+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results

Thread: Tower block housing in british cities

Tower block housing in british cities

Glasgow and birmingham have got to have the most outside london

Fair few in manchester

Hardly any in cardiff considering the size , butetown , one in Ely, three in gabalfa , one in grangetown and two on the holly Bush estate near coryton

Even little old swansea has more high rise housing than cardiff

Not very interesting but I am bored now

Re: Tower block housing in british cities

As of July last year there were 2,107 council owned tower blocks (10 storeys or above) in the UK.

Not sure how many private or Housing Association tower blocks - but probably at least the same again.

Of the council blocks, 112 had a sprinkler system fitted - almost certainly a higher % than for non-council blocks - 10 years after the Lakanal House fire that killed 6 people and the lessons of which were ignored by the coalition government of 2010 (sacrificed to 'austerity'), and led directly to Grenfell.

Quote Originally Posted by SLUDGE FACTORY View Post

Fair few in manchester

Hardly any in cardiff considering the size , butetown , one in Ely, three in gabalfa , one in grangetown and two on the holly Bush estate near coryton

We are lucky here, places that got bombed more seem to have more 50’s/60’s tower blocks or that era housing. It generally looks terrible.

Fair few in manchester

Llanedeyrn has one or two

My thoughts were that there should be tower blocks specifically for OAPs. Similar principle to care homes.

They need car spaces less, and blocks could be integrated with more communal spaces, better security and medical facilities making visits easier.

Effectively I just want to put old people’s homes on a bigger scale to reduce costs and it helping tackle loneliness

Fair few in manchester

Beech house and Oak house, top of Whitchurch, Maelfa flats, llanedeyrn, Lydstep flats x 3 Gabalfa, 1 block down Channel View, 2 blocks down the docks. I make it 9 blocks.

Quote Originally Posted by WJ99mobile View Post
    My thoughts were that there should be tower blocks specifically for OAPs. Similar principle to care homes.

They need car spaces less, and blocks could be integrated with more communal spaces, better security and medical facilities making visits easier.

Effectively I just want to put old people’s homes on a bigger scale to reduce costs and it helping tackle loneliness
    And when the lift is broke as is often the case how are these old people meant to climb 15 flights of stairs?

Quote Originally Posted by J R Hartley View Post
    And when the lift is broke as is often the case how are these old people meant to climb 15 flights of stairs?
    exactly the poster is obviousaly fit enough to live in a tower block and not considering anything else but his own needs

Have more lifts

Have more lifts
    What about during a fire or even just the alarm going off. I wouldn't like to be behind Doris trying to get out.

International

I think if the lift was in an old peoples residence with a security door the chances of the lift(s) being broken would be far less than in a place like Lauden square

Are you even allowed to use the lift in a fire ?
    Here in sweden its not allowed.
    Looking at maelfa, it looks about 9 stories high. I was recently in Bangkok they had some insanely high apartment buildings.Wonder how they manage.

Pensioners are a core Tory voting block, they'd make sure their lifts work..

International

Quote Originally Posted by City123 View Post
    Pensioners are a core Tory voting block, they'd make sure their lifts work..
    Making everything political again. it gets so very boring!!!!

When they built all the tower blocks in London to replace the “slums”, similar declarations were made about them becoming more community focussed, but the opposite was the case.
    You can’t just scale up accommodation such as this - it’s not like making widgets.