Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Thread: Hounding of Meghan Markel by British tabloid press is racist apparently

Re: Hounding of Meghan Markel by British tabloid press is racist apparently

Quote Originally Posted by William Treseder View Post
    The latest “Buzz” term.
    Do you not think it exists?

Quote Originally Posted by OurManFlint II View Post
    You are more privileged than black folk in all areas of health, employment, police harassment, life expectancy, education, prison, crime and all round living standards in the UK. You are in comparison privileged.
    This thread is about Meghan Markle. Compared to her, am I privileged?

Quote Originally Posted by NYCBlue View Post
    Just because you don't think are particularly privileged doesn't mean you haven't benefitted from white privilege. YOu don't have to be rich or racist to have advantages from it. FOr example, you are always surrounded by people who look just like you. You see yourself represented fairly in the media, TV, films, cartoons etc. You've probably never been turned down for a job just because of your name. It's easy to find toys, dolls, clothes etc that match your skin color. You've never been racially abused or had your ethnicity questioned. You also have the ability to dismiss racism as a non-factor.
    This thread is about Meghan Markle. I didn't realise she had suffered all those things you mention.

Quote Originally Posted by Croesy Blue View Post
    The term is a complex one and academics cannot even agree on its exact meaning. Even on this thread there are people using the term differently.

Not in the way you and others in this thread are making out.
    The majority of White people in the UK are welcoming to all folk of ethnic backgrounds, and the UK on the whole is a fair minded and welcoming place to live for all foreigners.
    Do you think there is such a thing as “ Black privilege in certain countries?
    I think Meghan is getting it tight , from mostly royalists who are blaming her for splintering the family, not because of the colour of her skin.
    The majority of folk over here, me included couldn’t give a flying **** what her and Harry do.
    The likes of you and Sludge, confuse how scummy the media can be (bugging a WHITE murdered girls phone for instance, hounding Megan Markel etc etc) with the way the rest of us conduct ourselves.

White privilege really helped the young girls in Telford, Rochdale, Rotherham, Oxford, Newcastle etc.

White, working class boys have been left behind in educational terms for eons and
    affirmative action has been in place for a long time.

Identity politics and those championing intersectionalism is what is toxic and what will continue pushing people to the right socially.

Also calling Pritti Patel an “Uncle Tom” is abhorrent.
    I guess that Thomas Sowell is a “House Negro” because he has the audacity to hold libertarian views?

Yep a white person with the exact same qualifications as a black person is still two thirds more likely to get a job in the uk.
    Unless the employer is the BBC, of course

I have no opinion one way or the other about Harry and Meghan. I have no problem with whatever colour she is (contrary to the opinions of the usual suspects on this MB), all we can do as outsiders is simply look at her character and behaviour. If I say Meghan is behaving like a petulant teenager, is that racist then? If I say good luck to her, let her make her own life, is that ok or is that racist?

It seems because I am a geriatric white male that automatically points to me being a racist. I presume no-one on this MB knows me personally because if they did, they would know that this is absolutely not the case.

Quote Originally Posted by Wash DC Blue View Post
    White privilege really helped the young girls in Telford, Rochdale, Rotherham, Oxford, Newcastle etc.

White, working class boys have been left behind in educational terms for eons and
    affirmative action has been in place for a long time.

Identity politics and those championing intersectionalism is what is toxic and what will continue pushing people to the right socially.

Also calling Pritti Patel an “Uncle Tom” is abhorrent.
    I guess that Thomas Sowell is a “House Negro” because he has the audacity to hold libertarian views?
    No one is saying they haven't had it hard though.

Well, we can get clothes to match the colour of skin, what else do we want?

So why is white privilege now a thing?

This is one of several pejorative tropes that have become synonymous with folk to show just how woke they are.

It’s devisive and dangerous IMO.

Quote Originally Posted by Wash DC Blue View Post
    So why is white privilege now a thing?

This is one of several pejorative tropes that have become synonymous with folk to show just how woke they are.

It’s devisive and dangerous IMO.
    Because a black person in the exact same position would probably have it even worse because of the prejudice they face in every day life.

