+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Thread: Hounding of Meghan Markel by British tabloid press is racist apparently

Re: Hounding of Meghan Markel by British tabloid press is racist apparently

Quote Originally Posted by Captain_Sensible View Post
    It is ridiculous.

These days, if you say you're British, you'll be arrested and thrown in jail.
    Stewart Lee is a genius at winding people up.
    He is smugness personified...but clever and funny.

Heisenberg

Quote Originally Posted by William Treseder View Post
    It doesn’t mean that over here though. If you asked a random 1,000 people in towns and city’s up and down the UK to expand on the word “uppity”, I don’t think one person would say it was a racist term.
    Igoverner was giving us the definition of a word in order to say it doesn't mean something over here.

I could put up the definition of the Oxford dictionary definition of the word 'monkey' and say it isn't racist... But I think the majority of people would agree that if you called a black person that word then it would be racist due to it's connotations.

Uppity means the same in the US as it does here but the connotations of it being linked with racism are obviously much stronger over there.

Quote Originally Posted by J R Hartley View Post
    "Before we get started" Its not Question Time ffs!!!!

You mention about TV, films, toys.etc its 2020. Ethnic minorities are well represented.

As for clothes to match the colour of their skin? WTF does that even mean?!?!?
    What color is “flesh colored”? What color are plasters? Ethnic minorities being represented in the media is not the same as being treated equally. Most people of color represented in films are there for a reason. A lot of films with an ensemble of black actors are considered “black films”. Have you ever heard of a white film?

Thats not what NYC is saying at all.
    That is exactly what I’m saying.

Quote Originally Posted by NYCBlue View Post
    That is exactly what I’m saying.
    I think its best to let a bunch of white guys define racism and how it doesn't exist.

What color is “flesh colored”? What color are plasters? Ethnic minorities being represented in the media is not the same as being treated equally. Most people of color represented in films are there for a reason. A lot of films with an ensemble of black actors are considered “black films”. Have you ever heard of a white film?
    White Chicks
    White Men Can’t Jump

White Chicks
    White Men Can’t Jump
    Films with white in the title?

Quote Originally Posted by Croesy Blue View Post
    Are you serious? Uppity has a long history of being used as in a racist way. There is a long history of this.
    Wow I genuinely didn't know that .

Do you think when people use it that they know it's an old racist historic reference.

I thought it described folk who were a bit self important ,but arrogant??

I've used it many times never knowing it a well known racist term .

I used to have a posh aunt who was short in reply to folk , had very little patience, and she was referred to as a bit uppity .

Tell you what , there's somd well read folk on this board ,forget university , just subscribe to CCMB .

Quote Originally Posted by Heisenberg View Post
    Starting threads like this and the one about Stormzy, then constantly trying to defend the fact that you're not racist and institutions in this country aren't racist, claiming that it's just people disagreeing with the opposite standpoint and playing the race card... That makes you look racially insensitive at the very least.

None of us know if you're racist or not, but you're not helping yourself with the messages you're sending on here.
    I think hes crying wolf a bit too much

Quote Originally Posted by Wash DC Blue View Post
    White privilege really helped the young girls in Telford, Rochdale, Rotherham, Oxford, Newcastle etc.

White, working class boys have been left behind in educational terms for eons and
    affirmative action has been in place for a long time.

Identity politics and those championing intersectionalism is what is toxic and what will continue pushing people to the right socially.

Also calling Pritti Patel an “Uncle Tom” is abhorrent.
    I guess that Thomas Sowell is a “House Negro” because he has the audacity to hold libertarian views?
    Shes a right uncle tom , daughter of immigrants , well educated , gets a good job , gets a tory mp place , now shes a right wing anti european anti immigrant pro capital punishment goose stepping swivel eyed loon

Quote Originally Posted by William Treseder View Post
    Unless they are fat or ginger, or plug ugly, or have a deformity. Then they are ridiculed in their own way.
    Is there anyone your not offended on behalf of?
    Has it come to the point where a white person living in the UK has got to be embarrassed and apologetic for just being who they are, and can’t be seen to have opinions on certain topics.?
    No white people who are ok are allright in my book

Its ignorant fools I have disdain for , whatever their background

I like the music of Lauren hill but shes got a problem with white people that is definitely racist

It takes all sorts

Quote Originally Posted by OurManFlint II View Post
    I think its best to let a bunch of white guys define racism and how it doesn't exist.
    I think so , nobody knows more about racism than white football fans

They face extreme racism on a daily basis

Quote Originally Posted by SLUDGE FACTORY View Post
    I think so , nobody knows more about racism than white football fans

They face extreme racism on a daily basis
    complete and utter rubbish you sheep shagger

Films with white in the title?
    Men in White
    Men in Black

Quote Originally Posted by SLUDGE FACTORY View Post
    Shes a right uncle tom , daughter of immigrants , well educated , gets a good job , gets a tory mp place , now shes a right wing anti european anti immigrant pro capital punishment goose stepping swivel eyed loon

An assertion that a person of colour should be a certain way, think a certain way and adhere to stereotypes or they are an Uncle Tom....is racist.

