+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 19 of 27 FirstFirst ... 9101112131415161718192021222324252627 LastLast

Thread: Coronavirus: overhyped fear-mongering or potential mega doom?

Re: Coronavirus: overhyped fear-mongering or potential mega doom?

It looks like they've just made their first 10 grand!

Quote Originally Posted by Wales-Bales View Post

It looks like they've just made their first 10 grand!

Did anybody notice that Fauci & Birx were claiming the success of social distancing was responsible for a further reduction in the IHME data model? I thought the original prediction already took into account the influence of social distancing?
    Think the model gets regularly refreshed with actual data from places where social distancing has been applied. So its impact gets clearer over time and forecasts are adjusted.

Quote Originally Posted by Eric Cartman View Post
    Strange looking bunch ,where's their fashion sense ,what's the young guy far right wearing , is it some form of far right militia gear, he's got a massive zip on his trousers, he could easily store a semi automatic in there ??

I remember challenging a grade once after spending a lot of time researching a specific topic, and the lecturer at my top tier university said I didn't know what I was talking about. So I contacted the professor at MIT in America who was the originator of this particular field of study and he said my work was outstanding, and my understanding of the subject was at PhD level. It was then that I realised that most universities are treadmills, and that it was entirely possible to self-educate oneself if you have the requisite skillset.
    This university of yours, it was in a penthouse then was it?

Quote Originally Posted by the other bob wilson View Post
    This university of yours, it was in a penthouse then was it?
    I don't think the lift goes all the way to the top though! Possibly the most self-aggrandising paragraph I have seen, written without a scintilla of self awareness of how it would be received outside his head.

Quote Originally Posted by Baloo View Post
    Think the model gets regularly refreshed with actual data from places where social distancing has been applied. So its impact gets clearer over time and forecasts are adjusted.
    Forget that last post, Dr Fauci now saying they don't pay any attention to the IHME data model, they just observe other countries like China and Italy, but not Japan for some reason.

Heisenberg

Screenshot_20200413-124517.jpg

Uh-oh.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Ouch. Looks like the only thing about that post that wasn't fake was Gluey taking Ted Cruz's joke and making it look like his own!

Quote Originally Posted by cyril evans awaydays View Post
    Ouch. Looks like the only thing about that post that wasn't fake was Gluey taking Ted Cruz's joke and making it look like his own!
    I'm starting to have doubts about that PhD level essay!

It had already been doing the rounds on Reddit as an obvious fake.

Quote Originally Posted by Eric Cartman View Post
    It had already been doing the rounds on Reddit as an obvious fake.
    It's still funny though and highly plausible

We were initially given the impression that it would be almost exclusively that only the old and weak would die but that does not seem to be the case, our UK Government have been shockingly bad at handling this crisis.

Quote Originally Posted by trampie09 View Post
    We were initially given the impression that it would be almost exclusively that only the old and weak would die but that does not seem to be the case, our UK Government have been shockingly bad at handling this crisis.
    While I'm critical of the Government's handling of the crisis, I think it's wrong to say that only the old and weak were expected to die of the virus. The data available from China and places like South Korea and Hong Kong a month or more ago showed that small numbers of younger, seemingly fit, people were dying and I'm not aware of there being much of an increase in the percentage of such people passing away in Europe. Hardly surprisingly, the media concentrate much more on teenagers or younger who die than those five and six times their age, but I've not seen any reporting to say that the percentages are any markedly different from those seen in Asia.

While I'm critical of the Government's handling of the crisis, I think it's wrong to say that only the old and weak were expected to die of the virus. The data available from China and places like South Korea and Hong Kong a month or more ago showed that small numbers of younger, seemingly fit, people were dying and I'm not aware of there being much of an increase in the percentage of such people passing away in Europe. Hardly surprisingly, the media concentrate much more on teenagers or younger who die than those five and six times their age, but I've not seen any reporting to say that the percentages are any markedly different from those seen in Asia.
    The impression was not all but nearly all, that overwhelming it was the old and those with underlying health problems who were the ones likely to die, the reality now seems to be there a quite a lot of working age people dying, doctors and nurses unfortunately, that was not the picture painted in the early weeks of the outbreak over here.

Quote Originally Posted by trampie09 View Post
    The impression was not all but nearly all, that overwhelming it was the old and those with underlying health problems who were the ones likely to die, the reality now seems to be there a quite a lot of working age people dying, doctors and nurses unfortunately, that was not the picture painted in the early weeks of the outbreak over here.
    Possibly it was, but the actual stats were always showing that this wasn't the case. A month or so ago, my impression was that I wouldn't be too worried about the virus from my own point of view if I was in my twenties now, but there would be the nagging thought that I could be one of the unlucky ones in my generation if I caught it and my attitude wouldn't have changed in the mean time.

Possibly it was, but the actual stats were always showing that this wasn't the case. A month or so ago, my impression was that I wouldn't be too worried about the virus from my own point of view if I was in my twenties now, but there would be the nagging thought that I could be one of the unlucky ones in my generation if I caught it and my attitude wouldn't have changed in the mean time.
    I've heard it said that consultants and nurses by and large thought it was going to be the old and the weak themselves because they were mislead and they are in the trade so to speak.
    It was also implied that herd immunity was going to be the initial way forward as well, that didn't age well either.

Will the 2020 death rate be above or below the 5 year average?

Hell' bells, the WTI crude oil price crashed 19% overnight to stand at what it was 21 years ago at under $15 per barrel.

https://oilprice.com/

Quote Originally Posted by Organ Morgan. View Post
    Hell' bells, the WTI crude oil price crashed 19% overnight to stand at what it was 21 years ago at under $15 per barrel.

Almost like it's a plandemic

Current price is down to $13.50 for a 26% intraday drop.

Croesy, out of idle curiosity, do you prefer working from home in your undies to attending an office?

Quote Originally Posted by Organ Morgan. View Post
    Current price is down to $13.50 for a 26% intraday drop.

Croesy, out of idle curiosity, do you prefer working from home in your undies to attending an office?
    Yes it's an underpantdemic, see my thread on the politics forum launching at 15.00 today.

Whether the end of the world is nigh I don't know but the oil price suggests something is seriously amiss. It's now at $11 per barrel and minus 40% on the day.

Gulp.

Oil price is under $5 per barrel - down 73%!