+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Will Vaulks

Re: Will Vaulks

Quote Originally Posted by LeningradCowboy View Post
    Are any of them even remotely ready to play Championship football?
    Probably not if Coxe is the most promising.

Quote Originally Posted by LeningradCowboy View Post
    Are any of them even remotely ready to play Championship football?
    Looking at our midfield at times this season, I've thought they were crying out for someone who could do the same sort of job that Bowen did for the under 18s, Patten and Pinchard are good all rounders who can play in a variety of positions and when I saw Bolger (who seems to have been injured for much of this season) playing back in August and September I thought he was someone who could play for the first team by the end of the season.

My point is more that at other clubs facing the likelihood of a few weeks at the end of the season with nothing to play for, I feel the conversation about who could replace a player about to be sold would include the question "do we have any youngsters coming through who could come in?" - the likelihood is that we could find out without important league points being lost come April and May and I'm sure there would be some blooding of youngsters at most other clubs under the same circumstances.

Unless you're talking about a Ramsey, there has to be a gamble involved when giving a youngster a debut, but we often did it two or three times a season until the thinking that our young player of the year has to about twenty five took a hold - it doesn't help either to have fans writing Cameron Coxe off completely after two appearances.

Quote Originally Posted by J R Hartley View Post
    Just hasnt happened for him here. Thought he was harshly treated by Warnock but Harris doesnt seem to rate him either.
    Yeah, that is a worry.

The problem is some already have it in for Harris. **** has a lot of posters against him. Would he survive a run of defeats giving youth a go and trying to play a more passing game. Hes in a difficult position.

Talking of Ramsey even he was underused by Dave Jones. Should have been a regular but was comfined to bit part player.

Quote Originally Posted by the other bob wilson View Post
    Here's a novel thought, we could give one of Sam Bowen, Keenan Patten and Harry Pinchard, who were all good in a successful Welsh Under 19s in November a squad place - there's also Aaron Bolger and one or two others I can think of who could come into the squad, especially if the season fizzles out in the same way as 14/15 did.
    sounds good to me

I watched the U23’s at Coventry today. They actually try and play some football with far less hoofing it aimlessly. Sam Bowen hit the post in the first half and scored a well taken goal just after half time. It was a decent performance from a young side but I didn’t see anything that made me think any of them will be in the 1st team anytime soon.

Quote Originally Posted by Burntwood Blue View Post
    I watched the U23’s at Coventry today. They actually try and play some football with far less hoofing it aimlessly. Sam Bowen hit the post in the first half and scored a well taken goal just after half time. It was a decent performance from a young side but I didn’t see anything that made me think any of them will be in the 1st team anytime soon.
    To be fair, that's the feeling I usually have after watching the Under 23s.

What? That none of them are good enough to make the step up?... I’m surprised to see you writing that

I watch a lot of Non-league football and the Southern League & Welsh PL in particular are littered with ex-City academy players and many are disappearing without trace, as they're not good enough for that level. It's a great shame but the vast majority simply go into free fall and tumble through the leagues until they find their (low) level.

Quote Originally Posted by StraightOuttaCanton View Post
    What? That none of them are good enough to make the step up?... I’m surprised to see you writing that
    I am surprised to read that too, although I'm not surprised that not many have made it through the ranks.

From what I have heard and read, there isn't much to get excited about from our youngsters and the ones that possibly could make the step up we loan out.

If you (TOBW) do not think that the youngsters could make the step up then I'm a bit confused as to why you are banging the drum for them in this and other threads

Must be difficult to be in and out of the team. I bet if he got a run of 10 games and a bit of confidence and stability he'd be a good player. Very quick to judge you lot are

I've only watched highlights so probably not best qualified to have an opinion, but i'm going to have one anyway. From what i've seen these U23 games look like an exhibition, slow and not very competitive. Some of the players look technically sound, although it seems that they allow eachover the time and space to look good , which doesn't happen at first team level. They need to bring back real competitive reserve team football where if you did well you had a real chance of stepping up into the first team, An environment that pitted 17 year olds against 30 year olds, trialists, has beens and never beens and established good players coming back from injury as well as the odd player who was demanding a transfer. There would be scouts at these games and a real prospect of a move or loan, and it was very competitive.

Quote Originally Posted by delmbox View Post
    Must be difficult to be in and out of the team. I bet if he got a run of 10 games and a bit of confidence and stability he'd be a good player. Very quick to judge you lot are
    He can't be rewarded with a run of games when he plays like an arsehole. Like Coxe in the two cup games, he has to take his chance when it comes up, neither of them have.

