+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results

Thread: 1917

is the dogs bollox. Superb cinematography, great suspense.

Re: 1917

Agreed.

Amazing the way it was shot as if it was a single take.

This will surely win best picture at the Oscars. That tripwire moment had me jumping out of my skin..

It really is superb and I would highly advise watching it the Cinema as it such an immersing film that I feel wouldn't work as well on a tv at home.

And I jumped too with trip wire. Not often a film makes me jump.

Thrilling maybe.

Storyline was unoriginal.

Another film by a dude about dudes fighting other dudes ... a long time ago.

If it gets awards, it’ll say more about how stagnant mainstream film has become than about the merits of this piece of work.

Quote Originally Posted by Divine Wright View Post
    Thrilling maybe.

If it gets awards, it’ll say more about how stagnant mainstream film has become than about the merits of this piece of work.
    I thought it was a true story

Quote Originally Posted by walinoz View Post
    "based on" a true story, I believe.

Quote Originally Posted by walinoz View Post
    I think it is based on the stories told to Sam Mendes by his grandfather.

Even so, It was very similar to the likes of Saving Private Ryan and Gallipoli.

I dunno, I'm trying to be a bit more conscious of my feelings towards feminism and these types of film, along with the likes of Once Upon a Time in HW and The Irishman are a bit too "establishment" and patriarchal, more in terms of content than the gender of the directors themselves. I realise they are probably aimed towards middle aged guys, but for these to be considered the pinnacle of creative expression , I find a bit much.

The film itself is visceral enough, but is a bit tepid in most other ways.

Saving private Ryan meets Medal of honor,very well produced.

Saw it last night, stunning. The single shot style worked superbly with it. Gripping stuff.

Has anyone seen "Parasite"? Supposed to be very good.

[QUOTE=Divine Wright;5039943]Thrilling maybe.

If it gets awards, it’ll say more about how stagnant mainstream film has become than about the merits of this piece of work.[/QUOTE

Historically incorrect on several accounts also, but hype triumphs over accuracy in the end..

[QUOTE=A Quiet Monkfish;5040163]
    Quote Originally Posted by Divine Wright View Post
    Thrilling maybe.

If it gets awards, it’ll say more about how stagnant mainstream film has become than about the merits of this piece of work.[/QUOTE

Historically incorrect on several accounts also, but hype triumphs over accuracy in the end..
    Village mentioned wasn’t part of hindenburg line? Devons weren’t posted there?

Quote Originally Posted by NYCBlue View Post
    Quirky. Probably worth a watch. Friend said he thought it was a bit straightforward to have won in Cannes.

[QUOTE=Divine Wright;5040243]
    Quote Originally Posted by A Quiet Monkfish View Post

Village mentioned wasn’t part of hindenburg line? Devons weren’t posted there?
    Yes, these, amongst other 'errors', intentional or otherwise..

Grange Hill style of acting.

Very very good film. I posted this under film 20 thread.

Cinematography, one shot filming, the sets and costumes were absolutely phenomenal. Everything else was poor.

Quote Originally Posted by Mr Shhh View Post
    Cinematography, one shot filming, the sets and costumes were absolutely phenomenal. Everything else was poor.
    Apart from ludicrous team selection opinions, the only other guaranteed thing about this message board is the inevitable criticism from bores about popular elements of music and the arts.

Quote Originally Posted by Dave Blue View Post
    Apart from ludicrous team selection opinions, the only other guaranteed thing about this message board is the inevitable criticism from bores about popular elements of music and the arts.
    ...or an inability by some to argue a point in a civil manner, reverting instead to personal attacks.

In case you are interested there is a 1080p screener version of this knocking round in all the usual dodgy places and it is a mint copy if you wanting to watch it. I would still say it is better to see it on the big screen though.

Thought it was a really good film but I did struggle with the fact one of the soldiers sounded like James Corden and I can't stand the twat

I thought it was superb

Quote Originally Posted by thehumblegringo View Post
    Thought it was a really good film but I did struggle with the fact one of the soldiers sounded like James Corden and I can't stand the twat
    Yes!

I enjoyed the film but think I'll struggle to remember in 10 years time. I'm glad I saw it in the cinema though.

The last film I saw in the cinema was Dunkirk. That was superb.