+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: What's your Ethnicity?

Re: What's your Ethnicity?

Quote Originally Posted by Tuerto View Post
    My grandparents were Irish, Came to Cardiff looking for work and lived in Newtown which was where Tyndall St is now i believe. Known as 'Little Ireland' Both my parents were born in Cardiff. Alot of people in Cardiff will have Irish or south west English ancestry due to their close proximity to the industrial jobs that were offer in South Wales.
    Ditto. Newtown all demolished now. Throw in a bit of Italian, Welsh, English, probably Norman French and (going back to the 1400s and not proven) Scottish, best to say White European. Six nations is a doddle😁

I'm a Cardiffian.

Quote Originally Posted by Nelsonca61 View Post
    A few things I don't have from my Swedish heritage, being over 6ft, the lack of long blond hair, looks, charm, there is no one left in our family now who knows the village we originate from, my nan told me the village name many years ago when she was in the infirmary, I didn't write it down and only remember it was about 10 miles outside Stockholm, and I did meet my great nan before she died, she was married to Frederik Nielson my great grand father but he lost his life as a sailor (UBOATED) I keep saying it is on the bucket list to get sorted but never get around to doing it. I don't think I'm part of the IKEA family
    Fair play mate, that's a bit more exciting that my lot from Bandon-County Cork. You should try and find out. You're not a bad looking bloke by the way-Sludge said so...

Quote Originally Posted by SLUDGE FACTORY View Post
    Irish immigrants dug out cardiff docks , then they were dispersed all over the city , hence areas like ely , Canton, grangetown .....where the baseball team was called Grange Catholics......llanrhumney , splott etc all having to this day large Irish communities
    Coming over here with their hard work, major contributors towards industrialisation and prosperity, coming over 'ere with their Pick and shovels, building roads......

Quote Originally Posted by SLUDGE FACTORY View Post
    Have you seen straight outta Compton?

Is it worth watching
    Watch it... takes this discussion to another level. Great and powerful film.

Welsh British

My grandparents were Irish, Came to Cardiff looking for work and lived in Newtown which was where Tyndall St is now i believe. Known as 'Little Ireland' Both my parents were born in Cardiff. Alot of people in Cardiff will have Irish or south west English ancestry due to their close proximity to the industrial jobs that were offer in South Wales.
    ^^^similar except it was my great grandparents not grandparents.

Also white British.

https://youtu.be/tyaEQEmt5ls

Worth a watch. Certainly makes you open your eyes a bit.

White and Welsh.
    Great grandparents on my fathers side moved to Cardiff from England around the end of the 19th Century.
    Last edited by The Bloop; 26-01-20 at 17:36. Reason: .

White, Welsh not British.

Quote Originally Posted by Eric the Half a Bee View Post
    White, Welsh not British.
    Isn’t anyone born in the British Isles British? Even people born in the Republic of Ireland are from the British Isles aren’t they? Great Britain is only so called because it’s the largest of many British islands.

Scottish , Viking , Welsh Celt Gypsies , after my family trace back

My Dad's side are Canadian and German. Mother's side English and Irish mix. I was born in St David's Hospital so I am Welsh.

What do I win?

Quote Originally Posted by splott parker View Post
    Isn’t anyone born in the British Isles British? Even people born in the Republic of Ireland are from the British Isles aren’t they? Great Britain is only so called because it’s the largest of many British islands.
    As a collective they are the British Isles. A British citizen has to have been born in the UK (or abroad to British parents), which Ireland isn't. GB is England, Wales and Scotland. UK adds on Northern Ireland. Ireland might be geographically part of the British Isles, but is politically independent from Britain, like hopefully Scotland and Northern Ireland will be one day.

As a collective they are the British Isles. A British citizen has to have been born in the UK (or bi abroad to British parents), which Ireland isn't. GB is England, Wales and Scotland. UK adds on Northern Ireland. Ireland might be geographically part of the British Isles, but is politically independent from Britain, like hopefully Scotland and Northern Ireland will be one day.
    That’s my question, is anyone who is born in any of the British Isles British? I’d have thought so. A native of the Republic is British, by the fact that they’re from one of the British Isles. Perhaps it’s not to a lot of them their liking, much the same as we’ll still be Europeans after next Friday whether Farage’s lot like it or not.

I'm an Eskimo

(c) The Wanderers

I answered it. The Republic of Ireland is in the British Isles in a geographical sense, but politically anyone born there is Irish. Only people born in the UK (or outside of UK parents) are British citizens as Ireland is not joined to the UK politically.

So, no. Irish born people aren't British.

I answered it. The Republic of Ireland is in the British Isles in a geographical sense, but politically anyone born there is Irish. Only people born in the UK (or outside of UK parents) are British citizens as Ireland is not joined to the UK politically.

So, no. Irish born people aren't British.
    I just read an article ‘The problem of being British when you’re Irish’, confused me more than ever

politically independent from Britain, like hopefully Scotland and Northern Ireland will be one day.
    No desire for Wales to also be independent?

First Team Forest Green Bluebird's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by NYCBlue View Post
    White Welsh. With some English mixed in. But I don't like to talk about that.
    Ditto ... although I am also proud to be a Cornishman.

Quote Originally Posted by Harry Paget Flashman View Post
    No desire for Wales to also be independent?
    Yes, I would like that, but it's not going to happen in my life time. With the number of English already here the vote is already lost.

British Asian

Although both parents were Welsh, my Fathers family hailed from Cornwall and My Mothers from the North East.

Coming over here with their hard work, major contributors towards industrialisation and prosperity, coming over 'ere with their Pick and shovels, building roads......
    Taking our jobs and women

Quote Originally Posted by StraightOuttaCanton View Post
    Watch it... takes this discussion to another level. Great and powerful film.
    I loved nwa , dr dre and ice cubes solo stuff and ice t for that matter