+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Can Anyone Tell Me What Harris Is Doing?

Can Anyone Tell Me What Harris Is Doing?

It's a serious question, no facetious undertones. This is what i'm seeing so far; Periods of whacking the ball long, over the head of our most creative player (Tomlin) and straight back to the opposition. All of our players taking way to many touches on the ball which slows everything down and allows the opposition to reset. Incredibly slow build up play which generally results in the ball going long as there is zero option. Then, for very small portions of the game we'll press a bit higher and move the ball quicker, then it'll stop. I haven't the first idea what he's attempting to do. In general it's poor, although by now we should be able to see what he's attempting to implement. I'm not to sure that he knows himself.

Re: Can Anyone Tell Me What Harris Is Doing?

Quote Originally Posted by Tuerto View Post
    It's a serious question, no facetious undertones. This is what i'm seeing so far; Periods of whacking the ball long, over the head of our most creative player (Tomlin) and straight back to the opposition. All of our players taking way to many touches on the ball which slows everything down and allows the opposition to reset. Incredibly slow build up play which generally results in the ball going long as there is zero option. Then, for very small portions of the game we'll press a bit higher and move the ball quicker, then it'll stop. I haven't the first idea what he's attempting to do. In general it's poor, although by now we should be able to see what he's attempting to implement. I'm not to sure that he knows himself.
    Maybe it's a team transitioning from one style of play to another so shows a lack of consistency with any one style

Quote Originally Posted by delmbox View Post
    Maybe it's a team transitioning from one style of play to another so shows a lack of consistency with any one style
    I'd hope it was that. somehow i don't think it is. I'm having concerns over Harris and his ability to set a team up and implement some kind of structure. It's almost like the players sort of do what they want for periods in a game.

I'd hope it was that. somehow i don't think it is. I'm having concerns over Harris and his ability to set a team up and implement some kind of structure. It's almost like the players sort of do what they want for periods in a game.
    I'm just hoping that with a preseason he can have them playing to a recognizable style

Our style is getting it in the mixer. Whether people like it or not, it works.

He tries something else til we’re losing, then reverts to what works

I don't think he's picked the same formation twice.

This is exactly it.

They are playing a terrible tactic but at points in the game they feel they need to play more naturally to achieve what their position demands, then we score and revert back to the tactic.

He's walked into an already failing unit.

Quote Originally Posted by EastbourneBlue View Post

Neil Harris' post-match comments say much the same:

Cardiff City manager Neil Harris told BBC Sport Wales:

"First half, got to be honest, we were not very good, we were poor with the ball.

"We said at half time, let's simplify the plan and do what the conditions dictated.

"We went a bit more direct and in the second half it was everything our fans want to see, a team who have a right go.

"We played in the right areas and looked a real threat, if the referee does his job properly we probably win the game. I felt it was definitely a penalty on Lee Tomlin.

"I thought at the time it was a stonewall penalty."

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/51072961

Quote Originally Posted by EastbourneBlue View Post

I don't agree, when we're losing he starts pressing a bit higher and the tempo becomes a bit quicker, it's still error strewn and clumpy but a bit better than the morrison long ball, midfielders taking to many touches and knocking the ball backwards approach that seems to be the tactics at 0-0.

Quote Originally Posted by jon1959 View Post
    Neil Harris' post-match comments say much the same:

Cardiff City manager Neil Harris told BBC Sport Wales:

"First half, got to be honest, we were not very good, we were poor with the ball.

"We said at half time, let's simplify the plan and do what the conditions dictated.

"We went a bit more direct and in the second half it was everything our fans want to see, a team who have a right go.

"We played in the right areas and looked a real threat, if the referee does his job properly we probably win the game. I felt it was definitely a penalty on Lee Tomlin.

"I thought at the time it was a stonewall penalty."

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/51072961
    **** me, he's talking for the fans now, what a 'get out' Just because he can't get the players to play, he pretends that he changed the style to appease the supporters. ****ing Warnock Mark 2.

Lets see where we are after the summer window.

Quote Originally Posted by Hilts View Post
    Exactly. Take away a couple of 90+ minute goals earlier in the season and we'd have been a lot closer to relegation places by time Warnock left, we're now transitioning into something more sustainable in the middle of the season without being able to bring in new faces. All we can say is Harris is getting better results than Warnock was this year.

