+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results

Thread: Another "I don't believe it" moment..bat spit coffee

Another "I don't believe it" moment..bat spit coffee

Bat spit is becoming a hit with coffee fans. https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/live/business-51238597

Apparently coffee beans nibbled by bats end up with a uniquely smooth flavour sending their prices soaring, according to a Reuters report:

It says prices for the speciality bourbon pointu coffee grown in central Madagascar’s Itasy province have soared to nearly $110 per pound (£84.17).

Bourbon pointu beans without bat spit sell for around $101 per pound, more than 50 times the price of commodity-grade coffee, the report says.

“It’s very special,” Ronald Van der Vaeken, a local Belgian hotelier told Reuters. “Normal coffee, after two minutes, you forget the taste - but this coffee stays a very long time in your mouth."

It's not the first animal-enhanced coffee trend: southeast Asia’s Kopi Luwak coffee is made from beans salvaged from civet cat poop; Thailand has elephant dung coffee; and there’s a Costa Rican bat coffee.

In the light of the corona virus problem in China, this is doubly ironic!

Re: Another "I don't believe it" moment..bat spit coffee

I've had something liek Luwak when I was in indonesia but it's from Lima's not cats.

Quote Originally Posted by Gofer Blue View Post
    Bat spit is becoming a hit with coffee fans. https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/live/business-51238597

Apparently coffee beans nibbled by bats end up with a uniquely smooth flavour sending their prices soaring, according to a Reuters report:

It says prices for the speciality bourbon pointu coffee grown in central Madagascar’s Itasy province have soared to nearly $110 per pound (£84.17).

Bourbon pointu beans without bat spit sell for around $101 per pound, more than 50 times the price of commodity-grade coffee, the report says.

“It’s very special,” Ronald Van der Vaeken, a local Belgian hotelier told Reuters. “Normal coffee, after two minutes, you forget the taste - but this coffee stays a very long time in your mouth."

It's not the first animal-enhanced coffee trend: southeast Asia’s Kopi Luwak coffee is made from beans salvaged from civet cat poop; Thailand has elephant dung coffee; and there’s a Costa Rican bat coffee.

Starbucks do absolutely nothing to their Coffee, no bats, Camels or horses and it still tastes like shit.

Quote Originally Posted by Croesy Blue View Post
    I've had something liek Luwak when I was in indonesia but it's from Lima's not cats.
    Lima's?

Quote Originally Posted by Rjk View Post
    Lima's?
    Lemur perhaps?

Lima's?
    Yes lemur

At first I wondered if the report was dated 1st April, but no! The original Reuters report is dated Jan. 27, 2020 / 10:10 AM.

Maybe file under the "Emporer's New Clothes" - another must-have product. Costs £200/kg.

Quote Originally Posted by Croesy Blue View Post
    Yes lemur
    They arent lemurs, they only live on Madagascar.
    They aren't cats either, but theyre similar.

When i was a kid me and my mates tried to make a hot drink out of stingy nettles, Stingy nettle tea that is. It tasted of nothing. I reckon that i could market it in one of these Boutique coffee shops for mums who have **** all to do apart from interrupt each over when talking about themselves. Wholly organic, healthy, sustainable and local and good for a persons wellbeing (whatever that means) I'd make a mint (nettle)

Quote Originally Posted by Tuerto View Post
    When i was a kid me and my mates tried to make a hot drink out of stingy nettles, Stingy nettle tea that is. It tasted of nothing. I reckon that i could market it in one of these Boutique coffee shops for mums who have **** all to do apart from interrupt each over when talking about themselves. Wholly organic, healthy, sustainable and local and good for a persons wellbeing (whatever that means) I'd make a mint (nettle)
    I've had nettle tea plenty of times. You're about 15 years too late there

They arent lemurs, they only live on Madagascar.
    They aren't cats either, but theyre similar.
    Aye Aye ?

Lima's?
    Maybe it was in Peru

Quote Originally Posted by Tuerto View Post
    Just add that it's good for "detox" then you are onto a winner.

It must be exhausting being you, most days you're aghast at something that has no effect on your life

Quote Originally Posted by delmbox View Post
    It must be exhausting being you, most days you're aghast at something that has no effect on your life
    Not at all! My wife tells me I am morphing into a Victor Meldrew, so this would be expected, typical behaviour. I just enjoy commenting on the absurdities of life rather than conforming to them!

My pet bat just read this and spat his coffee out.

Quote Originally Posted by Bluebirdman Of Alcathays View Post
    My pet bat just read this and spat his coffee out.
    Be very careful when you clean that up then - it is believed the new corona virus originated with bats. I wonder how the sales of the new speciality bourbon pointu coffee are going?

Be very careful when you clean that up then - it is believed the new corona virus originated with bats. I wonder how the sales of the new speciality bourbon pointu coffee are going?
    The sars outbreak in China in 2002 is believed to have originated in bats, they don't know for sure the origin of the coronavirus yet, other than the first people affected were in a wholesale food Market in Wuhan (so it could be bats).

Currently it appears to be slightly less deadly and slightly less contagious than SARS was

Not at all! My wife tells me I am morphing into a Victor Meldrew, so this would be expected, typical behaviour. I just enjoy commenting on the absurdities of life rather than conforming to them!
    I don't think many people are conforming to drinking bat spit coffee to be fair

How many people do you think are drinking bat spit coffee?

Conforming?! You are the one conforming to believing everything you hear that’s meant to wind you up and getting wound up by it.