+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Facebook.

Re: Facebook.

I still have an account but I basically don't use it for about the last 5 years, apparently most active users these days are in the older age groups.

It is scary what they have been doing with data though.
    Completely innocuous looking quizzes etc are being used to (quite accurately) predict your political leanings and then "adverts" are tailored to what will be the most persuasive to you (they appear as news stories so don't really look like "adverts").

The example I saw was some really random quiz, something like what sitcoms you remember from the 90s or something and based on the responses it either showed you articles praising trump or criticizing Clinton in ways that would be the most seductive for Thot group of people.

Quote Originally Posted by SLUDGE FACTORY View Post
    I was thinking of putting a photo of my Wanger on facebook , it's very similar to my mugshot to be fair
    Ate you saying you are a dickhead?

Don't and won't do FB.
    I've seen "Don't F**k with cats".
    Too many saddos out there.

It has its merits if you have friends and family living far away from you ,you can stop,hide, and reports the stuff you don't want to see, I'm guessing if you get political add's they are picking up on your reading ,friends or references to politics , can see how it could happen other wise , unless your name along with others was sold by some unscrupulousness body to a political party you subscribe too >>

IE The Facebook–Cambridge Analytica data scandal was a major political scandal in early 2018 when it was revealed that Cambridge Analytica had harvested the personal data of millions of peoples' Facebook profiles without their consent and used it for political advertising purposes.

while we all hate adverts, does it matter if they are political or not, if you are swayed to vote for " this or that party " by a advert on facebook, maybe you should look at your level of research of important decisions and maybe refrain from voting

Quote Originally Posted by blue matt View Post
    while we all hate adverts, does it matter if they are political or not, if you are swayed to vote for " this or that party " by a advert on facebook, maybe you should look at your level of research of important decisions and maybe refrain from voting
    Loads of shit on there though isn't there? Like anti Vax crap etc. So Reddit says like

Use it quite a bit. I’ve managed to filter out the shite and generally only see posts from people I like.
    The garbage my wife’s friends who post pictures of their perfect fake families and old school friends who have just build an extension thankfully I don’t see any more. there is a great blocking tool you can use without causing offence by deleting that person entirely, just unfollow them and You don’t see any of their crap anymore.
    Never seen any political jargon and can waste time for hours watching videos of all sorts of weird and wonderful things.
    I like it tbh.

Heisenberg

Quote Originally Posted by blue matt View Post
    Ok then. I'm sure the people who it affects have the self-awareness to do that.

Quote Originally Posted by xsnaggle View Post
    Whatsapp is completely different. A brilliant and free service. Long may it last
    They say with the internet, if you can't see what the product is, then usually you are the product.

Facebook didn't spend so much on WhatsApp not to monetize it. Start chatting about patio furniture in your what's app conversations and see how quickly you get ads for that in your Facebook