Fine but if he is unsure what is wrong with a couple of loans.?
    There are plenty of good young players in the Premiership.
    We should be trying to convince them that first team championship football until the end of the season would be a benefit for both parties.
    By the summer Harris should be clear what/who we should be looking for

Quote Originally Posted by surge View Post
    Exactly. Take away a couple of 90+ minute goals earlier in the season and we'd have been a lot closer to relegation places by time Warnock left, we're now transitioning into something more sustainable in the middle of the season without being able to bring in new faces. All we can say is Harris is getting better results than Warnock was this year.
    I'm more concerned about performance and players developing. I don't see either. People go on about results, but without players improving and the performance having some structure and fluidity then things wont really get better, or if they do it'll be short term.

**** me, he's talking for the fans now, what a 'get out' Just because he can't get the players to play, he pretends that he changed the style to appease the supporters. ****ing Warnock Mark 2.
    He said he changed it because that’s what the conditions dictated.

You say yourself the players themselves take too many touches, anyone who watches us could tell you that, so until we can get players in important positions who don’t need so many touches then I’m sure we will all, Harris included, continue to be frustrated.

Blakey on the radio said we had the full backs pushed forward, some nice play by Nelson, Morrison and Pack to create space for Morrison to step forward, which he does, but then instead of using the full backs he smashes the ball over Tomlins head. I can’t believe for one second that’s what Harris wants him to do if the fullbacks are pushed forward.

Quote Originally Posted by DubaiDai View Post
    Fine but if he is unsure what is wrong with a couple of loans.?
    There are plenty of good young players in the Premiership.
    We should be trying to convince them that first team championship football until the end of the season would be a benefit for both parties.
    By the summer Harris should be clear what/who we should be looking for
    What benefit is loaning young PL players??.

Seriously the only point is to get promotion. Otherwise its all momey wasted. Like the Jacks.

Quote Originally Posted by delmbox View Post
    I thought that at first. I'm beginning to have doubts now. I don't think I trust him. I never thought I would say this, but I think we need a year of Russell Slade. This squad needs to be decimated.

I'm more concerned about performance and players developing. I don't see either. People go on about results, but without players improving and the performance having some structure and fluidity then things wont really get better, or if they do it'll be short term.
    We've seen flashes, for example second goal against Sheffield Wednesday a couple of weeks ago, but development of individuals or performance has not been obvious. Improvements were always going to be a slow process and seen, if Harris is capable of bringing them about, in last two months of season/though summer. Until then we have a very expensive midtable squad and a slightly more complex impression of Neil Warnock's legacy here.

What benefit is loaning young PL players??.

Seriously the only point is to get promotion. Otherwise its all momey wasted. Like the Jacks.
    Harris probably needs more time to go for the right players. Summer period is notoriously better for signings than January.
    We have shipped a few players off the wage bill so I am sure we are making financial room.

The conditions? Was it windy or was the pitch boggy? I could understand this statement if it was 15-20 years ago, most pitches are fantastic now. He could get the players playing quicker in my opinion, it's down to him that players aren't allowed to carry the ball from midfield or allow the opposition to worry about them rather than the other way round. He's very conservative, another manager who believes in playing in the final third, although sometimes we do try and play for small parts of the game and the movement isn't there. He obviously thinks that the players aren't up to it, i disagree, i think that he could try and implement a more progressive style. He just isn't about that.

The conditions? Was it windy or was the pitch boggy? I could understand this statement if it was 15-20 years ago, most pitches are fantastic now. He could get the players playing quicker in my opinion, it's down to him that players aren't allowed to carry the ball from midfield or allow the opposition to worry about them rather than the other way round. He's very conservative, another manager who believes in playing in the final third, although sometimes we do try and play for small parts of the game and the movement isn't there. He obviously thinks that the players aren't up to it, i disagree, i think that he could try and implement a more progressive style. He just isn't about that.
    Pitch was bobbly

https://www.skysports.com/watch/vide...am-1-1-cardiff

I was wondering that.

Did the conditions change dramatically during the course of the game or did he mean ‘situation’? 🤷*♂️

Disagree. We haven’t got the centre half’s to bring the ball out and haven’t got the central midfielders to set the tone.

Quote Originally Posted by J R Hartley View Post
    Disagree. We haven’t got the centre half’s to bring the ball out and haven’t got the central midfielders to set the tone.
    I think that we could start by rolling the ball into midfield occasionally and trying to build quickly, it doesn't have to be a polar transition, i think that the players we have could cope with that from time to time. The biggest problem we have is options for players who are on the ball, there aren't any. Harris has to be brave on occasion and allow players a bit of freedom to create space in order to play through the lines. He doesn't want to know, and i can't see that changind even when he has had a couple of windows. I don't think he's up to it, time will tell, but if he was looking at a different style and approach then he'd be experimenting with it now a little.

The way we talk sometimes is like the players we have don't possess enough ability to hold onto the ball, Harris is pushing that line in order to suit his own footballing beliefs in my opinion.