Quote Originally Posted by Tuerto View Post
    He can't be rewarded with a run of games when he plays like an arsehole. Like Coxe in the two cup games, he has to take his chance when it comes up, neither of them have.
    Your point is fair but it's a vicious circle isn't it? He's barely played, Warnock cast him out after one mistake against Reading and now he's been in and out of the team, never had a run. I just don't think we're the type of club who can afford to be all "he's shit get rid of him" with this amount of evidence.

Your point is fair but it's a vicious circle isn't it? He's barely played, Warnock cast him out after one mistake against Reading and now he's been in and out of the team, never had a run. I just don't think we're the type of club who can afford to be all "he's shit get rid of him" with this amount of evidence.
    Great post

Maybe you're right, although there can be other factors as to why players don't seem to get an opportunity or a fair crack, sometimes the manager doesn't trust their character or might think that they go missing when things get tough, simply put, they just don't like the player and they'll put someone else in who wont go missing or hide even when they have less ability. Who knows?

I've only watched highlights so probably not best qualified to have an opinion, but i'm going to have one anyway. From what i've seen these U23 games look like an exhibition, slow and not very competitive. Some of the players look technically sound, although it seems that they allow eachover the time and space to look good , which doesn't happen at first team level. They need to bring back real competitive reserve team football where if you did well you had a real chance of stepping up into the first team, An environment that pitted 17 year olds against 30 year olds, trialists, has beens and never beens and established good players coming back from injury as well as the odd player who was demanding a transfer. There would be scouts at these games and a real prospect of a move or loan, and it was very competitive.
    I'm still not entirely sure why the authorities persist with the U23 or who it benefits and agree the old reserve fixtures should return, although with 18 man squads going to first team games and the amount of fixtures at that level we'd probably see a U23esque team turn out for the 2nds anyway. The old format was occasionally something of a shambles with teams not being able to fulfil fixtures and some clubs foregoing a reserve team in some years. (I think I'm remembering that right).

For all that, I don't think the system is an excuse for our lack of 1st team local talent in the last ten years. Bellamy reckoned there were capable players so why the consistent failure?

Quote Originally Posted by Don Corleone View Post
    He’s been injured all his career, who in their right mind would sign him, oh hang on, we did
    Classic Warnock, but it's ok he got us promoted so we have to forgive him for everything

Maybe you're right, although there can be other factors as to why players don't seem to get an opportunity or a fair crack, sometimes the manager doesn't trust their character or might think that they go missing when things get tough, simply put, they just don't like the player and they'll put someone else in who wont go missing or hide even when they have less ability. Who knows?
    I don't know the guy personally but from what I've read about him it doesn't seem his character is something that we should worry about

Quote Originally Posted by Bluebirdman Of Alcathays View Post
    I'm still not entirely sure why the authorities persist with the U23 or who it benefits and agree the old reserve fixtures should return, although with 18 man squads going to first team games and the amount of fixtures at that level we'd probably see a U23esque team turn out for the 2nds anyway. The old format was occasionally something of a shambles with teams not being able to fulfil fixtures and some clubs foregoing a reserve team in some years. (I think I'm remembering that right).

For all that, I don't think the system is an excuse for our lack of 1st team local talent in the last ten years. Bellamy reckoned there were capable players so why the consistent failure?
    When a young footballer gets to 17 or 18 and they're showing promise then they need competitive football against players that know all of the tricks, the stuff that can't be taught. They may not even be very good, although they'll be wise if they've carved out a pro career on not much ability. That's where people learn in every aspect of the workplace, it's not exclusive to footballers. These U23 games are against lads who are give or take at the same level developmentally, how can that be good for them? I don't know what the answer is and i don't know if established footballers would fancy a reserve game against Bristol City on a wednesday evening anymore, although the players who aren't getting a look in don't play competitive football anymore. If reserve team football was a real pathway to the first team (which it used to be)then surely that would benefit everyone? The u23 set up is a joke, they're glorified youth team matches.

I don't know the guy personally but from what I've read about him it doesn't seem his character is something that we should worry about
    I wouldn't have thought so. Maybe he just doesn't fit into a Warnock/Harris team, which seems a bit odd as Warnock signed him.

I wouldn't have thought so. Maybe he just doesn't fit into a Warnock/Harris team, which seems a bit odd as Warnock signed him.
    Classic Warnock

Rumours of interest in Vaulks across the bridge.

Quote Originally Posted by Don Corleone View Post
    He’s been injured all his career, who in their right mind would sign him, oh hang on, we did
    😂

Everyone thought he was a tough tackling, box to box midfielder. In every game I've seen him play he constantly gives the ball away and is completely bypassed when we are out of possession. I think they just decided he's not up to it.