+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 16 of 27 FirstFirst ... 67891011121314151617181920212223242526 ... LastLast

Thread: Coronavirus: overhyped fear-mongering or potential mega doom?

Re: Coronavirus: overhyped fear-mongering or potential mega doom?

Quote Originally Posted by Organ Morgan. View Post
    Another abysmal day when everything was pounded lower, including sterling, and it happened a day after the US Treasury Secretary, the British Chancellor and other financial bigwigs promised to make 'whatever it takes' and 'unlimited' liquidity/stimulus (yes, soft and cuddly words for debt) measures available. Tomorrow's stock markets futures prices indicate a repeat horror show is odds-on.

In his brief 8-minute summary, our Greg goes further than ever before in the first 90 seconds... bar for some miracle the world's going Mad Max in short order.

When you say everything pounded lower, what about the Euro, Dollar, Yen and the Yuan versus Sterling?

I meant the pound fell against the US dollar, the world's reserve currency. All of them orbit around that one.

I meant the pound fell against the US dollar, the world's reserve currency. All of them orbit around that one.
    I read that some dimwit, predicting the imminent demise of the European Union suggested that the UK was far better placed to manage the contagion enveloping us. Yet in that period the Pound has slipped from 1.20 to 1.06 against the Euro. What do the markets know about the strength of the UK economy now we have got Brexit done and we have control of our sovereign destiny I ask myself.

Countries compete to lower the value of their currencies especially relative to their biggest competitor(s), and from an exporting perspective UK gov will be delighted by sterling's decline against the dollar and euro. Trump banged on for ages for the US Fed to cut interest rates to become more competitive. Amongst those three currencies the UK's 0.25% interest base is the highest. These shenanigans is also known as the race to the bottom.

Quote Originally Posted by cyril evans awaydays View Post
    the imminent demise of the European Union suggested that the UK was far better placed to manage the contagion enveloping us.
    Imminent? Go back to school and learn how to read!

I read that some dimwit, predicting the imminent demise of the European Union suggested that the UK was far better placed to manage the contagion enveloping us. Yet in that period the Pound has slipped from 1.20 to 1.06 against the Euro. What do the markets know about the strength of the UK economy now we have got Brexit done and we have control of our sovereign destiny I ask myself.
    You've actually got that completely the wrong way round - European countries withing the Eurozone would be delighted to devalue if they could..

Quote Originally Posted by A Quiet Monkfish View Post
    You've actually got that completely the wrong way round - European countries withing the Eurozone would be delighted to devalue if they could..
    Which ones?

Which ones?
    All of 'em except the Krauts

Thanks for putting me straight. You will have to excuse my ignorance. There isn't much fact based analysis on here so your explanation is a refreshing change.

Thanks for putting me straight. You will have to excuse my ignorance. There isn't much fact based analysis on here so your explanation is a refreshing change.

When you say everything pounded lower, what about the Euro, Dollar, Yen and the Yuan versus Sterling?
    The dollar is looking handsome

interesting

Countries compete to lower the value of their currencies especially relative to their biggest competitor(s), and from an exporting perspective UK gov will be delighted by sterling's decline against the dollar and euro. Trump banged on for ages for the US Fed to cut interest rates to become more competitive. Amongst those three currencies the UK's 0.25% interest base is the highest. These shenanigans is also known as the race to the bottom.
    Not 0.25% now us it ?

Bank of England cuts interest rates to 0.1% to fight coronavirus fallout – business live

There are some crazy moves in the oil market tonight. US crude has closed 25% higher tonight, up $5 per barrel at $25.41, as prices surged back from Wednesday’s slump to a 17-year low.

30 minutes ago*· View more

Oil shot up on Trump's remarks to intervene in the oil price war; its rise has nowt to do with improving global trade. Major stock indices also rose today on more promises of infinite amounts of free credit being made available.

Oil shot up on Trump's remarks to intervene in the oil price war; its rise has nowt to do with improving global trade. Major stock indices also rose today on more promises of infinite amounts of free credit being made available.
    "We are trying to find some kind of middle ground," Trump said during a press conference Thursday at the White House. "It's very devastating to Russia because when you look at it, their whole economy is based on that and we have the lowest oil prices in decades so it's very devastating to Russia."

MAGA!

It's playing out as Mannarino stated it would. Humongous amounts of Monopoly money being pledged supposedly to stall an implosion that will deliberately fail. Heroic bankers did everything they could but alas nothing could save the world's monetary system from the effects of an invisible enemy.

Dempanic.

Quote Originally Posted by Nelsonca61 View Post
    Fecking nutters

Greg Mannarino was on top form over the weekend. The video below he posted last night in response to a Fed Reserve banker speculating the US unemployment rate could jump to 30% in the coming months from its present 4%. He points out the highest US unemployment rate during the 1920s/30s Great Depression was 25%. Today he's bound to have another fit with the Fed announcement that they will provide open-ended QE.

Another jaw dropping day on the world's stock markets. Not because of how much they fell, which has been the norm of late, but by the degree they shot up. I think the US Dow Jones led the charge by ending the day 11.3% higher, for its best session ever.

From what I can discern the buying stampede was sparked by hopes of yet more stimulus being made available.

Another jaw dropping day on the world's stock markets. Not because of how much they fell, which has been the norm of late, but by the degree they shot up. I think the US Dow Jones led the charge by ending the day 11.3% higher, for its best session ever.

From what I can discern the buying stampede was sparked by hopes of yet more stimulus being made available.
    This simply highlights the insanity that seems endemic in stock exchanges everywhere. Who could/would work in such an environment, fuelled by greed and fear? Sadly my hard-saved pension fund is subject to the whims of these guys - it's already lost about £45K in less than a month.

Quote Originally Posted by Gofer Blue View Post
    This simply highlights the insanity that seems endemic in stock exchanges everywhere. Who could/would work in such an environment, fuelled by greed and fear? Sadly my hard-saved pension fund is subject to the whims of these guys - it's already lost about £45K in less than a month.
    Further evidence of this insanity was provided today by the fact that all 3 main stock indices in the USA rose by about 6%. This despite the number of COVID cases reaching 82,000, the highest for a single country. 1100 deaths. With Easter just 2 weeks away the numbers will surely rocket up in that time. But Mr Trump says it will be back to normal by Easter, so no worries.

Deckchairs on the Titanic comes to mind.

Reality returns as US stock indices slip back down. Trump has found a new scapegoat as he blames General Motors for not making enough ventilators.