+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results

Thread: Train travel

Train travel

Re: Train travel

17 hours to HK... i hear you

Quote Originally Posted by ToTaL ITK View Post
    17 hours to HK... i hear you
    I know right? It's under 13 from Heathrow direct.

you could try roughing it in business class ?

Going out in Bristol next weekend four of us looked for train tickets £38 return or £152
    I am going to drive us will cost maybe £20 petrol or £5 each

How can we really be expected to make moves towards public transport usage.

Corbyn promised nationalised railways.
    I see since January 2 privately owned rail providers are being bailed out by the government. Baring in mind they are shareholder run companies when will money come back to the tax payer.

WHAT THE ****? How is that even possible?

So how much does it cost to get to Reading on Saturday?

And how much is an Uber from Cardiff to London?

It's not right. That rail fare is for multiple passengers plus possibly first class

An open return from Cardiff to London Paddington costs around £200 without a railcard. Still ridiculous but it isn't £400+

Quote Originally Posted by NYCBlue View Post

by rail about a thousand pounds
    Uber will get you to the turnstiles for about 1500 quid

Quote Originally Posted by Eric the Half a Bee View Post
    It's not right. That rail fare is for multiple passengers plus possibly first class
    Ah yeah on second checking it is for 2 people, but it is standard class.

Still a ridiculous state of affairs.

The other problem is the sheer number of fares. I can sort-of see that advance fares should be cheaper than walk-on fares, and I can see the on/off peak thing. That's it. Four fares. Return should be double the price of a one-way. All tickets should have the same cancellation terms; should be transferrable to other trains on the same day etc. It's not like an aeroplane - it's not like you are guaranteed a seat anyway (even if you have a reservation).

I cannot get over the price of trains in the UK. I have a season ticket for a short journey into London. It costs the same as a season ticket to travel anywhere at any time in Germany. And the Heathrow express can **** off as well.

I travelled to London from Cardiff Central at peak times today on any time ticket I bought on Wednesday night and paid £284? I wasn't in first class mind.

Quote Originally Posted by NYCBlue View Post

71 quid off peak return.

I saw it on LinkedIn this morning.
    There was quite a debate on it.
    Someone posted, offering a chauffeur driven car and it reminded me that when I used to attend shareholders’ meetings in London, the Cardiff contingent would have a limo, as they said it was much cheaper, more comfortable and they could be dropped to the door.

Quote Originally Posted by insider View Post
    Corbyn promised nationalised railways.
    I see since January 2 privately owned rail providers are being bailed out by the government. Baring in mind they are shareholder run companies when will money come back to the tax payer.
    Isn't it a cheaper way to nationalisation , just wait until the franchises fails, and they fall out of contract , then take them over, than actually buying out a failed franchise, chuck them underserved tax payers money in the guise of heavy compensation , which would have been the Corbyn plan , isnt that rewarding failure .

Quote Originally Posted by Der Kaiser View Post
    71 quid off peak return.
    Not too bad. Still, makes football an expensive hobby. We paid five quid in gas and maybe less to get in in my day. We spent more on booze and food.

Quote Originally Posted by life on mars View Post
    Isn't it a cheaper way to nationalisation , just wait until the franchises fails, and they fall out of contract , then take them over, than actually buying out a failed franchise, chuck them underserved tax payers money in the guise of heavy compensation , which would have been the Corbyn plan , isnt that rewarding failure .
    Their contracts haven't run out yet though have they.
    Shit service, rediculous prices and shareholders still making money.
    The great commercial con job.

Quote Originally Posted by insider View Post
    Their contracts haven't run out yet though have they.
    Shit service, rediculous prices and shareholders still making money.
    The great commercial con job.
    Brian Souter successfully received a rather large bailout of one of his rail franchises, then months later, awarded him and his sister over £80m from company profits.

Quote Originally Posted by life on mars View Post
    The Corbyn plan was just to wait for the franchises to expire and then get a government run company to take over. No compensation needed.