+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results

Thread: Coronavirus: overhyped fear-mongering or potential mega doom?

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Re: Coronavirus: overhyped fear-mongering or potential mega doom?

I wasn't going to make further comment on this affair but I'm unable to resist. Presently official Chinese state media has attributed a worldwide coronavirus death toll of 906, virtually all of whom within China. To the best of my knowledge 100% of fatalities were of east-Asian origin. It seems 100% is the recovery rate of the very few Caucasians and others who became infected.

Let's say for argument's sake and in the interests of simplicity that this virus has been doing the rounds for one month (it's longer but still), in the same one month time frame prior to the virus' appearance 600 thousand Chinese citizens died every month, or just over 20 thousand each and every day. Assuming the Chinese are reporting the true numbers then the hysteria is indeed massively overhyped fear-mongering. But if it is and the Chinese know it why have they locked down dozens of their cities and their 400 million residents plus do tremendous harm to their economy and reputation?

As well as those cities and regions they've quarantined, giant cities such as Shanghai and the capital city Beijing are virtually deserted - without them being ordered to stay indoors - as any number of videos published by Westerners living there easily confirm to be true. Their citizens appear convinced some terrible plague is afoot.

Other videos have emerged showing what seem like perfectly healthy people being dragged from their homes and off the streets by police and health workers. Speculation is rife that the virus restrictions are being used as cover to arrest and disappear every person the Chinese Communist Party view as a threat. It's also being surmised as an opportunity to cull swathes of its aged population who cost a fortune to maintain via health care and pension payments.

Could any government be so evil as to release a new type of mild flu to then exaggerate its danger inside its borders while simultaneously downplaying its danger for the rest of the world purely to kill those citizens it doesn't want live any longer?

Quote Originally Posted by Organ Morgan. View Post
    I wasn't going to make further comment on this affair but I'm unable to resist. Presently official Chinese state media has attributed a worldwide coronavirus death toll of 906, virtually all of whom within China. To the best of my knowledge 100% of fatalities were of east-Asian origin. It seems 100% is the recovery rate of the very few Caucasians and others who became infected.

Let's say for argument's sake and in the interests of simplicity that this virus has been doing the rounds for one month (it's longer but still), in the same one month time frame prior to the virus' appearance 600 thousand Chinese citizens died every month, or just over 20 thousand each and every day. Assuming the Chinese are reporting the true numbers then the hysteria is indeed massively overhyped fear-mongering. But if it is and the Chinese know it why have they locked down dozens of their cities and their 400 million residents plus do tremendous harm to their economy and reputation?

As well as those cities and regions they've quarantined, giant cities such as Shanghai and the capital city Beijing are virtually deserted - without them being ordered to stay indoors - as any number of videos published by Westerners living there easily confirm to be true. Their citizens appear convinced some terrible plague is afoot.

Other videos have emerged showing what seem like perfectly healthy people being dragged from their homes and off the streets by police and health workers. Speculation is rife that the virus restrictions are being used as cover to arrest and disappear every person the Chinese Communist Party view as a threat. It's also being surmised as an opportunity to cull swathes of its aged population who cost a fortune to maintain via health care and pension payments.

Could any government be so evil as to release a new type of mild flu to then exaggerate its danger inside its borders while simultaneously downplaying its danger for the rest of the world purely to kill those citizens it doesn't want live any longer?
    Sounds like a load of old tosh to me.

Quote Originally Posted by Taunton Blue Genie View Post
    Spoken like the true complient thinker that you are. You'd be no fun at parties

Agree. Just the usual conspiracy rubbish that happens every time something out of the ordinary happens. Usually the same people spreading it too.

Quote Originally Posted by lardy View Post
    Agree. Just the usual conspiracy rubbish that happens every time something out of the ordinary happens. Usually the same people spreading it too.
    It's true that in excess of 20k Chinese every day and that a minuscule 900+ have officially croaked due to the coronavirus. If you disbelieve then provide a link that says differently. Not to labour the point but as it's you I need to, 600k Chinese dying in a typical month set against 900 over the past month because of a virus is only worthy of an inconsequential footnote to statisticians along with anyone with the brain power and motivation to spend 10 seconds thinking for themselves.

All who have perished are of an east Asian background. I might be wrong on that count. Again, if you think or believe to the contrary then provide a link to a credible source that states otherwise.

From what I understand Chinese TV channels, all state run of course, pump out advice around the clock to remain indoors unless it's absolutely necessary to venture outside and only then to do so while wearing a mask, or face arrest for disobeying. Also, vans equipped with a PA system tour the streets repeating the same message. It's easy to realise why paranoia has taken hold.

During this winter 10k U.S. citizens have so far conked out because of flu. As China has four times their population it's not unreasonable to presume 40k Chinese have gone the same way.

Wuhan, the epicentre of this virus outbreak (or fabricated hoax), saw large anti-government protests last summer as Hong Kong people were too. That's easy to confirm if you choose to tap a few keys. Now thanks to this virus no-one in Wuhan or Hong Kong dare to speak up.

Quote Originally Posted by Organ Morgan. View Post
    It's true that in excess of 20k Chinese every day and that a minuscule 900+ have officially croaked due to the coronavirus. If you disbelieve then provide a link that says differently. Not to labour the point but as it's you I need to, 600k Chinese dying in a typical month set against 900 over the past month because of a virus is only worthy of an inconsequential footnote to statisticians along with anyone with the brain power and motivation to spend 10 seconds thinking for themselves.

All who have perished are of an east Asian background. I might be wrong on that count. Again, if you think or believe to the contrary then provide a link to a credible source that states otherwise.

From what I understand Chinese TV channels, all state run of course, pump out advice around the clock to remain indoors unless it's absolutely necessary to venture outside and only then to do so while wearing a mask, or face arrest for disobeying. Also, vans equipped with a PA system tour the streets repeating the same message. It's easy to realise why paranoia has taken hold.

During this winter 10k U.S. citizens have so far conked out because of flu. As China has four times their population it's not unreasonable to presume 40k Chinese have gone the same way.

Wuhan, the epicentre of this virus outbreak (or fabricated hoax), saw large anti-government protests last summer as Hong Kong people were too. That's easy to confirm if you choose to tap a few keys. Now thanks to this virus no-one in Wuhan or Hong Kong dare to speak up.
    Do you not realise which bit of your post TBG and I think was a load of shit? He helpfully put it in bold, if you need to go back and check again.

Quote Originally Posted by lardy View Post
    Everything with you is a conspiracy theory, until suddenly it isn't. You have absolutely zero critical thinking capability!

I wonder how little natalie is doing?