+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results

Thread: Hounding of Meghan Markel by British tabloid press is racist apparently

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Re: Hounding of Meghan Markel by British tabloid press is racist apparently

Quote Originally Posted by Gofer Blue View Post
    Did anyone watch Question Time last night? I wonder is anyone else getting tired of hearing people using the race card when they disagree with someone. Here is the clip from last night:

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/av/uk-511...sh-over-meghan

Like the actor guy, I am a white male although I would not classify myself as particularly priviliged other than being so grateful for good health in my advanced years! Whatever my feelings about Meghan Markel are, they have nothing whatsoever to do with her colour. I guess if I make only positive comments about her that's fine, but if I criticise her for anything then it must be because she is of mixed race. PC gone mad again.
    Just because you don't think are particularly privileged doesn't mean you haven't benefitted from white privilege. YOu don't have to be rich or racist to have advantages from it. FOr example, you are always surrounded by people who look just like you. You see yourself represented fairly in the media, TV, films, cartoons etc. You've probably never been turned down for a job just because of your name. It's easy to find toys, dolls, clothes etc that match your skin color. You've never been racially abused or had your ethnicity questioned. You also have the ability to dismiss racism as a non-factor.

Quote Originally Posted by NYCBlue View Post
    Just because you don't think are particularly privileged doesn't mean you haven't benefitted from white privilege. YOu don't have to be rich or racist to have advantages from it. FOr example, you are always surrounded by people who look just like you. You see yourself represented fairly in the media, TV, films, cartoons etc. You've probably never been turned down for a job just because of your name. It's easy to find toys, dolls, clothes etc that match your skin color. You've never been racially abused or had your ethnicity questioned. You also have the ability to dismiss racism as a non-factor.
    Its not 1955 FFS. You can get transgender dolls these days.

Quote Originally Posted by J R Hartley View Post
    Its not 1955 FFS. You can get transgender dolls these days.
    So no white privilege?

So no white privilege?
    Know him personally do you? How do you know what life hes had regardless of skin colour?

Know him personally do you? How do you know what life hes had regardless of skin colour?
    I know that if he's white, it's likely none of the things I mentioned have happened to him.

Before we get started, please just answer one question: Are you denying that there is such a thing as white privilege?

I know that if he's white, it's likely none of the things I mentioned have happened to him.

Before we get started, please just answer one question: Are you denying that there is such a thing as white privilege?
    "Before we get started" Its not Question Time ffs!!!!

You mention about TV, films, toys.etc its 2020. Ethnic minorities are well represented.

As for clothes to match the colour of their skin? WTF does that even mean?!?!?

"Before we get started" Its not Question Time ffs!!!!

You mention about TV, films, toys.etc its 2020. Ethnic minorities are well represented.

As for clothes to match the colour of their skin? WTF does that even mean?!?!?
    What color is “flesh colored”? What color are plasters? Ethnic minorities being represented in the media is not the same as being treated equally. Most people of color represented in films are there for a reason. A lot of films with an ensemble of black actors are considered “black films”. Have you ever heard of a white film?

This thread is about Meghan Markle. I didn't realise she had suffered all those things you mention.

This thread is about Meghan Markle. I didn't realise she had suffered all those things you mention.
    Actually the first paragraph in the thread is you complaining about people "playing the race card" - all those things he mentioned are the reasons why "the race card" as PC GONE MAD'ers like you like to call it, is actually a thing that exists

Quote Originally Posted by delmbox View Post
    Actually the first paragraph in the thread is you complaining about people "playing the race card" - all those things he mentioned are the reasons why "the race card" as PC GONE MAD'ers like you like to call it, is actually a thing that exists
    Sorry to play the cracked record, but this thread is about Meghan Markel. I do not deny that all those things listed are things which ordinary people of colour might suffer from. The lady in the audience claimed that criticism of Meghan Markel arises from racist thinking. The actor guy challenged that. I did not hear any evidence that racism was behind the hounding, only opinions. I do not read any of the tabloid newspapers so I may have missed it.

Sorry to play the cracked record, but this thread is about Meghan Markel. I do not deny that all those things listed are things which ordinary people of colour might suffer from. The lady in the audience claimed that criticism of Meghan Markel arises from racist thinking. The actor guy challenged that. I did not hear any evidence that racism was behind the hounding, only opinions. I do not read any of the tabloid newspapers so I may have missed it.
    No, you've changed it now to being specifically about Meghan Markle, whereas before you raised the point about her, and a more general point about, in your own words, in the very first paragraph of the thread :

"I wonder is anyone else getting tired of hearing people using the race card when they disagree with someone?"

It's been pointed out multiple times in this thread that there are very valid reasons for people "playing the race card" and it's not "PC gone mad" and you've now changed your tune to "I was only talking about Meghan Markle"

Quote Originally Posted by delmbox View Post
    No, you've changed it now to being specifically about Meghan Markle, whereas before you raised the point about her, and a more general point about, in your own words, in the very first paragraph of the thread :

"I wonder is anyone else getting tired of hearing people using the race card when they disagree with someone?"

It's been pointed out multiple times in this thread that there are very valid reasons for people "playing the race card" and it's not "PC gone mad" and you've now changed your tune to "I was only talking about Meghan Markle"
    For the umpteenth time - what is the title of this thread? Of course I was referring specifically to Meghan Markel!!!!!!!!! The "people" I am referring to was clearly the lady who was obviously getting quite angry when she spoke and was adamant that the abuse of Meghan Markel was racial. The actor guy disagreed with her so she then played the "but you are a priviliged white middle class bloke" card - might that not be considered a racist comment too?

For the umpteenth time - what is the title of this thread? Of course I was referring specifically to Meghan Markel!!!!!!!!! The "people" I am referring to was clearly the lady who was obviously getting quite angry when she spoke and was adamant that the abuse of Meghan Markel was racial. The actor guy disagreed with her so she then played the "but you are a priviliged white middle class bloke" card - might that not be considered a racist comment too?
    Do you understand what racism is?