. Jones had divided opinion and when he was sacked, we lost so many players. We didn't have the flair that Jones's sides had but we had a manager who would change tactics depending on the opposition and had a team that worked its socks off. We were unfortunate that we came up against a very strong West Ham side in the playoffs. That season ranks among my favourites of all time.

Quote Originally Posted by Eric the Half a Bee View Post
    Mason's opener probably next on the list.

I find it curious that time hasn't been all that kind on Malky. That season was one that brought City fans together in a similar way to Warnock coming in. Jones had divided opinion and when he was sacked, we lost so many players. We didn't have the flair that Jones's sides had but we had a manager who would change tactics depending on the opposition and had a team that worked its socks off. We were unfortunate that we came up against a very strong West Ham side in the playoffs. That season ranks among my favourites of all time.
    Yes I really enjoyed that season but unfortunately by the end our squad seemed shattered and it was no surprise we lost in play offs . Malay got a lot of praise from pundits and media for his efforts that season in particular the League cup final

I still think he did a good job as manager but the football at the end had started to become very dour in particular the away performances at Palace and Stoke just before he was sacked.

Quote Originally Posted by billy.ronson View Post
    Yes I really enjoyed that season but unfortunately by the end our squad seemed shattered and it was no surprise we lost in play offs . Malay got a lot of praise from pundits and media for his efforts that season in particular the League cup final

I still think he did a good job as manager but the football at the end had started to become very dour in particular the away performances at Palace and Stoke just before he was sacked.
    I've posted about this before and I think there are reasons for it.

The club (Tan) had a 3 year plan when Malky took over to win promotion. After we did so well in that first season, the expectation from the board was promotion the next season, ripping up the plan. Money was thrown at promotion. We started that season playing some good attacking stuff but we were leaking goals. We'd lost 5 out of 8 on the road when we lost 5-4 at Charlton and conceded 18. In context, this season we had only 16 after 8 aways. Malky's response was a more negative game based on being difficult to break down. It worked but it was not often exciting.

We won 14 of the next 18 games, all bar 1 by a single goal, scoring more than 2 in a game once. That dour run won us promotion but it was a war of attrition at times. The expectancy of the board and their demands of promotion meant we threw plans out of the window.

Quote Originally Posted by NYCBlue View Post
    I was just thinking the other day: if I could reverse three results (or outcomes) of any games what would they be? That would certainly be one of them.

The others would probably be one of:

Blackpool playoff final, FA Cup Final, Euros semi final. Maybe the Stoke playoff game. Any others?
    Away vs Fulham in the Premier League springs to mind.
    I wonder how different things might be now...

Quote Originally Posted by The Hooded Claw View Post
    Away vs Fulham in the Premier League springs to mind.
    I wonder how different things might be now...
    Possibly the referee”s assistant raising his flag against Chelsea......