+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results

Thread: Will Vaulks

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Re: Will Vaulks

Quote Originally Posted by the other bob wilson View Post
    To be fair, that's the feeling I usually have after watching the Under 23s.
    I've only watched highlights so probably not best qualified to have an opinion, but i'm going to have one anyway. From what i've seen these U23 games look like an exhibition, slow and not very competitive. Some of the players look technically sound, although it seems that they allow eachover the time and space to look good , which doesn't happen at first team level. They need to bring back real competitive reserve team football where if you did well you had a real chance of stepping up into the first team, An environment that pitted 17 year olds against 30 year olds, trialists, has beens and never beens and established good players coming back from injury as well as the odd player who was demanding a transfer. There would be scouts at these games and a real prospect of a move or loan, and it was very competitive.

Quote Originally Posted by Tuerto View Post
    I've only watched highlights so probably not best qualified to have an opinion, but i'm going to have one anyway. From what i've seen these U23 games look like an exhibition, slow and not very competitive. Some of the players look technically sound, although it seems that they allow eachover the time and space to look good , which doesn't happen at first team level. They need to bring back real competitive reserve team football where if you did well you had a real chance of stepping up into the first team, An environment that pitted 17 year olds against 30 year olds, trialists, has beens and never beens and established good players coming back from injury as well as the odd player who was demanding a transfer. There would be scouts at these games and a real prospect of a move or loan, and it was very competitive.
    I'm still not entirely sure why the authorities persist with the U23 or who it benefits and agree the old reserve fixtures should return, although with 18 man squads going to first team games and the amount of fixtures at that level we'd probably see a U23esque team turn out for the 2nds anyway. The old format was occasionally something of a shambles with teams not being able to fulfil fixtures and some clubs foregoing a reserve team in some years. (I think I'm remembering that right).

For all that, I don't think the system is an excuse for our lack of 1st team local talent in the last ten years. Bellamy reckoned there were capable players so why the consistent failure?

Quote Originally Posted by Bluebirdman Of Alcathays View Post
    I'm still not entirely sure why the authorities persist with the U23 or who it benefits and agree the old reserve fixtures should return, although with 18 man squads going to first team games and the amount of fixtures at that level we'd probably see a U23esque team turn out for the 2nds anyway. The old format was occasionally something of a shambles with teams not being able to fulfil fixtures and some clubs foregoing a reserve team in some years. (I think I'm remembering that right).

For all that, I don't think the system is an excuse for our lack of 1st team local talent in the last ten years. Bellamy reckoned there were capable players so why the consistent failure?
    When a young footballer gets to 17 or 18 and they're showing promise then they need competitive football against players that know all of the tricks, the stuff that can't be taught. They may not even be very good, although they'll be wise if they've carved out a pro career on not much ability. That's where people learn in every aspect of the workplace, it's not exclusive to footballers. These U23 games are against lads who are give or take at the same level developmentally, how can that be good for them? I don't know what the answer is and i don't know if established footballers would fancy a reserve game against Bristol City on a wednesday evening anymore, although the players who aren't getting a look in don't play competitive football anymore. If reserve team football was a real pathway to the first team (which it used to be)then surely that would benefit everyone? The u23 set up is a joke, they're glorified youth team matches.

Quote Originally Posted by Bluebirdman Of Alcathays View Post

I can understand why some would be surprised by my comment, but yOu and Tuerto get the point .Under 23 football is something that I feel Neil Warnock is right about - it's a waste of time. The authorities have cocked things up by, first, introducing under 21 football, realising it wasn't working, but, instead of going the whole hog and reintroducing something like the old Football Combination, came up with the dog's breakfast that is under 23 football.

I can't talk about other sides, but I've seen players who looked more ready for the first team in our youth side than they did in the Under 23 team (Tommy O'Sullivan, Josh Yorwerth, Cameron Coxe and Sion Spence all being examples that I can come up with without thinking too long about it).

Neil Warnock used the Under 23 side to introduce players too old for youth team football (the McKays being a notorious example), but, in my opinion, Ciaron Brown is the only one who may make a first team player and he is not showing any signs of improvement when restricted to a diet of Under 23 football.

Brentford and Huddersfield took the step of closing their Academies and stop "competing" at under 23 level. Although, its woeful recent record when it comes to producing first team players makes dumping the Academy a tempting idea, I would keep it, but would have no problem with us abandoning our Under 23 team.