+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results

Thread: [Spanish] car rental - how do they make their money ?

[Spanish] car rental - how do they make their money ?

Last summer - end of June - rented 10 days for £48. The car was a brand new Ford Focus with satnav, and less than 500km on the clock. Pretty much the same year before.

When collecting the car pretty much everyone else [like us], had bought their own excess insurance, so that angle has gone.

Was told they buy at big discount and sell on but depreciation would wipe out any profit. £38 per 10 days taken over 12 months is barely £1500

Car must have cost £20k - pos £18k with discount. 40% depreciation in yr 1 in real terms rules out re-sell to make profit.

Can't figure it out !

Re: [Spanish] car rental - how do they make their money ?

They find a scratch, charge you the cost of fixing but never do the work.

It annoys me when you go round the car at the start with all the nicks and dents pointed out, and you know the previous hirers have been charged for them and they're still there.

Quote Originally Posted by lardy View Post
    They find a scratch, charge you the cost of fixing but never do the work.

It annoys me when you go round the car at the start with all the nicks and dents pointed out, and you know the previous hirers have been charged for them and they're still there.
    True. Took photos of car before drove away

have a bump and you havn't taken out the collision waver it will cost you a fortune

Quote Originally Posted by A Quiet Monkfish View Post
    Last summer - end of June - rented 10 days for £48. The car was a brand new Ford Focus with satnav, and less than 500km on the clock. Pretty much the same year before.

When collecting the car pretty much everyone else [like us], had bought their own excess insurance, so that angle has gone.

Was told they buy at big discount and sell on but depreciation would wipe out any profit. £38 per 10 days taken over 12 months is barely £1500

Car must have cost £20k - pos £18k with discount. 40% depreciation in yr 1 in real terms rules out re-sell to make profit.

Can't figure it out !
    That sounds like a very good price. Ive paid twice that for a day before, and been given a deal old car. But yeah at 48 for 10 days, it won't add up

I rented a car in the US and they have the complete opposite approach, not particularly cheap but still affordable, I paid about $30 for the 'complete' insurance cover on top of the advertised price, ended up writing the car off after 3 days when someone smashed into the back of us at 80mph.

I was dreading the hidden costs, them trying to wrangle themselves out of it, and everything else that comes with it. I rang them up could not believe how casual they were had a laugh about how bad the car was, they towed it away and drove a replacement car straight to me. Did not have to do a statement or sign anything.

They didn't even want the other drivers details to claim against them, said they will just write the car of with their own insurance.

Quote Originally Posted by Optimistic Nick View Post
    That sounds like a very good price. Ive paid twice that for a day before, and been given a deal old car. But yeah at 48 for 10 days, it won't add up
    It's pretty much the going rate - just checked now and it works out between £4.50 and £5.00 a day. Still doesn't answer the question though..