Quote Originally Posted by OurManFlint II View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by ToTaL ITK View Post
    complete and utter rubbish you sheep shagger
    I am reporting you to your boss

Starting threads like this and the one about Stormzy, then constantly trying to defend the fact that you're not racist and institutions in this country aren't racist, claiming that it's just people disagreeing with the opposite standpoint and playing the race card... That makes you look racially insensitive at the very least.

None of us know if you're racist or not, but you're not helping yourself with the messages you're sending on here.
    Is it racist to say I don't like that Stormzy fella he is awfully loud ,and his music makes my nose bleed as well.

Much prefer a bit of Max Bygraves, and a Bourbon Biscuit dipped into my tea.

Heisenberg

Quote Originally Posted by life on mars View Post
    Is it racist to say I don't like that Stormzy fella he is awfully loud ,and his music makes my nose bleed as well.

Much prefer a bit of Max Bygraves, and a Bourbon Biscuit dipped into my tea.
    Obviously not... saying sarcastic things like that don't help the conversation either.

If you want to know what racism is... It was racist of you to to define "ethnic people" as not being "natural born UK citizens".

Maybe you can think about that while you're having your tea and biscuits.

Quote Originally Posted by Wash DC Blue View Post
    An assertion that a person of colour should be a certain way, think a certain way and adhere to stereotypes or they are an Uncle Tom....is racist.
    I beg to differ

Quote Originally Posted by Croesy Blue View Post
    Camilla didn't get anything like this.

Camilla and Charles faced a helluva lot of bad press when they got together, which is understandable given Diana's popularity. However they rose above it, didn't answer their detractors and just got on with it. As a result she is now a far more popular addition to the royal family than was deemed possible when they first got married.

I have started many threads on this MB (32 according to the search function), usually initiated because I cannot believe what I am reading in the press or hearing on TV/radio.

Several times I have used the phrase "I don't believe it" after one of my favourite fictional characters, Victor Meldrew. It just so happens that in the two threads you mention here the people involved are people of colour but the comments I made were nothing to do with their colour as you well know but choose to ignore. In the case of Stormzy, I dislike rap, don't consider it to be music, and was surprised to see that he was lauded the way he was at Glastonbury. If he were white then my opinions would have been exactly the same! I won't repeat myself here about Meghan Markel, as it has all been said - you are free to have your opinion of my thoughts as I have of yours.

My posts are usually connected to Political Correctness, the absurdities of life or situations akin to the story of the Emperors New Clothes. Some recent examples are the Chris Brown’s clothes sale, the lack of a “Do not lean out of the carriage window” sign to blame for railway worker’s death, road tax evasion after scrapping the old tax disc system jumps to £100 million (surprise, surprise), and woman shoots boyfriend to increase their social media following.

My other favourite “I don’t believe it” moments include: people who complain about the cost of replica football shirts (don’t buy them then), the cost of beer at the CCS (don’t buy it then), people who spend £100+ to have the latest trainers, and people who spend thousands on curved screen TVs where you can’t see the picture unless you sit within a certain narrow arc!

Quote Originally Posted by Gofer Blue View Post
    This thread is about Meghan Markle. I didn't realise she had suffered all those things you mention.
    Actually the first paragraph in the thread is you complaining about people "playing the race card" - all those things he mentioned are the reasons why "the race card" as PC GONE MAD'ers like you like to call it, is actually a thing that exists

Why not? As Lardy said its a lot do with personality. Besides, to look at Meghan you couldnt even tell she has black heritage.
    After 2 attempts you still didn't answer my question.

It’s amazing how the thoughts of an OP can become twisted by others as a thread progresses. Also it is noticeable that people who reply often ignore certain posts by the OP because they do not fit with their ideology.

The title of this thread is: Hounding of Meghan Markel by British tabloid press is racist apparently.

Let us recap:
    There was a lady in the QT audience last night who made the statement to this effect, not me. It turns out she is a university lecturer and a race and ethnicity researcher according to the BBC news website. This was her opinion, which obviously differed from the actor guy on the panel.

What no-one has mentioned yet in this thread is that there was a black lady in the audience and she said in her opinion, the treatment of Meghan Markel was not racist.
    Is this a classic case of someone being offended on behalf of someone else?

Let me repeat my statements:

Whatever my feelings about Meghan Markel are, they have nothing whatsoever to do with her colour. So if I make only positive comments about her that's fine? But if I criticise her for anything then it must be because she is of mixed race?
    This thread is specifically about Meghan Markel not people of colour in general. So compared to her, am I privileged, yes or no?
    I have no opinion one way or the other about Harry and Meghan. I have no problem with whatever colour she is. All we can do as outsiders is simply look at her character and behaviour. If I say Meghan is behaving like a petulant teenager, is that ok or is that racist then? If I say good luck to her, let her make her own life with Harry, is that ok or is that racist?