+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Thread: Hounding of Meghan Markel by British tabloid press is racist apparently

International

Re: Hounding of Meghan Markel by British tabloid press is racist apparently

My mother used the word uppity about people when iIwas a boy in a time when racist in my area was virtually unheard of, mainly perhaps because there were no immigrants or persons of a different colour and therefore no perceived threat.

Quote Originally Posted by SLUDGE FACTORY View Post
    No white people who are ok are allright in my book

Its ignorant fools I have disdain for , whatever their background

I like the music of Lauren hill but shes got a problem with white people that is definitely racist

It takes all sorts
    I can agree with that.

Heisenberg

Quote Originally Posted by William Treseder View Post
    They may be much stronger over there, but that’s because it simply doesn’t mean the same thing over here. What’s so difficult to understand about that?
    It’s a moot point. Grasping at straws reaches new levels on this board regularly.
    It's difficult to understand why you're being dense. The meaning of a word and the connotation of a word are two different things - it's basic English. Like I pointed out, the word monkey means the same on both side of the pond (like uppity does) - but does the word have other connotations when it's in reference to a black person? The answer is yes and it's the same for 'uppity'. I've tried to explain it as best as I can.

If there are British people that have never heard the word uppity as referring to a black person (as TOBW said, it was often followed by the word n***er or negro') and think that because of that it can't possibly be racist to call a black person 'uppity' then they're just being ignorant. Before you point out that it's the other part of that sentence that's the racist bit, not uppity... the term was in widespread use so just the word 'uppity' was commonplace as a racist epithet.

Let's not forget where Meghan Markle is from if you want to play the 'it doesn't mean the same thing here as it does there' game, shall we? If a few tw*ts on a CCMB messageboard know what the connotations of the word are... don't you think trained media-types, editors and producers would have a better grasp of the situation than us?

We're never going to agree on this so it's up to you if want to argue with yourself.

Quote Originally Posted by Heisenberg View Post
    It's difficult to understand why you're being dense. The meaning of a word and the connotation of a word are two different things - it's basic English. Like I pointed out, the word monkey means the same on both side of the pond (like uppity does) - but does the word have other connotations when it's in reference to a black person? The answer is yes and it's the same for 'uppity'. I've tried to explain it as best as I can.

If there are British people that have never heard the word uppity as referring to a black person (as TOBW said, it was often followed by the word n***er or negro') and think that because of that it can't possibly be racist to call a black person 'uppity' then they're just being ignorant. Before you point out that it's the other part of that sentence that's the racist bit, not uppity... the term was in widespread use so just the word 'uppity' was commonplace as a racist epithet.

Let's not forget where Meghan Markle is from if you want to play the 'it doesn't mean the same thing here as it does there' game, shall we? If a few tw*ts on a CCMB messageboard know what the connotations of the word are... don't you think trained media-types, editors and producers would have a better grasp of the situation than us?

We're never going to agree on this so it's up to you if want to argue with yourself.
    Point well-made sir.

It's like the word bollocks we all know what it means everywhere.

Best article I've read Trevor Phillip's is spot on .

https://mol.im/a/7900563

Quote Originally Posted by NYCBlue View Post
    I can agree with that.
    https://www.snopes.com/fact-check/th...f-lauryn-hill/

If you're both referring to this, it's not true.

Quote Originally Posted by life on mars View Post
    It's like the word bollocks we all know what it means everywhere.
    Make your mind up. You didn’t know the connotations of ‘Uppity’ yesterday.

Quote Originally Posted by J R Hartley View Post
    Make your mind up. You didn’t know the connotations of ‘Uppity’ yesterday.

I bet not many knew the connotations of uppity before this broke as a story it's all utter bollocks , Corbyn and Brexit are finished as a subject matter ,which has left a big gap in the woe is me need brigade so they seek another crusade to cling too.

It's interesting that words can gain negative connotations but rarely lose negative connotations.

For the record, I was uninformed about the connotations before this thread. Nothing wrong with learning and being able to show more respect to different cultures/communities.

Quote Originally Posted by Captain_Sensible View Post
    https://www.snopes.com/fact-check/th...f-lauryn-hill/

If you're both referring to this, it's not true.
    No, it's not that. She's made several statements over the years. And I know someone who worked with her. She's wrong, but I can see where she's coming from. For white people to hate races that they've colonized, used, and subjugated is hypocritical at best. At least African-Americans have a legitimate gripe.

Quote Originally Posted by J R Hartley View Post
    That’s just what I picture Heisenberg to look like 😂😂

Quote Originally Posted by Igovernor View Post
    The Queen is not racist but she guessed what was coming
    Maybe she was concerned for her; maybe she thought "don't do this, love, it's a very strange institution and the bastards won't even let you retire otherwise you might taint their weird, infantile sense of identity." Or perhaps she was as fed up as she always looks.

Quote Originally Posted by Igovernor View Post

Really? Based on a single photo?

Heisenberg

Quote Originally Posted by William Treseder View Post
    That’s just what I picture Heisenberg to look like 😂😂
    Nah, he's better looking.

This post makes me smile so pretentious.
    When we getting back to evil Boris /Trump axis and the persecution of the Labour party .

Quote Originally Posted by Wales-Bales View Post

"Ma'am, grown men are talking about me on a football message board"
    Didn't she divorce her first husband by text? I bet you could put together an interesting psychological profile for this lady, and there would be red flags all over the place.

Heisenberg

When we getting back to evil Boris /Trump axis and the persecution of the Labour party .
    I know mate. Can we also get back to different ethnicities not being British as well.

Quote Originally Posted by cyril evans awaydays View Post
    Didn't she divorce her first husband by text? I bet you could put together an interesting psychological profile for this lady, and there would be red flags all over the place.
    Absolutely, if you have any understanding about that sort of thing. I hope Harry doesn't regret burning his bridges.

Quote Originally Posted by Wales-Bales View Post
    Absolutely, if you have any understanding about that sort of thing. I hope Harry doesn't regret burning his bridges.
    Oops my mistake. Turns out there isn't a shred of evidence that she divorced her first husband by text. That'll teach me for reposting fake news like this from dubious and ill-informed sources.

Quote Originally Posted by SLUDGE FACTORY View Post
    That actor is a posh privileged white boy who doesn't even allow the mixed race woman to finish her question

He hasn't suffered racism from the police , media , jobs market etc that black and mixed race people have and for him to say , as a white man , that britain is one of the least racist and most welcoming countries in europe is laughable along with the white people clapping him in the audience ......how the feck would he and they know about racism or wether britain is welcoming ? It doesn't affect them for christ sake

As for pritti patel , the ultimate uncle tom , happy that her parents have made the uk their home and shes done ok , but now wants to shut the borders

Stupid tart
    Her behaviour is toxic. Throwing other PoCs under the bus to appease the right wing and further her own career.

https://inews.co.uk/opinion/the-powe...K68zwat_2J0tgs

I think you should create a thread. One that is lifted straight from the Daily Mail comments section.

You’re just the man for the job and I’m happy to give you the attention that you have been craving throughout this thread.