No one is saying white people are privilidged and have an easy life just that in western society it's even more difficult as a black person.

its only racist, for those who are desperate for it to be racist ,how calling someone 'uppity' is racist is beyond me.

Quote Originally Posted by life on mars View Post
    its only racist, for those who are desperate for it to be racist ,how calling someone 'uppity' is racist is beyond me.
    Are you serious? Uppity has a long history of being used as in a racist way. There is a long history of this.

Because a black person in the exact same position would probably have it even worse because of the prejudice they face in every day life.

No one is saying white people are privilidged and have an easy life just that in western society it's even more difficult as a black person.
    Thats not what NYC is saying at all.

Are you serious? Uppity has a long history of being used as in a racist way. There is a long history of this.
    A long history amongst a section of Americans some 100 years ago. Uppity in Britain means to be self important. Theres never been a racist connotation in the word in this country. Its more often than not used on white people in this country.

Heisenberg

Quote Originally Posted by Gofer Blue View Post
    I have no opinion one way or the other about Harry and Meghan. I have no problem with whatever colour she is (contrary to the opinions of the usual suspects on this MB), all we can do as outsiders is simply look at her character and behaviour. If I say Meghan is behaving like a petulant teenager, is that racist then? If I say good luck to her, let her make her own life, is that ok or is that racist?

It seems because I am a geriatric white male that automatically points to me being a racist. I presume no-one on this MB knows me personally because if they did, they would know that this is absolutely not the case.
    Starting threads like this and the one about Stormzy, then constantly trying to defend the fact that you're not racist and institutions in this country aren't racist, claiming that it's just people disagreeing with the opposite standpoint and playing the race card... That makes you look racially insensitive at the very least.

None of us know if you're racist or not, but you're not helping yourself with the messages you're sending on here.

Quote Originally Posted by J R Hartley View Post
    A long history amongst a section of Americans some 100 years ago. Uppity in Britain means to be self important. Theres never been a racist connotation in the word in this country. Its more often than not used on white people in this country.
    That doesn't mean it can't have racist connotations when used outside america though, does it?

That doesn't mean it can't have racist connotations when used outside america though, does it?
    By the same token it doesnt automatically mean its racist when its used on someone in a country where it means something else.

Quote Originally Posted by life on mars View Post
    It's only last week that you were using natural UK born as a synonym for white.

In before the delete
    Q++

Quote Originally Posted by J R Hartley View Post
    Got agree here, I have been called uppity all my life, I have a huge failing I am arrogant (Uppity) and I do know it.
    In this country it means just that. Every uk dictionary says the same if Croesy want's to start using meanings used in america 100 years ago perhaps he should start with calling trousers pants. Different countries different meanings!

https://dictionary.cambridge.org/dic...english/uppity

It is ridiculous.

These days, if you say you're British, you'll be arrested and thrown in jail.

Heisenberg

Quote Originally Posted by Igovernor View Post
    Got agree here, I have been called uppity all my life, I have a huge failing I am arrogant (Uppity) and I do know it.
    In this country it means just that. Every uk dictionary says the same if Croesy want's to start using meanings used in america 100 years ago perhaps he should start with calling trousers pants. Different countries different meanings!

https://dictionary.cambridge.org/dic...english/uppity
    Uppity: An uppity person behaves in an unpleasant way because they think that they are more important than they really are.

Not sure what you're point is as it's obvious what the definition of the word is. The point being made by croesy is that it was used (and is still used to this day) against black people who didn't "know their place" in society and shouldn't act a certain way... Like they're second class citizens. So it's the connotations of the word that's important here.

https://www.dictionary.com/browse/connotation

Quote Originally Posted by Heisenberg View Post
    Uppity: An uppity person behaves in an unpleasant way because they think that they are more important than they really are.

Not sure what you're point is as it's obvious what the definition of the word is. The point being made by croesy is that it was used (and is still used to this day) against black people who didn't "know their place" in society and shouldn't act a certain way... Like they're second class citizens. So it's the connotations of the word that's important here.

https://www.dictionary.com/browse/connotation
    It doesn’t mean that over here though. If you asked a random 1,000 people in towns and city’s up and down the UK to expand on the word “uppity”, I don’t think one person would say it was a racist term.