+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Bellingham from Birmingham to Manure £30M for a 16 yo

Re: Bellingham from Birmingham to Manure £30M for a 16 yo

Quote Originally Posted by MacAdder View Post
    I'm not in the habit of knocking the club per se but I have heard players being signed up when even younger than 14.

He wasn't the first we have "given away" down the years Toshack, Ramsey, Blake with no sell on clause, to name but three.
    The rules have changed since all three were sold, and lets be honest the Toshack and Blake transfers were generations ago.

Rabbi Matondo is the most recent case of losing the crown jewels of the academy and once Man City come knocking there was nothing Cardiff City could do. You cant bind a child to an employment contract at 14.

If a Category A academy want to come and poach a player from a Category B academy then, quite simply, they can and a compensation package has to be agreed for the training and development the original club provided.

Here is some kind of explanation to how it works

https://playerscout.co.uk/football-a...my-categories/

Unfortunately for the smaller clubs the big boys take advantage of the rules. Ive read that Man City are renowned for picking up kids for peanuts then selling them on for profit and they havent had a sniff of first team football.

Mattondos age group at Cardiff are now first year professionals. Wether he would have appeared in the first team by now is a seperate argument, but I wouldnt have thought so. Not under Warnocks watch.

Quote Originally Posted by NYCBlue View Post
    He had a good first half the other day. But he didn't stand out as being a possible £30M Man Utd player to me. They paid less than half that for Dan James.
    he's going to be much better than Dan James.

Quote Originally Posted by NYCBlue View Post
    He had a good first half the other day. But he didn't stand out as being a possible £30M Man Utd player to me. They paid less than half that for Dan James.
    He's 16.

Re Matondo, he left when he was 14. Nothing we could do. We also got 20/25% of his sell on to Schalke.

Quote Originally Posted by The Hooded Claw View Post
    Just look at the Wales OnLine column:

https://www.walesonline.co.uk/sport/...indow-17604126

Gavin Whyte, at 23 “is still young and will improve. He will also get used to the rough and tumble of the Championship in due course, too. But there is enough to suggest he is a sold acquisition with bags of potential”.

Isn’t this type of language more appropriate for a player around 19 years of age, rather than a 23 year old, who should be coming into the best years of his career?
    I know what you mean but with football being so much more tactical now, I wonder if the “prime” years have been pushed out a bit to take account of the increasing value of experience. I’m sure we see fewer teenage players now.

Not that it applies to our club of course, as we have decided to forego tactics

Where is Matondo??

Quote Originally Posted by life on mars View Post
    Where is Matondo??
    What one?

Quote Originally Posted by MacAdder View Post
    I'm not in the habit of knocking the club per se but I have heard players being signed up when even younger than 14.

He wasn't the first we have "given away" down the years Toshack, Ramsey, Blake with no sell on clause, to name but three.
    ..Toshack cost £110,000..which was massive in those days..and sell on clauses were unheard of

Quote Originally Posted by life on mars View Post
    Where is Matondo??
    Schalke

Quote Originally Posted by Bald Barry Bastad View Post
    Well we have another very talented 16 year old in Mayembe. Will the team have the bollox to give this kid his debut at 16 or will he shuffle off for nothing.
    Man on messageboard who sees kid kick a ball once in a blue moon demands gutless club who work with him every day give him first team debut

Quote Originally Posted by delmbox View Post
    Man on messageboard who sees kid kick a ball once in a blue moon demands gutless club who work with him every day give him first team debut
    🤣 Ha fair play made me laugh.. Know him a little better than that but the club obviously know best. I've just lost all confidence in the people behind the academy. 10 years since anyone has broken through is disgraceful and a damning indictment on their abilities.

Quote Originally Posted by Bald Barry Bastad View Post
    �� Ha fair play made me laugh.. Know him a little better than that but the club obviously know best. I've just lost all confidence in the people behind the academy. 10 years since anyone has broken through is disgraceful and a damning indictment on their abilities.
    hard to disagree with that, although I suppose you could argue that Matondo would have broken through if he hadn't been pinched. Fingers crossed for this lad

Quote Originally Posted by kendoddsdadsdogsdead View Post
    ..Toshack cost £110,000..which was massive in those days..and sell on clauses were unheard of
    Blake with no sell on clause, singular!

Rick Wright (called himself a business man) blew it, his eyes lighting up at the figure (meagre as it turned out) offered.
    I remember thinking at the time that we must have a sell on clause. There wasn't.

The sum for Toshack was a decent yeah but if I remember correctly was considered by many at the time less than he was worth.
    We ripped the guy's hand off again though and in doing so the fans knew that our chance of promotion had gone whether he was a success at Liverpool or not.
    He was!