Quote Originally Posted by William Treseder View Post
They may be much stronger over there, but that’s because it simply doesn’t mean the same thing over here. What’s so difficult to understand about that?
It’s a moot point. Grasping at straws reaches new levels on this board regularly.
It's difficult to understand why you're being dense. The meaning of a word and the connotation of a word are two different things - it's basic English. Like I pointed out, the word monkey means the same on both side of the pond (like uppity does) - but does the word have other connotations when it's in reference to a black person? The answer is yes and it's the same for 'uppity'. I've tried to explain it as best as I can.

If there are British people that have never heard the word uppity as referring to a black person (as TOBW said, it was often followed by the word n***er or negro') and think that because of that it can't possibly be racist to call a black person 'uppity' then they're just being ignorant. Before you point out that it's the other part of that sentence that's the racist bit, not uppity... the term was in widespread use so just the word 'uppity' was commonplace as a racist epithet.

Let's not forget where Meghan Markle is from if you want to play the 'it doesn't mean the same thing here as it does there' game, shall we? If a few tw*ts on a CCMB messageboard know what the connotations of the word are... don't you think trained media-types, editors and producers would have a better grasp of the situation than us?

We're never going to agree on this so it's up to you if want to argue with yourself.