+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Carling Cup Final vs Liverpool on Sky Football

Re: Carling Cup Final vs Liverpool on Sky Football

Quote Originally Posted by NYCBlue View Post
    I was just thinking the other day: if I could reverse three results (or outcomes) of any games what would they be? That would certainly be one of them.

The others would probably be one of:

Blackpool playoff final, FA Cup Final, Euros semi final. Maybe the Stoke playoff game. Any others?
    Jack's away this season 😐

Quote Originally Posted by NYCBlue View Post
    I was just thinking the other day: if I could reverse three results (or outcomes) of any games what would they be? That would certainly be one of them.

The others would probably be one of:

Blackpool playoff final, FA Cup Final, Euros semi final. Maybe the Stoke playoff game. Any others?
    1. Blackpool playoff final.
    2. Preston 6-0. If we could have won that, I reckon we'd have gone up automatically. Would have loved seeing that side in the Prem.
    3. Hull beating Swansea at the Wretch in the last game of the 2002/03 season.

Malky finally getting praise.
    He is the best manager we’ve had in the last 10 years in my opinion.

His first season was great, we played some really good stuff, remember his first home game against Bristol? Scintillating.
    We dominated Palace over the two semi final legs although we lost the first.
    His Watford team came to us the season before and were easily the best footballing team I’d seen that season even though we won 4-2.
    That same Watford team also ended Warnock’s QPR teams long unbeaten run by playing them off the park.

Yes it turned boring in the second season because of the pressure to get promoted after the rebrand but was it any worse than the drivel that has been served up since?
    Even under Jones we were absolutely shite for what seemed like weeks on end every few months.

Certainly no one was complaining about Mackay after his first season, after promotion and when his sacking was inevitable most people were fuming.

Only since his sacking and what’s come out have people decided to change their opinion of what they saw on the pitch.

Quote Originally Posted by The Bob Banker Spanker View Post
    Malky finally getting praise.
    He is the best manager we’ve had in the last 10 years in my opinion.

His first season was great, we played some really good stuff, remember his first home game against Bristol? Scintillating.
    We dominated Palace over the two semi final legs although we lost the first.
    His Watford team came to us the season before and were easily the best footballing team I’d seen that season even though we won 3-2.
    That same Watford team also ended Warnock’s QPR teams long unbeaten run by playing them off the park.

Yes it turned boring in the second season because of the pressure to get promoted after the rebrand but was it any worse than the drivel that has been served up since?
    Even under Jones we were absolutely shite for what seemed like weeks on end every few months.

Certainly no one was complaining about Mackay after his first season, after promotion and when his sacking was inevitable most people were fuming.

Only since his sacking and what’s come out have people decided to change their opinion of what they saw on the pitch.
    That's exactly how I see it.

Quote Originally Posted by Dave Blue View Post
    I really can’t get my head around fans who don’t want a cup run. I would say those years easily matched and probably topped the promotions in my opinion.
    This. The run to the FA Cup final particularly. Fantastic times to be a City fan.

Quote Originally Posted by Baloo View Post
    This. The run to the FA Cup final particularly. Fantastic times to be a City fan.
    If ever you wanted a season to have a cup run, this would be it, when we're unlikely to challenge for promotion.

However, suppose we were in the same position as 2 years ago - win the last game of the season for automatic promotion. I wouldn't swap that for an FA cup final. I look back on our FA cup final season and my opinion has never changed - we were good enough for a top 6 finish that season, even after a poor start. While it was great to make a cup final, it showed that we were capable as a team but the league showed we didn't have consistency. A week before that wonderful win at Middlesbrough, Darren Purse was planting 35 yard volleys past his own keeper!!

Quote Originally Posted by Eric the Half a Bee View Post
    If ever you wanted a season to have a cup run, this would be it, when we're unlikely to challenge for promotion.

However, suppose we were in the same position as 2 years ago - win the last game of the season for automatic promotion. I wouldn't swap that for an FA cup final. I look back on our FA cup final season and my opinion has never changed - we were good enough for a top 6 finish that season, even after a poor start. While it was great to make a cup final, it showed that we were capable as a team but the league showed we didn't have consistency. A week before that wonderful win at Middlesbrough, Darren Purse was planting 35 yard volleys past his own keeper!!
    Fair enough, although I would swap it. The FA Cup Final was possibly a once in a lifetime experience and the run up to the final was just epic. I found it much more exciting and memorable experience than our promotion two seasons ago tbh even though the outcome wasn't as good. Just my personal viewpoint, others will of course see it differently.

Quote Originally Posted by Eric the Half a Bee View Post
    That's exactly how I see it.
    Me too. He seemed like a man with a plan. I still think we would have stayed up with him and Moody involved. Moody made some great signings for Palace that Jaunary. I think they were 7 points behind at one point and ended up finish in 11th place.

Quote Originally Posted by The Hooded Claw View Post
    Away vs Fulham in the Premier League springs to mind.
    I wonder how different things might be now...
    Or any three games last season.