Paterson and Tomlin - dream team.

Re: CARDIFF CITY v W.B.A. Match thread

kenneth zohore... kenneth zohooooore
    8 fncking million
    and you still cant score...

Re: FT: CARDIFF CITY 2 - 1 W.B.A. Match thread

Quote Originally Posted by Eric the Half a Bee View Post
    Paterson and Tomlin - dream team.
    Paterson did well. People talk about Glatzel having the ball played into his feet... yeah, he can control a ball and lay it off when it's a simple pass to feet. So can Paterson. But Paterson can also do other stuff, too.

Tomlin: an actual footballer. I've always valued talent over effort, and he's got plenty of the former.

Good result. WBA are a good side with good players. We are not a good side yet, but we are no mugs either. Well done everyone.

Fantastic result

When a save is worth a goal, outstanding save

Quote Originally Posted by dembethewarrior View Post
    Cardiff city fans - warnockball isn't working

Also Cardiff city fans - Let's play Paterson up top and hoof the ball to a guy who struggles to trap the ball under his foot

Let's just pump the ball long, gifting WBA a team with pace who can at a bit, the ball all game.

Let's be clear. I think most of us got frustrated with Warnockball. However, you're not going to get a massive change of approach with a Warnock-built group of players and continue to be competitive.

Tonight showed we can still mix it with the best teams in the division. We're showing more of a passing, patient game instead of aimless long ball. These things take time. If Paterson makes us successful at the moment, should we decline and say we're ditching results for aesthetics?

West Brom victims of their own stubbornness. They buggered about for ages prior to Tomlin’s goal, encroaching, being pushed back by the ref, encroaching again, ref gets the spray out, they even did it again, gave Tomlin loads of time to size things up, work his angles out etc. If they’d have retreated straight away would he have had the time to pick out where it was going? We’ll never know but they certainly allowed him to pick his spot at his leisure.

I thought it was a half-decent performance overall. Smithies, Morrison, Nelson, Vaulks, Paterson and Tomlin did well.

Cardiff 2 - 1 W.B.A.

Lee Tomlin's perfect free kick earns a huge 3 points for Cardiff v West Brom.

But credit also to Alex Smithies who produced a stunning reflex save in added time to deny ex Bluebird Ken Zohore from levelling.

C:WindowsTempphp15CC.tmp

A forgettable first half saw few chances as the fans froze in the stands with little to warm them up. Albion wasted one chance that flew over the bar as as the game progressed they saw too many efforts miss the target.

With the second half barely a few seconds old a lapse in concentration from Albion presented Cardiff with a throw in. Will Vaulks launched it into the box and the Albion defence paniced. Sean Morrison saw his shot blocked but Callum Paterson made no mistake to fire it into the roof of the net.

The visitors continued to manage possession but continued to struggle in the final third. For a team hoping for automatic promotion their wheels were starting to wobble. But they got a lifeline. Jazz Richards was caught out and fouled Felipe Krovinovic to give WBA a penalty.

A minute earlier Charlie Austin and Ken Zohore had come on for Albion and it was Austin, with his first kick, who levelled from the spot.

But now we saw a different Cardiff. Until then City has struggled to pass and struggled to keep possession. But with Paterson leading from the front City went into fight mode. They might have been second best at passing, second best with possession and second best with number of chances but they out-fought the visitors and ground out a special win when Lee Tomlin nailed a free kick into the top left hand corner to put Cardiff back in front.

There was almost a late twist as Ken Zohore seemed certain to score but Alex Smithies instictively made an incredible injury time save to preserve the scoreline.

The play offs are still in reach and we get to do it all again on Friday for a Championship clash with Reading, ko 7:45pm.

They were very physical and we matched them. Paterson back to his old self, Vaulks is improving, I thought Nelson Morrison and Bennett were solid and Tomlin is different class. Smithies is our number one. We’re a better team with Ralls in it so hopefully he comes back soon. They’re a good side but we deserved the three points in my opinion, let’s kick on from here...

Quote Originally Posted by Fine Lines View Post
    I love it when a plan comes together.
    Saw another poster say he's scored or set up 9 of our last 15. I'm not sure we can afford to leave that for the last 30 mins.

Quote Originally Posted by Optimistic Nick View Post
    Good refereeing there. Fed up of players falling on the ball and forcing a decision. Good - **** you.
    Happens way too much, and they don't in such an entitled way too..

Quote Originally Posted by Optimistic Nick View Post
    Paterson did well. People talk about Glatzel having the ball played into his feet... yeah, he can control a ball and lay it off when it's a simple pass to feet. So can Paterson. But Paterson can also do other stuff, too.

Tomlin: an actual footballer. I've always valued talent over effort, and he's got plenty of the former.

Good result. WBA are a good side with good players. We are not a good side yet, but we are no mugs either. Well done everyone.
    Paterson can't control the ball when passed into feet. I wish I had the skills to compile a YouTube video.

Quote Originally Posted by Eric the Half a Bee View Post

Let's be clear. I think most of us got frustrated with Warnockball. However, you're not going to get a massive change of approach with a Warnock-built group of players and continue to be competitive.

Tonight showed we can still mix it with the best teams in the division. We're showing more of a passing, patient game instead of aimless long ball. These things take time. If Paterson makes us successful at the moment, should we decline and say we're ditching results for aesthetics?
    I've said more than once I'm ok with not getting results this season, because I don't think if we reach the play offs and miraculously go up it would be any different to last year, so personally I'd rather see us develop partnerships on the pitch to benefit us further down the line, so (for not the first time I've said this) players like Tomlin and Glatzel playing to get an understanding going, I'd like to see Vaulks and Ralls given a chance as a more mobile pairing in CM.
    Morrison and Nelson seem to be playing ok and Smithies behind them, so a solid core of a team- Keeper, CB pairing, CM pairing and a link between midfield and attack -

Agree we have started to pass more and be more patient, Morrison actually playing the ball low and into midfield last night and in other recent games and not automatically hoofing it up, it's coming along, I agree.

Zlatan was a big lad who scored goals at Barca, but they preferred Messi, we aren't Barcelona and Paterson and Glatzel are not Zlatan and Messi 😂 but I'd rather see us carry on with changing the style, it's not going to happen quickly with the players, you're spot on there mate, but good understanding and partnerships over the rest of the season and a few outs and ins in the summer could really help us move on.

(I am also not expecting us to play like Barca, or even Fulham for that matter, just retain the ball more and still keep some of the threat we poses now)