Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Paterson and the rest of this squad

Re: Paterson and the rest of this squad

Quote Originally Posted by Gnojek View Post
    Ian Marshall.
    John Charles

Quote Originally Posted by life on mars View Post
    I remember the headline early 90's I think , bit of a old bruiser .

I think a few big lumpy strikers started out as centre halves back in the day , due to their ability in the air and physical presence .
    And that's Paterson's strength. He's not really a number 10 with deft touches or subtly timed runs into the box. Can only presume he was used as a right back at Hearts because he liked getting forward.

John Charles
    Only in the youth teams.

I remember the headline early 90's I think , bit of a old bruiser .

I think a few big lumpy strikers started out as centre halves back in the day , due to their ability in the air and physical presence .
    Early 90s Paterson probably makes a career as a striker.

Games come in a bit though, Bob and that were making some good points the other day on how the striker role has changed, yet our lot would be happy to throw Paterson up top, I wish I could find the replay of him and his terrible first touch sat, you just can't afford that with a striker.

Quote Originally Posted by dembethewarrior View Post
    Early 90s Paterson probably makes a career as a striker.

Games come in a bit though, Bob and that were making some good points the other day on how the striker role has changed, yet our lot would be happy to throw Paterson up top, I wish I could find the replay of him and his terrible first touch sat, you just can't afford that with a striker.
    If we had Jay Bothroyd up there, this debate wouldn't be happening.

The debate is whether or not Paterson is better than what we have. Sod what position he held before he signed. We're clearly not going to be bringing a new striker until we offload the shite we already have.

So is Paterson more effective than Glatzel, Bogle, Vassell and Ward? Given his previous in attacking positions in this division and in the Premier League, it's difficult to argue that he isn't.

Quote Originally Posted by Eric the Half a Bee View Post

The debate is whether or not Paterson is better than what we have. Sod what position he held before he signed. We're clearly not going to be bringing a new striker until we offload the shite we already have.

So is Paterson more effective than Glatzel, Bogle, Vassell and Ward? Given his previous in attacking positions in this division and in the Premier League, it's difficult to argue that he isn't.
    Not for me, we look better when we actually TRY to play the ball into Glatzels feet.
    As soon as I see Paterson up top as the leading man I know we're getting the ball hoofed up, we lose it more than we retain it.

First Team Forest Green Bluebird's Avatar

I would strike a happy medium and play Glatzel in the first half and Paterson in the second and tell both whoever scores the most gets half million bonus, much cheaper than forking out another 6 million on a unproven striker.
    Great idea ... that may work!

Quote Originally Posted by Forest Green Bluebird View Post
    Great idea ... that may work!
    For such a big guy, he doesn't half go down easily. Most of the time it's deliberate, he's trying to 'buy' a free-kick, but he's not subtle enough at doing it. Referees soon cotton on to what he's about, this often works against him, as stonewall free-kicks in his favour are not given.
    The frustrating thing is, he sits on his ass waving his arms around as play continues, when he should be trying to defend a counterattack or support an attack.

Quote Originally Posted by Rock_Flock_of_Five View Post
    For such a big guy, he doesn't half go down easily. Most of the time it's deliberate, he's trying to 'buy' a free-kick, but he's not subtle enough at doing it. Referees soon cotton on to what he's about, this often works against him, as stonewall free-kicks in his favour are not given.
    The frustrating thing is, he sits on his ass waving his arms around as play continues, when he should be trying to defend a counterattack or support an attack.
    Yeah but that arm waving is what gets the fans going mun

I would strike a happy medium and play Glatzel in the first half and Paterson in the second and tell both whoever scores the most gets half million bonus, much cheaper than forking out another 6 million on a unproven striker.
    good idea

Id say Patterson is our most effective striker at the moment. Whenever I’ve seen Glatzel defenders seem to manage him quite easily, Plato always seems to be a nightmare even when he isn’t scoring.

If Patterson played as many minutes as a striker as Glatzel I think he’d have more than 4 goals.

Obviously a proper decent goal scorer would be better than Patterson but we don’t have that.

Quote Originally Posted by Croesy Blue View Post
    Id say Patterson is our most effective striker at the moment. Whenever I’ve seen Glatzel defenders seem to manage him quite easily, Plato always seems to be a nightmare even when he isn’t scoring.

If Patterson played as many minutes as a striker as Glatzel I think he’d have more than 4 goals.

Obviously a proper decent goal scorer would be better than Patterson but we don’t have that.
    We should have tried signing his mate Socrates.

The others should be ashamed if an overweight failed right back is taking their spot.

Paterson had decent scoring record before his injury last season when playing as Scotland's centre-forward.

Since regaining his fitness, he hasn't regained his place in City's line-up under either Warnock or Harris. For me. there must be a reason for this. He's certainly bulked up this season - which I would put down to work in the gym (hopefully).

He seems to have a knack of often being in the right place at the right time - his away goal at Liverpool and his goal against Brentford, for example. I also believe he has a decent sense of what's going on around him as shown by some of the passes he plays. I've often thought "How did he see that!". And he's combative and good in the air.

It's a mystery to me why he's not played more up front this season. I'd take him over Glaxo and Nadine any day.

Quote Originally Posted by 198bore View Post
    The others should be ashamed if an overweight failed right back is taking their spot.
    Over weight? He’s in great shape, he’s just a big lad.

At Charlton away people were calling mendez Laing fat too. He’s got a 6 pack ffs. Have any of our fans ever been to a gym?

Over weight? He’s in great shape, he’s just a big lad.

At Charlton away people were calling mendez Laing fat too. He’s got a 6 pack ffs. Have any of our fans ever been to a gym?
    Edit: Ripped failed right back.

Quote Originally Posted by 198bore View Post
    Edit: Ripped failed right back.
    His best position definitely isn’t right back I agree. He definitely does a job as a utility championship footballer too. He’s better than any of the bang average strikers we have too.

Weird you back down on him being overweight so quick, were you just saying it to be an arse?

Quote Originally Posted by Eric the Half a Bee View Post

I agree , give him the shirt

Quote Originally Posted by Cyclops View Post
    Paterson had decent scoring record before his injury last season when playing as Scotland's centre-forward.

Since regaining his fitness, he hasn't regained his place in City's line-up under either Warnock or Harris. For me. there must be a reason for this. He's certainly bulked up this season - which I would put down to work in the gym (hopefully).

He seems to have a knack of often being in the right place at the right time - his away goal at Liverpool and his goal against Brentford, for example. I also believe he has a decent sense of what's going on around him as shown by some of the passes he plays. I've often thought "How did he see that!". And he's combative and good in the air.

It's a mystery to me why he's not played more up front this season. I'd take him over Glaxo and Nadine any day.
    Me too , get stuck into them

Indeed let's go with what we have

Quote Originally Posted by SLUDGE FACTORY View Post
    Indeed let's go with what we have
    Good start to the second half at least

Fecking have it

Well done paterson

Well done city

Some sore faces on here tonight

Get behind the team ya silly sods

Fecking have it

Well done paterson

Well done city

Absolutely. Give him the no 9 shirt.

Quote Originally Posted by Cyclops View Post

Deserves a bump imo

Fecking have it

Well done paterson

Well done city

Couldn’t agree more, only striker we have that causes problems.

We aren’t signing a Chopra or a Bothroyd so we should use the best option we have.